As great as they are, we’re a bad matchup for the Saints

catiii

Reaction score
Another overlooked key is the "12th man" == our home crowd being noisy as HE double hockey sticks when the Saints O has the ball so they can't hear the count or any audibles!!!! :flagwave:

rynochop

Reaction score
Going to have to somehow get pressure on Brees..I think we're going to need a couple turnovers to have a chance. I also want to see Dak take off and run more instead of taking those damn sacks, also him take off on RPOs, he's a good runner, use him.
I also think we'll need some help from the refs, the dbs need to be aggressive even if you get some PI calls, they can't call PI every play

cristglo

Reaction score
I was surprised how well we ran on the Commanders the second game and the Eagles. They both have stout DLines.
Those games Sua was playing LG Now its a strong possibility that CW will be back at LG Plus Martin and Smith being hurt does not help us one bit.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Another overlooked key is the "12th man" == our home crowd being noisy as HE double hockey sticks when the Saints O has the ball so they can't hear the count or any audibles!!!! :flagwave:

I always yell till I'm hoarse at the games. Against Washington, the crowd got a stupid wave going and people were standing and yelling when it got to their section. It was really loud, but the problem was that we were on offense. When it came to to make noise when the skids were on offense, esecially on third down, they didn't make a peep. I yelled "All you idiots that were making noise during the wave need to yell now!" It did no good. Fortunately there were a lot of fans there like me so it was loud, but if all those wave people and yelled too it would have been deafening. They were mostly younger crowd too.

JayFord

Reaction score
We win this game if we score touchdowns in the red zone

If we settle for field goals were losing 45-6

dckid

Reaction score
Unless you’re Tampa Bay in week one, you aren’t going to beat the Saints in a shootout. You need a running game that will eat the clock and keep Drew Brees off the field as long as possible, and a quarterback that won’t turn the ball over and give them any extra possessions. On defense, you need athletic linebackers that can cover Kamara sideline-to-sideline, as well as physical corners that can man their possession receivers straight up. We have the personnel on both sides of the ball to limit their explosiveness. Coaching is the main reason why we’re rightfully the underdogs, but if anybody has the makings to upset this Saints team while they’re hitting on all cylinders, it’s us. This could be 2009 all over again.

I don't know. I think the Saints barring freak injuries is the real class of the league. They have the perfect combination of the new college style offense along with great running game and great coaching. Sean Payton isn't Andy Reid stupid he knows how to manage a game.
We cant win if we are trying to convert 3 to 4 third downs on every drive, we need to play Canadian football, get first downs in 2 downs and not be forced to convert 10 3rd downs in this game. Once we get cross the 50 we need to make sure we get points, it has to be 4 down territory.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
If they're not great after 10 straight then what are the Cowboys after 3 straight against bad teams?
Only problem is we may be missing not just our center but 2 other starters on the OL as well. Have not heard any updates on Martin and mr. 77. Our run game will suffer if we don't have those 2 guys.

Creeper

Reaction score
To be honest I am shocked the Cowboys are 6-5 this season. I expected them to win 4 games. I didn't think the Cowboys would beat the Eagles or Falcons. I am still not on board with this team being that good. I will be shocked if the Cowboys can keep this game close.

What makes the Saints so good on offense is Drew Brees. He finds the open guy, throws to all receivers, gets rid of it quickly negating the rush, and he doesn't take many sacks. His OL is pretty good both run and pass blocking. I worry about the Cowboys DTs against the Saints OL. The best way to defend against Brees is for the DL to get their hands in the air and knock down his passes.

The Saints defense is a lot better than they get credit for. Hopefully the Cowboys fans at the stadium will make a lot of noise to slow the pass rush. If Tyron Smith is out, its going to be tough for Dak.

JReed1000

Reaction score
My take:
Offense -Linehan is going to have to adapt...If we run of 1st down 99% of the time we will lose...I say throw on 1st an dif we get anything more than 5 yards we run on 2nd and 3rd...we have got to keep the clock moving. Drew Breeze can put up 7 points in a minute and a half.

Defense: 3 Down Lineman 2 Line Backers and 6 DB/Safeties. We have to put our quickest Team on the field. Tackle well. We have got to get a few 3 and outs. It'll make a big difference.

I keep thinking about how we beat that 13-0 Saints Team in NO. Anything is possible.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I do think our style of defense is the best type against the Saints: Just be sound, don't give up huge plays, keep things in front of you and make tackles.

A higher-risk blitzing type defense is the kind a vet like Brees will eat alive.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If I had my guess Sean will have plenty of tricks up his sleeve. Remember when he killed us with Wade with the swing pass out of the backfield years ago? It was embarrassing and so simple.

That was before Wade. I think 2009 was the only game we had against them with Wade (Just checked and confirmed).

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We are a bad match up, as far as the players go if you're looking position vs. position. B. Jones can maybe handle Thomas, J. Smith can get to Kamara, etc. Lawrence should be able to get pressure on Brees.

The problem is the Cowboys don't have enough skill players to handle all of the Saints options - B. Jones handles Thomas, then Brees throws to the tight end or to Kamara out of the backfield, etc. In other words, the Saints can and will make adjustments, and our coaches can't...

WhoDat21

Reaction score

Half of that stadium will be saints fans. Did you forget who your neighbors were?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
If we save our best schemes and tricks for the playoffs, Dallas stands the best chance to beat the Saints when it counts.

If Dallas can only beat the Saints 1 time out of 10, let it be during the playoffs.
First things first. We have to get there first and winning Thursday would go a LONG way to achieving that goal.

JRFootball

Reaction score
We are a bad match up, as far as the players go if you're looking position vs. position. B. Jones can maybe handle Thomas, J. Smith can get to Kamara, etc. Lawrence should be able to get pressure on Brees.

The problem is the Cowboys don't have enough skill players to handle all of the Saints options - B. Jones handles Thomas, then Brees throws to the tight end or to Kamara out of the backfield, etc. In other words, the Saints can and will make adjustments, and our coaches can't...
Anything is possible in this game...both sides will be up and ready.....Dallas cannot double team anyone especially when they have two quarterback in the huddle...Dallas will see more schemes from Payton than any other offense they faced so far, very confusing for a defense.....Saints are loaded......still think it's going to be a close game.........anything can happen

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Anything is possible in this game...both sides will be up and ready.....Dallas cannot double team anyone especially when they have two quarterback in the huddle...Dallas will see more schemes from Payton than any other offense they faced so far, very confusing for a defense.....Saints are loaded......still think it's going to be a close game.........anything can happen

And we've got young dbs, Richard's gonna have to do a masterful job in the secondary...

AzorAhai

Reaction score
But even in that game, the Saints controlled time of possession. What kept the Ravens in that game was not only good defense but no turnovers.

I really believe that if the Cowboys can find a way to get the ball in Zeke’s hands 20+ times and not turn the call over then they’ll win.
I was really talking about the defenses. If Zeke doesn’t play well, this team is rarely going to win against any team. Let alone the Saints.

nathanlt

Reaction score
First things first. We have to get there first and winning Thursday would go a LONG way to achieving that goal.

And yet, the Saints would have identified our blueprint for beating them when the second meeting occurs in the playoffs. That's a concern. Obviously, we'd rather lose the first than the second.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...Now, for the defense in Big D. The Cowboys own the third-best defense in the NFC, allowing 331.1 yards a game. The defense is allowing 19.4 points per game, which is second in the NFC behind the Bears who are allowing 19.2 points per game.

Here is where things get interesting. The Saints have the best rush defense in the NFC, allowing 73.2 yards per game. But the pass defense? Dead last in the NFC and second to last in the NFL. They are allowing 285.7 yards per game in the air.

Obviously, the Saints are getting ahead fast and forcing their opponents to abandon the run in order to pass. Can the Cowboys remain calm, stay in the game and keep it close?...

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/11/27/dallas-cowboys-fight-saints-5-things/