CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

shabazz

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.

Seriously Bob?……99% of Dakota critics are not saying that Cooper Rush is the Qb of the future. All he’s done is supply steady production at the position. What seems to chap people hind ends is that he’s filled in seamlessly for the 160 million dollar man without a huge drop off.

the situation has said more about Rayne Dakota than Cooper Gold Rush.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Grier has a better arm and better wheels, just sayin.
and a lesser brain, why else didn't he beat out Rush in preseason. I made posts that Rush must be better because Grier couldn't start one preseason game ahead of Rush. hum.
Rush's scouting report has him as a very smart quarterback.

Strengths
Started all but three games during career and was team captain his junior and senior seasons
Defined by cerebral approach
Has bachelor of science degree in actuarial science off-the-field and masters in full-field reads on the field
Juggernaut in film room
Hits the field with well-conceived plans of attack based on his studies
Makes all the pre-snap decisions rather than looking to sideline
Quick processor able to scan and decide rapidly
Interceptions rarely the result of poor decisions
Overcomes arm deficiencies with outstanding timing and accuracy
Anticipatory thrower with feel for developing windows
Able to lead receivers on crossing routes and long balls and can throw receivers open underneath
Very good natural accuracy
Completion percentage penalized by excessive drop totals
Good pocket poise
Climbs pocket with eyes downfield when heat comes around the corners and can slide left or right before delivering accurate strikes
Has history from under center in play-action, pro-style attack and works all three levels of the field
Dump-downs are only a final option

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously Bob?……99% of Dakota critics are not saying that Cooper Rush is the Qb of the future. All he’s done is supply steady production at the position. What seems to chap people hind ends is that he’s filled in seamlessly for the 160 million dollar man without a huge drop off.

Doesn’t chap me at all. I just want to win.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Is Rush the answer for Dallas QB future? No, but he is right now and that’s what I’m interested in...playing winning football now and seeing how things shake out.

Praxit

Reaction score
..all I know Bullet, that before clock strikes twelve. Rush is going into Sofi and opening can of whooooop arse. ;)..

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s been a huge drop off in production offensively compared to previous seasons .

This really isn’t a comparable sample size . Most likely these next two games will provide a clearer picture.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Doesn’t chap me at all. I just want to win.
Yea, if we’d had a 7th ranked defense we would have won more games in 2015 when Romo was out and in 2020 when Prescott was out.

Rush has been solid and we appear to have a backup we should lock up but it’s much easier when defense is only giving up 17 points a game.

A 25th ranked offense isn’t sustainable for success long term.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think how defense goes so goes Rush. As long as defense is playing as they are Dallas does not have to get into passing wars with anyone. Cowboys get into 3rd and long situation they are not pressing the issue, get some yards and punt the ball and allow defense to get back out there. Rush appears to be smart enough to know defense can bail them out as long as he is not committing big turnovers that would put the defense is bad situations. Keep the scoring down and keep yourself in the game.
I think we've known for a LONG time that's how it works for almost every QB.

Tony Romo went toe to toe with Peyton Manning (admittedly and ELDERLY one ;) )......but the defense just wouldn't help one bit.

"Defense wins championships"

Saying "Well cooper needs a defense"...well yes duh!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is going to be tough, put yourself in the shoes of the opposing DC mind. How do you defend Dallas? For me I go in looking to shut down the running game, put Rush in longer yardage situation where he has to throw the ball. Cowboys run game in my view is being effected by our lack of ability in the passing game. Teams can play the run more aggressive. Having said that I don't think the over all lack of passing is all on Rush, Cowboys have been somewhat limited at WR. Fortunately we do have a very tough defense that give OC a tough time and has allowed us to say in striking distance
The cowboys run game is being effected by an OC that is reluctant to have the personnel and more importantly...the design of a REAL NFL NFC East rushing attack.

With a couple changes on the line it's been better. We still could use more surprise and creativity. Thunder...and Lightening. Use 'em!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we've known for a LONG time that's how it works for almost every QB.

Tony Romo went toe to toe with Peyton Manning (admittedly and ELDERLY one ;) )......but the defense just wouldn't help one bit.

"Defense wins championships"

Saying "Well cooper needs a defense"...well yes duh!
Yep
It takes balance.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future.

Reminds me of how the Washington fans were reacting to Hieneke. He was supposed to be the hidden gem savior...until he proved he wasn't. Same thing will happen with Rush.

BTW, I am ecstatic that Rush has proven to be a capable backup...that was all we were really hoping for with him anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The cowboys run game is being effected by an OC that is reluctant to have the personnel and more importantly...the design of a REAL NFL NFC East rushing attack.

With a couple changes on the line it's been better. We still could use more surprise and creativity. Thunder...and Lightening. Use 'em!

True but vs better run defense like Washington we saw them handle the run game pretty well. Not all teams are created equal, Rams run defense has not been as stout as other years. Hopefully we can find room to run

Aftershock

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.

He has shown to be a highly competent QB thus far. And after the week 1 dud by Dak, I understand why fans are so eager to see Rush. However. Rush has improved a lot since college, you can’t really use that as basis for your argument.

Winston was an excellent QB in college and rarely threw picks.in 2013 he had a 4:1 td:int ratio. Then I think he broke the record for most INTs in an nfl season at 30…

I would even argue that DCs have Dak figured out since the Broncos game as well..