At least the Cowboys have youth on their side

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The only good thing so far going into the new calendar year is that the Cowboys are getting younger.

Before FA started, the Dallas Cowboys were the 6th youngest team in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure after FA we'll probably be closer to the top.

Now, I know getting younger doesn't always mean that the team will get better going forward but at least we're not old AND stuck with no money in free agency.

Imagine being the Dolphins right now. Old and broke.

https://bookies.com/nfl/picks/nfl-teams-average-age

2023 NFL Season - Week 1 Average Age

1.NY Jets
2.New Orleans Saints
3.Las Vegas Raiders
4.Buffalo Bills
5.New England Patriots
6.Pittsburgh Steelers
7.Houston Texans
8.Chicago Bears
9.Arizona Cardinals
10.Jacksonville Jaguars
11.Philadelphia Eagles
12.San Francisco 49ers
13.Miami Dolphins
14.Cleveland Browns
15.Detroit Lions
16.Tennessee Titans
17.Kansas City Chiefs
18.Denver Broncos
19.Minnesota Vikings
20.Carolina Panthers
21.Baltimore Ravens
22.Washington Commanders
23.NY Giants
24.LA Rams
25.Seattle Seahawks
26.LA Chargers
27.Dallas Cowboys
28.Indianapolis Colts
29.Atlanta Falcons
30.Cincinnati Bengals
31.Green Bay Packers
32.Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Aaron Rodgers and all those new free agent O-Linemen single-handedly boosting Jets to #1. LOL

Tampa Bay lost Brady and dropped to last. :oldcouple:

But being serious, I think this team needs vets. Vets who lead, mentor and know how to win the big game. Because the ones we have don't know.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Look what the youngest team in the league did in the playoffs. Dang near got to the chip game in the NFC, the Packers. It proves this is still a Young man's game and all the experience in the world can't overcome youth and high energy. Its simple. MAYBE we can bottle this blueprint GB showed and duplicate it in 2024.
We literally just did that in 2016 and had the best team we have had since the 90s. We didn't learn a thing.

tm1119

Reaction score
I wouldn't say we have no future until we actually see them play.
Imo, QB is the only thing holding this team back. Of course that's not counting coaching, management and ownership.
That’s like saying it’s a beautiful sunny day…as long you’re not counting all the clouds, gale force winds, pouring rain, and lightning.

The front office/ownership has been far and away the #1 problem for almost 3 decades now. And unless we get a Brady/Mahomes level QB to drag the team across the finish line it will continue to be.

CWR

Reaction score
Yep. No future
No kidding, we've seen these guys play. Maybe not the same exact combination, but we saw a better team get their bleeps handed to them in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Rebuild.

I think they're actually moving on from Dak.
I think you’re wrong. You’re just one of those hoping they are. With all the players we’ve lost we likely wouldn’t win 6-7 games next season without him. It’s obvious some of you are hoping for a top 10 pick after next season.

JBS

Reaction score
I think you’re wrong. You’re just one of those hoping they are. With all the players we’ve lost we likely wouldn’t win 6-7 games next season without him. It’s obvious some of you are hoping for a top 10 pick after next season.
1. They haven’t signed him yet. So their hope is just as good as your hope.

2. A top 10 pick is better than getting blitzed in the first round of the postseason again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
1. They haven’t signed him yet. So their hope is just as good as your hope.

2. A top 10 pick is better than getting blitzed in the first round of the postseason again.
I can assure you they’re not moving on from him prior to this upcoming season. No matter how bad some of you are hoping for that they’ll at least let him play out the final year of his contract. No way is Jerry entering the 2024 season with either Cooper Rush or Trey Lance as our starting QB. It’s NOT going to happen!

JBS

Reaction score
I can assure you they’re not moving on from him prior to this upcoming season. No matter how bad some of you are hoping for that they’ll at least let him play out the final year of his contract. No way is Jerry entering the 2024 season with either Cooper Rush or Trey Lance as our starting QB. It’s NOT going to happen!
There is literally nobody that expects them to move on from him before the season. Nobody cares if he’s gone before or after. They just want him gone.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
"Losing" those players is part of the rebuild.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
"Losing" those players is part of the rebuild.
They’re not looking to rebuild. No one is looking to rebuild after a 12-5 season with a division title. They’re losing players because they can’t afford to keep them. If we were looking to rebuild we would be active in free agency. All the contending teams from last season are retooling in free agency except us.

JBS

Reaction score
No extension doesn’t mean they’re moving on from him.
It’s going to be very hard to keep him if he isn’t signed. He’s going to hit the open market. He’s gone if that happens

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s going to be very hard to keep him if he isn’t signed. He’s going to hit the open market. He’s gone if that happens
They’ll still have time to come an agreement with him before he’s officially a free agent but it’s a risky move waiting until then. The hold up is likely with his side. His side held up his last extension.

JBS

Reaction score
They’ll still have time to come an agreement with him before he’s officially a free agent but it’s a risky move waiting until then. The hold up is likely with his side. His side held up his last extension.
There is no incentive for Dak to sign once the season starts. Unless he’s playing very poorly. At that point, he might as well wait to hit the open market. If he isn’t signed by the end of TC , I don’t think he stays. Doesn’t matter which side is holding the deal up. It won’t get done.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The only good thing so far going into the new calendar year is that the Cowboys are getting younger.

Before FA started, the Dallas Cowboys were the 6th youngest team in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure after FA we'll probably be closer to the top.

Now, I know getting younger doesn't always mean that the team will get better going forward but at least we're not old AND stuck with no money in free agency.

Imagine being the Dolphins right now. Old and broke.

https://bookies.com/nfl/picks/nfl-teams-average-age

2023 NFL Season - Week 1 Average Age

1.NY Jets
2.New Orleans Saints
3.Las Vegas Raiders
4.Buffalo Bills
5.New England Patriots
6.Pittsburgh Steelers
7.Houston Texans
8.Chicago Bears
9.Arizona Cardinals
10.Jacksonville Jaguars
11.Philadelphia Eagles
12.San Francisco 49ers
13.Miami Dolphins
14.Cleveland Browns
15.Detroit Lions
16.Tennessee Titans
17.Kansas City Chiefs
18.Denver Broncos
19.Minnesota Vikings
20.Carolina Panthers
21.Baltimore Ravens
22.Washington Commanders
23.NY Giants
24.LA Rams
25.Seattle Seahawks
26.LA Chargers
27.Dallas Cowboys
28.Indianapolis Colts
29.Atlanta Falcons
30.Cincinnati Bengals
31.Green Bay Packers
32.Tampa Bay Buccaneers
I thought last year they were the 2nd youngest behind the Fudgies.

Jayinem

Reaction score
We only have 4 players that were drafted by us left from last decade.

Dak, Zack Martin, Demarcus Lawrence, Jourdan Lewis.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There is no incentive for Dak to sign once the season starts. Unless he’s playing very poorly. At that point, he might as well wait to hit the open market. If he isn’t signed by the end of TC , I don’t think he stays. Doesn’t matter which side is holding the deal up. It won’t get done.
Resetting the market would be incentive to sign and I think he wants to stay with the Cowboys. He and the team have a history of lengthy negotiations dating back to two franchise tags. If he were having a poor season I think the Cowboys would be reluctant to extend him. If he ended with a poor season it would likely hurt his value in free agency. His value isn’t going to be any higher than it is now unless he has another great season, along with some playoff success. We’ll just have to see how it plays out.

JBS

Reaction score
Resetting the market would be incentive to sign and I think he wants to stay with the Cowboys. He and the team have a history of lengthy negotiations dating back to two franchise tags. If he were having a poor season I think the Cowboys would be reluctant to extend him. If he ended with a poor season it would likely hurt his value in free agency. His value isn’t going to be any higher than it is now unless he has another great season, along with some playoff success. We’ll just have to see how it plays out.
If the cowboys were willing to reset the market , the deal would be done by now