Astros Just Keep Comin' Atya!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A.J. Hinch said in the post game interview that he's going to keep playing him. We'll see.

In other news, A.J. Hinch has agreed to a contract extension by the Astros. Details will come out tomorrow.

With White it's not just about this year it's about next season too with Gattis becoming a free agent this offseason.

Other than the 24 HR's the numbers Gattis has put up are meh to poor. I do not think the Astros will try to retain him. White is simply a better hitter. Has as much power and a much better batting eye.

kskboys

Reaction score
White is just a natural hitter... That's the best way to describe him. You'd look at him physically and you'd never think he could do what he's doing.

He's given this offense, which has underwhelmed for much of the season a real boost.

If he's not in the lineup every day, something's wrong.
We call him GG, for Garden Gnome, cuz that's what he looks like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
With White it's not just about this year it's about next season too with Gattis becoming a free agent this offseason.

Other than the 24 HR's the numbers Gattis has put up are meh to poor. I do not think the Astros will try to retain him. White is simply a better hitter. Has as much power and a much better batting eye.

Get out of my head.

Now they just need to get Tucker's head straight at the big league level.

I think he may have have been a little bit in awe when they called him up. Last I checked, he was batting .700 since being sent back down to Fresno.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Get out of my head.

Now they just need to get Tucker's head straight at the big league level.

I think he may have have been a little bit in awe when they called him up. Last I checked, he was batting .700 since being sent back down to Fresno.

Yeah, I don't have any worries about Tucker. He'll get it sorted at the MLB level.

Another one whom I think will get it sorted is JD Davis.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have high hopes for both. A successful Tucker would be nice in LF.

Not sure how Davis gets into the starting lineup though.

Maybe have him spell Bregman, Yuli and LF on occasion?

For all the offensive firepower the Astros have two areas have been "meh" for several seasons now: DH & 1B.

Yuli is an improvement over Chris Carter, but his stick isn't great for a first baseman. He can hit for average a little, but too little power and he doesn't walk. He has made himself into a decent 1B.

DH has underwhelmed also. Gattis better than Carlos last season, but he's underwhelming in the DH spot.

Davis is a better 1B than White.

If I had my druthers in the offseason the Astros would let Gattis walk via FA, let Marwin walk via FA (both are pretty much a sure thing IMO) and then trade Reddick (who's underwhelmed with the stick) and Yuli.

In 2019 I'd have White at DH, give Davis/Reed a shot at 1B, have an outfield of Springer, Tucker, Jake/Kemp.

I think it would be an even better offense than the Astros put out there in '17.

As a side note one of the disappointments I have with the team is the yearly injuries to Correa and Springer. They always seem to lose a chunk of games. I keep waiting for one or both to put together a .300 BA/.900+ OPS while playing 150 games but it ain't happening (often– Springer did play 150+ last year and his stats were excellent). They seem to be the 4th & 5th best hitters on the team after Altuve, Bregman & White (yeah I may be jumping the gun on this one). Just been expecting more out of Correa and Springer.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
For all the offensive firepower the Astros have two areas have been "meh" for several seasons now: DH & 1B.

Yuli is an improvement over Chris Carter, but his stick isn't great for a first baseman. He can hit for average a little, but too little power and he doesn't walk. He has made himself into a decent 1B.

DH has underwhelmed also. Gattis better than Carlos last season, but he's underwhelming in the DH spot.

Davis is a better 1B than White.

If I had my druthers in the offseason the Astros would let Gattis walk via FA, let Marwin walk via FA (both are pretty much a sure thing IMO) and then trade Reddick (who's underwhelmed with the stick) and Yuli.

In 2019 I'd have White at DH, give Davis/Reed a shot at 1B, have an outfield of Springer, Tucker, Jake/Kemp.

I think it would be an even better offense than the Astros put out there in '17.

As a side note one of the disappointments I have with the team is the yearly injuries to Correa and Springer. They always seem to lose a chunk of games. I keep waiting for one or both to put together a .300 BA/.900+ OPS while playing 150 games but it ain't happening (often– Springer did play 150+ last year and his stats were excellent). They seem to be the 4th & 5th best hitters on the team after Altuve, Bregman & White (yeah I may be jumping the gun on this one). Just been expecting more out of Correa and Springer.

Yuli has been clutch with runners in scoring position this year but you're right. Overall, not great for a first baseman.

I agree with Gattis and especially Reddick needing to go. Although I do like his defense. I'd hate to lose Marwin though but he's going to get a big offer from some teams and he can be replaced.

Not sure what to make of Correa and Springer. Not sure if the team brought them back too early because the A's were nipping on their heels or if they're just playing scared right now because they don't want to get injured since the postseason is just around the corner.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I would hate to lose Marwin and Yuli. Both guys played well under the bright lights last year. Guys that perform in the playoffs are hard to find.

I agree on both. Yuli has been nothing but clutch.

At some some point we have to see what the guys in the minors who have been blowing it up have to offer and make some hard decisions.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In referencing the lack of offense at home, there seems to be some talk about decreased visibility for RH batters since Tal's Hill was removed, the fence brought in and additional seating added.

Don't know of how big of a problem it actually is but interesting none-the-less.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I told yas not to worry about Keuchel early on and that he would right the ship :thumbup:

He isn't as dominate as he once was but did turn it around and corrected some things.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you guys are grossly underrating Yuli and Marwin. Yuli quietly batted .299 last year and works the pitcher and rarely swings at bad pitches. And Marwin might be the best utility guy in baseball.

This year, Yuli is top 10 w/ RISP.

Marwin's 2017 season was the outlier... He played above his typical numbers. This year is more like how he hits, which is OK, but he shouldn't be in the lineup for 500 at bats either. Regardless I don't see him signing with the Astros after this season ends.

Yuli is a top 10 w/RISP guy... But his power is limited and he doesn't walk. His OPS is awful. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the next "Marwin" for the Astros in '19, meaning he'll play some at 1B, 2B & 3B. If he has more at bats than Tyler White, then there's something wrong– White is the far better hitter.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I think you guys are grossly underrating Yuli and Marwin. Yuli quietly batted .299 last year and works the pitcher and rarely swings at bad pitches. And Marwin might be the best utility guy in baseball.

This year, Yuli is top 10 w/ RISP.

If I'm trading any of our starters, it's Correa. He could bring back some good prospects and maybe a solid starter to replace Keuchel.

I like Breg at short, Yuli at 3rd and then let Reed, White and Davis battle for 1st and DH. Try to keep Marwin as our super sub.

Reddick has underwhelmed. Add Tucker to the OF mix. Hopefully, the kid can figure it out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If I'm trading any of our starters, it's Correa. He could bring back some good prospects and maybe a solid starter to replace Keuchel.

I like Breg at short, Yuli at 3rd and then let Reed, White and Davis battle for 1st and DH. Try to keep Marwin as our super sub.

Reddick has underwhelmed. Add Tucker to the OF mix. Hopefully, the kid can figure it out.
They ain’t trading Correa. He’s having an off year, but he’s a freak.