As great as they are, we’re a bad matchup for the Saints

CCBoy

Reaction score
Their RBs do scare me. Either running or receiving they are very good.

We have not covered TEs well lately. That could be where Payton really attacks us.

The Cowboys box is solid and fast as well. Safety filling is strong also...the Cowboys should be one up on the Saints as to the running game.

The Cowboys need to limit drives for New Orleans and force a significant number of turn-arounds/punts. Third downs are key, both ways.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Unless you’re Tampa Bay in week one, you aren’t going to beat the Saints in a shootout. You need a running game that will eat the clock and keep Drew Brees off the field as long as possible, and a quarterback that won’t turn the ball over and give them any extra possessions. On defense, you need athletic linebackers that can cover Kamara sideline-to-sideline, as well as physical corners that can man their possession receivers straight up. We have the personnel on both sides of the ball to limit their explosiveness. Coaching is the main reason why we’re rightfully the underdogs, but if anybody has the makings to upset this Saints team while they’re hitting on all cylinders, it’s us. This could be 2009 all over again.

Aw, you're nuts!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the Saints great yet. The season still has a lot left to play out. They are red hot and have won 10 straight. We had a similar run in 2016 and lost first playoff game.

They will cool off at least a little at some point. Hopefully Thursday
Ya, injury-wise,we're liable to change the whole tempo of their season, I'm expecting to see their players dropping out& drug off the field left & right,,,:thumbup:

WhoDat21

Reaction score
Some of you cowboys fans need to seek some serious help for your delusion. Comparing the saints to teams that they blew out by 40 + points whom the cowboys barely queaked out a victory against. Thursday cant get here soon enough. The Saints are the Golden St Warriors of the Nfl and brees is Steph curry. 10 other teams prior to the cowboys had the same game plans and see how that worked out. I keep seeing posters saying yall have the defense to stop brees when you barely beat the sorry qbs in your victories. Brees is a machine this year. Another insult is saying cooper will need to be doubled...My God..do you know who the defensive Rookie of the year / Pro Bowl Cb is who will shadow him? His name is Marshon Lattimore. Please throw at him and thats if you have time..our d line has been beast this year led by cam jordan. Dak holds onto that ball waaay too long and he will get rocked...None of your Lbs can stay with AK..No matter what your telling yourself. This will be a reality check for a bunch of you.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Some of you cowboys fans need to seek some serious help for your delusion. Comparing the saints to teams that they blew out by 40 + points whom the cowboys barely queaked out a victory against. Thursday cant get here soon enough. The Saints are the Golden St Warriors of the Nfl and brees is Steph curry. 10 other teams prior to the cowboys had the same game plans and see how that worked out. I keep seeing posters saying yall have the defense to stop brees when you barely beat the sorry qbs in your victories. Brees is a machine this year. Another insult is saying cooper will need to be doubled...My God..do you know who the defensive Rookie of the year / Pro Bowl Cb is who will shadow him? His name is Marshon Lattimore. Please throw at him and thats if you have time..our d line has been beast this year led by cam jordan. Dak holds onto that ball waaay too long and he will get rocked...None of your Lbs can stay with AK..No matter what your telling yourself. This will be a reality check for a bunch of you.
Well...should we even bother showing up then?

Listen, this is a Cowboy board. You should expect to see some of our fans predicting victory. I would expect the same if our situations were reversed, and I visited your board.

That’s what fans do.

Anyway, most of us are saying we have a puncher’s chance. If you saw the poll posted earlier today, you would have seen that most Cowboy fans feel we could win about 3 games in 10 against you.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have to play agressive and not stop until it’s over, or we will lose
Yes, agree 100%. And the thing that has consistently driven me crazy about Jason Garrett is his tendency to play it safe instead of keeping the pedal down. If we play it safe Thurs night, we’re gonna get steamrolled.

WhoDat21

Reaction score
Well...should we even bother showing up then?

Listen, this is a Cowboy board. You should expect to see some of our fans predicting victory. I would expect the same if our situations were reversed, and I visited your board.

That’s what fans do.

Anyway, most of us are saying we have a puncher’s chance. If you saw the poll posted earlier today, you would have seen that most Cowboy fans feel we could win about 3 games in 10 against you.

No..stay home lol. I typically just stay silent and read, but some of these comments made me have to speak. Like people don't know who pro bowl cb Marshon Lattimore is and how he will be on cooper all game. I just see a bunch of comments and shake my head. I cant wait until thursday.

Bizwah

Reaction score
No..stay home lol. I typically just stay silent and read, but some of these comments made me have to speak. Like people don't know who pro bowl cb Marshon Lattimore is and how he will be on cooper all game. I just see a bunch of comments and shake my head. I cant wait until thursday.
It’ll be a tough match up for Amari no doubt.

But this board has had little to cheer about this season until the last few weeks. It’s hard to blame fans who finally see a little light.

Surely a Saints fan can understand that.

WhoDat21

Reaction score
It’ll be a tough match up for Amari no doubt.

But this board has had little to cheer about this season until the last few weeks. It’s hard to blame fans who finally see a little light.

Surely a Saints fan can understand that.

Consider the candle being blown out thursday..enjoy your night lol

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Unless you’re Tampa Bay in week one, you aren’t going to beat the Saints in a shootout. You need a running game that will eat the clock and keep Drew Brees off the field as long as possible, and a quarterback that won’t turn the ball over and give them any extra possessions. On defense, you need athletic linebackers that can cover Kamara sideline-to-sideline, as well as physical corners that can man their possession receivers straight up. We have the personnel on both sides of the ball to limit their explosiveness. Coaching is the main reason why we’re rightfully the underdogs, but if anybody has the makings to upset this Saints team while they’re hitting on all cylinders, it’s us. This could be 2009 all over again.

Running game isn't what eats the clock. First downs are. If you run well but can't strimg first downs together, you won't eat clock. If you eat clock, but don't score, you'll lose.

Sydla

Reaction score

We are in no way a “bad” matchup for a team that has basically blitzed the league for weeks now.

And it’s not coaching that separates us. They have the much better QB as well.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Neither can I Friend-0!
We'll see " who's who" ,,,and,,, who is still healthy enough to see the field the following week:lmao:

* yer' staring at a big dose of black cloud bad luck here real soon:thumbup:

Verdict

Reaction score
Is their run defense really that stout or do they look better than they are because their offense scores so fast and often that opposing teams have to abandon the run early? Either way, we’ve seen Zeke run all over a bunch of stout run defenses over his career.

I was surprised how well we ran on the Commanders the second game and the Eagles. They both have stout DLines.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The only hope looking at their schedule this year is we can emulate the Ravens game. They have a somewhat similar team and are one of only 2 teams to hold them under 30 this year.

But even in that game, the Saints controlled time of possession. What kept the Ravens in that game was not only good defense but no turnovers.

I really believe that if the Cowboys can find a way to get the ball in Zeke’s hands 20+ times and not turn the call over then they’ll win.