CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

Big_D

Reaction score
I hope Rush does great and wins every game he starts. I’m just not under the insane delusion that once Dak is ready to come back that Rush should keep starting.

Meanwhile in the real world, you have posters here OPENLY STATING they hope Dak comes back against Philly and flops to prove some point.

he won’t be back until Detroit for this exact reason. Because if they start him vs Philly and he does flop that won’t help the situation.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's a very interesting situation our defense has always been our weak link but now our defense has allowed less points in the first four games than the 85 Chicago bears.

Incomes Cooper Rush a guy who seems to be able to process information pretty fast read a defense throw accurately and do just enough to give us great football to watch and win games while our starter is out.

This ride will of course at some point come to an end but maybe not this week as many of the Rams cornerbacks are out and it seems like a pretty good time to get a win while they are not at full strength.

In my opinion Daks biggest attributes were his ability to stay healthy his incredible strength and athletic ability his price tag enabling us to put good players around him and his determination to try and improve his game every year.

Unfortunately Father Time catches everyone Dak struggles to stay healthy now. He commands a price tag that makes it more difficult to surround him with talent.
And he no longer puts the team on his back with his legs and moves the chains.
He still is a determined player to try and get better and improve his game which I will always admire.

It's dose not surprise me at all that a guy like Cooper Rush can come in and play smart mistake free football and succeed.

I'm happy to ride this train to the wheels fall off I just want to win I don't care who's under center.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.

Great post. Love reading your posts. You and I (and hopefully many others) see the QB situation similarly. So many seem to be more interested in picking sides, which is usually just the “Dak is great” crowd hating on Rush and the “Dak stinks” crowd lauding him. Dak is better than Rush and it isn’t even close and that doesn’t mean Dak is great, just that he is clearly better than a guy who is a backup at best and at almost 29 will never likely be anything else. Our only shot at long term success this year is with Dak as our QB. But damn Rush is doing a heck of a job for us this year. So psyched that Rush has won us a few games and kept us in the division race. I was all for getting a better backup this year but am now very happy to say I was wrong and that Rush deserves the job and am loving him now. I’m also fine if the coaches realize that this team is probably built to play a little more like we have under Rush and call things a little more conservatively on offense even when Dak is back and get him to just “run the offense” a little more.

Why can’t we just root for the team and not worry about being right or wrong about our player evaluations. I swear the first thing I see on here after big wins or losses is people falling all over themselves to post that the guy they said stinks indeed was bad - and often not even accurate. There’s no way a huge portion of this forum doesn’t just sit around rooting against certain players on what is supposedly their favorite team because they are more worried about winning their internet arguments than the team winning games.

Last edited:

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Before the season, I had TB as a win, Cincy as a loss, and the Rams as a loss. I hope my streak continues.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because that would be hypocritical?
You actually think it would be hypocritical to criticize a 7 year veteran "top 10" 40 billion $ QB for having the same stats as a 3 game backup "bum" that nobody wanted?

Creeper

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.

I do agree he is going to run into a defense he doesn't like eventually, but he has been sitting on the bench learning for a few years, in multiple systems. It is possible one of the lessons he has learned is to protect the ball better.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak had 10 TOs to start the season in 2021, while Rush had had only 4 from the defense. Of course the “Dak-led” offense would look better.

In 2021, Cooper beat the Vikings without the defense generating a TO. He already won against the Bengals without the defense generating a TO. Dak was. 0-3 when the defense didn’t generate a TO.

Quote comical people saying Rush is winning because of the defense, but Dak was not.
Let's not forget that Dak has also only led this team to SIX wins in his entire career when he didn't get 100 yards of rushing support.

Rush has done it twice in 4 starts.

75boyz

Reaction score
Are you familiar with the term irony?

Or insanity even. Like going with the same and expecting different results after 7 years of going nowhere.

And no, SleepNumber is incapable of playing within the confines of fundamentally sound football, run game, defense and special teams because in his mind only, he thinks he is Mahommes.

Change is good because the unknown element of postseason success is an option with Rush.
There's an outside chance at a Foles type run with Rush.

With SleepNumber, I can write the script of how it all plays out once playoff level competion starts.

So yeah, I'll stick with your version of irony and you go the insanity route.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Tick tock.....
new-year-countdown-260nw-506415883.jpg

LOL, hopefully BH takes daylight savings time into account. We get an hour extra before this turns into a pumpkin. But look at the bright side, when life gives you pumpkins, you make pumpkin pie. :muttley:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Nice post, as usual, Bob. I certainly agree with the comments on Rush's physical abilities in particular, though as I pointed out in prior posts, there is no NFL quarterback that doesn't have at least decent physical abilities, with hundreds of college quarterbacks coming out every year, the "weaklings" get weeded out pretty quickly. Aren't any NFL quarterbacks on a roster that can only throw a pass 40 yards, e.g. It's all a matter of degree.

But (once again) I digress.

Yes, it is a small sample size, but for what it's worth Rush to me does have the advantage over Dak in some areas of the mental aspect of the game. He does seem to have better pocket presence and better ability to make reads, and that goes a long way in being a successful NFL quarterback. Now is that alone enough to win SBs? Doubtful, at some point Rush will have to make the hard throw or the long across the field throw, and the lack of better arm strength will let him (and the team) down as he just doesn't have the physical ability to make the play, and if it's late in a game and 4th down, it will result in a loss....

blueblood70

Reaction score

great write up, do not need BB as buyer beware.

Matt castle 11-5 , bounced around as backup after and never was that player again, Bortles AFCCG, lost his job, now a career backup, Foles won a dang SB but before that he was what 21-2 as starter gets cut goes elsewhere, fails, comes back gets in late in a season on a great team, catching fire and wins sb, what's he done since? hes a career backup, I mean there are other like Matt flynn got paid RW comes in gets his job, dudes get traded and never became anything not even a good backup from my memory..
fans are so overreaction, add to Rushes cons, they aren't scoring a lot, not enough tds i mean our offense is very low in that stat right now. that could hurt us down the road.

Hes played great, exceeded all expectations, and I fully appreciate what hes done, however all sane fans with common sense can see hes not taken Daks job hasnt done anything to show hes the better of the 2..

Dak deserves his job back and it has ZERO to do with his contract, coaches know who is the best. Dak being unfairly judged as usual off game 1, yet another overreaction. we saw why that game was lost, most of it was not Dak.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go back and reread then if you can’t figure it out we’ll jot sure I can help ya
I don;t know which part you are objecting too...I made a few points in that statement.

1) Are we building a nice "round" team?
2) Have we drafted a QB in the higher rounds in the last decades? (crazy we've gotten away with it...sorta.)
3) Should we not try to draft a QB?

Not sure why you are so coy about it. If I had a gun to my head I'd say it's #3....you don't want a QB in the draft? Just say it.

I'm not entirely sure...it depends how this season proceeds...and who would be available. And I think it would be okay if we disagree about it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not sure who ever said he was the long term answer here in Dallas, we have been surprised he has done way better than a $1m backup does in the NFL. What he has done is exposed Dak for what he is as well. An average QB, so if he comes in now and doesn't do well with this same offense, and loses several games which he will at $40m a year, what will that tell you? Defenses have also figured him out too. Great QBs find different ways to beat you and are not as easy to get "figured out".
NONSENE, exposed dak how??

Do you have a time machine insert Dak into these games in the exact scenarios how the game unfolded to show Dak wouldn't have done better or worse or went further back in time and allow Rush to start game 1..LMAO

POINT and FACT, nothings been exposed, one has ZERO to do with the other.. Dak better period leave money out of it..thats nonsense in itself but trying to say Dak can't do this is odd,

11-0 in 16
5-0 run to launch us into the playoffs and a playoff win in 18
3-0 start to 2019 all said against weak comp and it was mirage, odd isn't that was rush is doing , yet go look at those final scores LMAO Dak beats them by larger margins
2020 was off to MVP type year stats wise lost games because the defense couldn't hold teams under 30, how would rush handle that?? got hurt, we will never know
2021 -6-0 run to start the year pus not only goes undefeated in the east it was so lopsided the Point differentials were laughable.

Daks also owns the division 2 of rush wins are within the division, correct? daks like 7-2 the last 9 against all of them and most weren't even a contest.
all By far more impressive win streaks and showed he can put up 30-40 when needed where Rush is not and never has been or will ne that type of QB...

now back to reality..dak haters please stop we see through this argument,. its not a debate you hate dak we get it.,..

starfan1

Reaction score
I don;t know which part you are objecting too...I made a few points in that statement.

1) Are we building a nice "round" team?
2) Have we drafted a QB in the higher rounds in the last decades? (crazy we've gotten away with it...sorta.)
3) Should we not try to draft a QB?

Not sure why you are so coy about it. If I had a gun to my head I'd say it's #3....you don't want a QB in the draft? Just say it.

I'm not entirely sure...it depends how this season proceeds...and who would be available. And I think it would be okay if we disagree about it.
No I’m ok with drafting another qb if one happened to fall in our laps. I guess I mistook your post as wanting cooper rush to he that guy which is stupid

your posting as of late is more of the ABD crew so I may have misinterpreted it