At least the Cowboys have youth on their side

Fmart322

Reaction score
The only good thing so far going into the new calendar year is that the Cowboys are getting younger.

Before FA started, the Dallas Cowboys were the 6th youngest team in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure after FA we'll probably be closer to the top.

Now, I know getting younger doesn't always mean that the team will get better going forward but at least we're not old AND stuck with no money in free agency.

Imagine being the Dolphins right now. Old and broke.

https://bookies.com/nfl/picks/nfl-teams-average-age

2023 NFL Season - Week 1 Average Age

1.NY Jets
2.New Orleans Saints
3.Las Vegas Raiders
4.Buffalo Bills
5.New England Patriots
6.Pittsburgh Steelers
7.Houston Texans
8.Chicago Bears
9.Arizona Cardinals
10.Jacksonville Jaguars
11.Philadelphia Eagles
12.San Francisco 49ers
13.Miami Dolphins
14.Cleveland Browns
15.Detroit Lions
16.Tennessee Titans
17.Kansas City Chiefs
18.Denver Broncos
19.Minnesota Vikings
20.Carolina Panthers
21.Baltimore Ravens
22.Washington Commanders
23.NY Giants
24.LA Rams
25.Seattle Seahawks
26.LA Chargers
27.Dallas Cowboys
28.Indianapolis Colts
29.Atlanta Falcons
30.Cincinnati Bengals
31.Green Bay Packers
32.Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Last edited:

Fmart322

Reaction score
30 and over players: Anger, Kendricks, Martavis Bryant, Martin, Cooks, DLaw, Dak and Rush.

Dak, Rush and Cooks are 30. So only 5 over 30.

Anger is the old man at 35 and is the best in the league.
Punters, kickers and long snappers are definitely exceptions to the rule when talking about average team age.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Imagine being one of the youngest teams in the nfl and still having no future
I wouldn't say we have no future until we actually see them play.
Imo, QB is the only thing holding this team back. Of course that's not counting coaching, management and ownership.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Look what the youngest team in the league did in the playoffs. Dang near got to the chip game in the NFC, the Packers. It proves this is still a Young man's game and all the experience in the world can't overcome youth and high energy. Its simple. MAYBE we can bottle this blueprint GB showed and duplicate it in 2024.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
And Jerry keeps getting richer by the day. So what? Neither the team getting younger or Jerry getting wealthier is going to lead to a super bowl. That just isn't the goal with this FO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
After what we've seen so far in free agency I would be extremely angry if we extended him only after losing our starters. Especially Tyron Smith.
I just started a thread on Tyron. Can't believe they wouldn't beat the 6.5mil the Jets gave him.
Something has changed.

chicago JK

Reaction score
One of the reasons this draft is so important is we are starting to see a team that lacks youth core players on their rookie deals. Another poor draft will be really hard to overcome in the next several years. We are moving from a team with several really good young core players on rookie deals to a team with a ton of huge salaried players. Right now we have Tyler Smith, Bland, Ferguson. Who else should be included in this group outside of hope guys?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I mean that’s one way to look at it. Of course being a young team is good, but the young players have to be talented otherwise who cares. It’s just average age of the roster and doesn’t necessarily correlate to winning. We have some young studs obviously but also a lot of young tbd guys.

And right now after 28 years we deserve a franchise that will do everything to produce a Super Bowl or at minimum a championship game appearance- forgive me for not being overly impressed that we have a young roster

JBS

Reaction score
I wouldn't say we have no future until we actually see them play.
Imo, QB is the only thing holding this team back. Of course that's not counting coaching, management and ownership.
Yep. No future

Reactions: CWR

HungryLion

Reaction score
The only good thing so far going into the new calendar year is that the Cowboys are getting younger.

Before FA started, the Dallas Cowboys were the 6th youngest team in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure after FA we'll probably be closer to the top.

Now, I know getting younger doesn't always mean that the team will get better going forward but at least we're not old AND stuck with no money in free agency.

Imagine being the Dolphins right now. Old and broke.

https://bookies.com/nfl/picks/nfl-teams-average-age

2023 NFL Season - Week 1 Average Age

1.NY Jets
2.New Orleans Saints
3.Las Vegas Raiders
4.Buffalo Bills
5.New England Patriots
6.Pittsburgh Steelers
7.Houston Texans
8.Chicago Bears
9.Arizona Cardinals
10.Jacksonville Jaguars
11.Philadelphia Eagles
12.San Francisco 49ers
13.Miami Dolphins
14.Cleveland Browns
15.Detroit Lions
16.Tennessee Titans
17.Kansas City Chiefs
18.Denver Broncos
19.Minnesota Vikings
20.Carolina Panthers
21.Baltimore Ravens
22.Washington Commanders
23.NY Giants
24.LA Rams
25.Seattle Seahawks
26.LA Chargers
27.Dallas Cowboys
28.Indianapolis Colts
29.Atlanta Falcons
30.Cincinnati Bengals
31.Green Bay Packers
32.Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Honestly, people have been saying this about the cowboys for years now. For years the cowboys have been one of the youngest rosters in the league.

It has never translated into future momentum as far as getting over the hump because the FO never adjusts their strategy. They take the same approach to the offseason the very single year. Which is why there is stagnation.

Being one of the youngest teams in the league is meaningless if it never leads to anything.

JBS

Reaction score
That’s extreme….we can hate them right now but they currently have 5 All Pros under 25….theres some promise there.
We’ve had loads of talent before. They’ve all won nothing. I don’t have to name them, you know who they are. That’s not what the issue here is.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
That’s extreme….we can hate them right now but they currently have 5 All Pros under 25….theres some promise there.
It means nothing if they don't have the passion to win. Do you think Dak, CeeDee, and Micah are focused on winning? Not a chance. They young players want the same bag of cash those 3 are going after.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We’ve had loads of talent before. They’ve all won nothing. I don’t have to name them, you know who they are. That’s not what the issue here is.
I don’t disagree. I’m just saying to say we have no future is a bit extreme you could argue we have the best young talent in the league. Means nothing without the leadership I get it.