CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
A true fan wanting to see us lose and cowboys perform badly. You Dak lovers are a bunch of clowns

I guess by the same logic those pushing the "If Cooper Rush is undefeated and Dak comes back and loses" scenarios. must want the team to lose and perform badly when Dak comes back , sense they have jumped on the Cooper Rush train.

khiladi

Reaction score
We just happy watching Rush is exposing Dak for being the mediocrity he is, while watching the Dak’s make all sorts of excuses, like “should be interceptions”, as if Dak has never been top 3 in INTs by a DB in a season per some of these stat collectors. Heck, Dak had 5 in 4 games on 2020, per Football Outsiders.

Guy should have been picked off himself like 20 times against Tampa, throwing directly into double and trope coverage.

Last edited:

Xeven

Reaction score
Rush has proven that over paying for a elite QB is not required to win games. You can win it all with a decent QB if the rest of the team is also in good shape. Just ask Nick Foles.

I love Dak but would be better to keep more good players on the team with 40 million than just the QB. OL is extreemly important for example.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak had 10 TOs to start the season in 2021, while Rush had had only 4 from the defense. Of course the “Dak-led” offense would look better.

In 2021, Cooper beat the Vikings without the defense generating a TO. He already won against the Bengals without the defense generating a TO. Dak was. 0-3 when the defense didn’t generate a TO.

Quote comical people saying Rush is winning because of the defense, but Dak was not.

khiladi

Reaction score
He's a bus driver and probably capable of getting you to the dance. That requires some creative plays and playcalliing.
What folks don't realize is he's a better option than Dak.
The Dak you saw against SF and TB is the Dak the NFL has figured out.
Game over.

I mean anybody paying attention knew it. The problem was the OL and RG was so dominant, defenses were forced to play man against Dak which “hid” a lot of his warts. The fact is, any elite QB with the personnel Dak was afforded to play with, would be licking his chops

khiladi

Reaction score
The NFL is a QB-driven league period. Even when Flacco an Manning won the second time, they played at an elite level during the playoffs.

You are a contender over the years when you got a franchise QB, otherwise your up and down, the up being just a tease for a short period of time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok bob, what would you define as clock strike midnight??
1 loss? 1 bad game?
That isnt fair because other qb's are allowed to lose or have bad games.
The way I see it, the only way to be fair is for him to get 3 or 4 more games regardless of if cowboys lose or he has a bad game.

Right now everyone or many are just waiting for that loss or bad game, to say see this is the real rush. And that simply isnt fair.

Rush has surprised me with his play, and I and others would just like to see him play 3-4 more games, and see how he does.

Smart thing is to not rush dak back with sore and not fully healed hand, and let rush keep playing.

It also isnt fair to expect rush to win the next 2 games, 1-1 would be all we would expect of dak, so same should be true for rush.

If someone said after game one , what would you expect cowboy record to be at this point and after say the eagle game, many
would have said 0-6, with 1-5 at best. Now here we are @ 3-1, and could wind up 4-2 or 5-1 lol, or worst case 3-3.

The next 2 games are super big games for rush, and if his team mates and coaches help enough, he could win the next 2.
I dont know, but I like what I have seen from him so far, and he hasnt played like a bkup , he has played like a guy who could be
a starter, if not for cowboys, somewhere else.
You make some good points here. Just to clarify, what I mean by saying “the clock is ticking” on Rush is this:
  • I’m not wishing a bad game for him or saying that one bad game means he sucks. I like what I’ve seen so far too.
  • But I am saying I don’t think he’s more than a good backup QB. I’m glad he’s here and playing well. But he does not possess the arm strength or athleticism to make a lot of plays beyond the system he’s in.
  • If the defense is having a bad day, (and they will have one at some point) Rush is not the kind of guy to rack up 35-40 points when you have to have it. All the games he’s played in so far, the defense has been stellar. That won’t always be the case in a long season.
  • In the four games he’s started, the opponents have scored 17, 17, 16 and 10. Can he produce more than 25 points in a game that’s a shoot out? We don’t know yet.
  • When I say “the clock will strike midnight”, I’m referring to defensive coordinators at some point are going to have a much better book on how to take away what he likes. Every QB who plays more than a few games faces this.
I just want to win. Don’t care who’s starting at QB. But I honestly don’t think Cooper Rush is capable of what it’s going to take to be more than a good backup. We will see.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
You make some good points here. Just to clarify, what I mean by saying “the clock is ticking” on Rush is this:
  • I’m not wishing a bad game for him or saying that one bad game means he sucks. I like what I’ve seen so far too.
  • But I am saying I don’t think he’s more than a good backup QB. I’m glad he’s here and playing well. But he does not possess the arm strength or athleticism to make a lot of plays beyond the system he’s in.
  • If the defense is having a bad day, (and they will have one at some point) Rush is not the kind of guy to rack up 35-40 points when you have to have it. All the games he’s played in so far, the defense has been stellar. That won’t always be the case in a long season.
  • In the four games he’s started, the opponents have scored 17, 17, 16 and 10. Can he produce more than 25 points in a game that’s a shoot out? We don’t know yet.
  • When I say “the clock will strike midnight”, I’m referring to defensive coordinators at some point are going to have a much better book on how to take away what he likes. Every QB who plays more than a few games faces this.
I just want to win. Don’t care who’s starting at QB. But I honestly don’t think Cooper Rush is capable of what it’s going to take to be more than a good backup. We will see.

Yes. a popular narrative is that defensive coordinators make specific game plans to take away what makes Dak most comfortable and what has him having the most successful games offensive and QB production wise, when every QB in the NFL is going to have defensive coordinators who game plans to take away what makes them the most comfortable and what a allows to them to have the most success producing as a QB. There isn't a QB in the NFL who is immune to a good defensive game plan.

At some point Cooper Rush will either be tested through a defensive coordinator taking away or limiting what makes him the most comfortable. Or by the defense having an off day and Cooper Rush needing to score 30 points or more for the Cowboys to win the game. We were just fortunate so far this season, that the defense was able to hold things down enough to give Cooper Rush a chance to put the team in position to win. Would have been harder if the defense allowed the opposing offenses to go on a scoring frenzy of unanswered points, while the offense was stalling or settling mostly for field goals when the other team was having multiple TD drives.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Rush has proven that over paying for a elite QB is not required to win games. You can win it all with a decent QB if the rest of the team is also in good shape. Just ask Nick Foles.

Foles isn't really a great example. Brady threw for 500 yards and put up 33 points in the SB. Foles led the Eagles to 41 points by throwing for 373 yards and 3 TDs.

Rush has shown he can win games 23-17. He's never had to outgun a legend and put up 40. Foles has also since shown that performance was pretty much a fluke.

The Cowboys can obviously win some games with Rush, but "win it all" is another matter. What he's currently doing isn't going to win a trophy in this era of football.

Before someone gives the obligatory "Dak can't do it either" reply, please note that I never said he could. I don't think there's a SB winning QB on the Dallas roster, as I've said here many times.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Isn't that kind of like saying the economy will eventually hiccup? Or maybe even crash. Eventually it does happen. But in the meantime chug a chug a chug a, all aboard the Coop Train baby.

JBond

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.
Yes, I remember Lin. That was a fun run for Knicks fans (I am one). I also agree the clock is ticking on Rush. But man, it has been fun. Just need one more great game this week, and then we can all go back to arguing about good and bad Dak.

TWOK11

Reaction score
And a lot of "fans" can't wait for it.

I hope Rush does great and wins every game he starts. I’m just not under the insane delusion that once Dak is ready to come back that Rush should keep starting.

Meanwhile in the real world, you have posters here OPENLY STATING they hope Dak comes back against Philly and flops to prove some point.

Big_D

Reaction score
So after 4 games we come to the conclusion that he can’t start considering some of the starting QBs around the NFL? Or that a QB doesn’t need more time to find a groove and get comfortable? It’s not Rush vs Dak, it’s just the ridiculous talk that we have a superstar starting QB and some guy relegated to a backup role. It’s actually comical at this point.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Doesn’t chap me at all. I just want to win.
They keep saying that. Except I don’t see anyone irritated, at all, that Rush is playing well. Its some sort of projection and it’s strange.

As you said all anyone wants is to win and no one except a few that don’t like Dak care who is the QB we win with.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Dak had 10 TOs to start the season in 2021, while Rush had had only 4 from the defense. Of course the “Dak-led” offense would look better.

In 2021, Cooper beat the Vikings without the defense generating a TO. He already won against the Bengals without the defense generating a TO. Dak was. 0-3 when the defense didn’t generate a TO.

Quote comical people saying Rush is winning because of the defense, but Dak was not.
Our defense doesn’t seem much better to you vs then?
What is the scoring offense now vs then and the scoring defense? I really don’t know what the ranks were, but that should tell us something, right?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Yep. Is he worth 40m? No way, and I think most thought so.

But it was either that or lose him because there are other teams that would have given it to him. They made the right move, but I wouldn’t give him a third contract whether he wins or not. Maybe id do it if he was open to an extremely team friendly situation.
I said at the time (both years of negotiations) that we should have transition tagged him.

If you're correct in thinking other teams would have paid him then we could have reaped the benefits of a couple of 1s or whatever we negotiated to get a first round QB.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
fcedc547703fa9a995c5a813dd972ee6.gif

:laugh: