CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

75boyz

Reaction score
All of the OP is most likely true but there's also the possibility that if given the chance, Rush could very well manage this team to post season success by leaning on a defense and hope to be improved/consistent ground game.

I mean, it's what Jimmy G does and nobody confuses him with being elite but his team seems to be right there in the mix the last few years.

My only hangup is offensive coaching confidence. Specifically, McCarthy. We're well past the conceding full autonomous, hands off responsibility to Wunderkid. If the offense struggles, McCarthy needs to elbow the kid outta the way.
The only problem is I still have my doubts on McCarthy being able to implement effective complementary run schemes as well.

So, here's to hoping on Rush continuing what he's good at and for the run defense and run offense to improve more. That by itself should win more than lose regular season games.

As for post season success, we need nothing less than a Nick Foles type of run.

At least with Rush there's still an added what if element as to possible outcomes of postseason games. As for the alternative, I could easily write the script of what the exact outcome will be.

Here's to Cinderella and that clock not striking midnight on him 'til after Feb '23.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I find it funny that others want to temper fans' enthusiasm about Cooper Rush.

No, he's not lighting it up out there. But the Cowboys have switched to a conservative gameplan. So they assume Cooper Rush is more limited than I suspect he actually is behind a decent line that's finally coming together.

We'll see against the Rams and Eagles, won't we.

I think the lesson we should take from Cooper's time is the supporting cast of players and coaches isn't as bad as many fans believed.

Excellent point.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.

Very well said...

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Meh to me he looks poised and prepared and ready to execute a game plan. That is all I can ask for from a guy making 1 million bucks. I did not expect much from him and have been enjoying watching him play. Much more enjoyable than watching out 40 million dollar princess look like a unprepared slob in the season opener. Much more enjoyable that watching our mega contract RB look like an uninterested blob.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think we've known for a LONG time that's how it works for almost every QB.

Tony Romo went toe to toe with Peyton Manning (admittedly and ELDERLY one ;) )......but the defense just wouldn't help one bit.

"Defense wins championships"

Saying "Well cooper needs a defense"...well yes duh!

Dallas is not scoring many points meanwhile Defense is holding teams to under 20 points a game 15.5 point to be exact. So Dallas defense has not just been good they have been excellent up to this point. We will have some tough games ahead and likely need more than 17 points that we avg right now. My comment was not Rush alone but offense in general, we have had issue at WR and that is improving. I don't have anything aginst Rush but you bet I take Dak any time any day over rush. If dak was putting up the same numbers as rush people would be questioning what was wrong with Dak, because rush has exceed expectation no one is asking that question about rush

GMO415

Reaction score
The dudes not a franchise QB. Anyone who says he is needs their head examined.

Reactions: G2

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is not scoring many points meanwhile Defense is holding teams to under 20 points a game 15.5 point to be exact. So Dallas defense has not just been good they have been excellent up to this point. We will have some tough games ahead and likely need more than 17 points that we avg right now. My comment was not Rush alone but offense in general, we have had issue at WR and that is improving. I don't have anything aginst Rush but you bet I take Dak any time any day over rush. If dak was putting up the same numbers as rush people would be questioning what was wrong with Dak, because rush has exceed expectation no one is asking that question about rush
But of course we should question dak if it were these stats.....high paid vet.

Hard to argue with the wins....which no matter what any says he has helped get. The calm, non-turnover demeanor....helps the defense.

starman22

Reaction score

Why does this bother people so much? If people start hating on Rush because he is not putting up gaudy numbers, will people quit whining about Dak not getting respect?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whatever occurs in the game(s) ahead, Let's just enjoy the action to the max.:grin:
It's called being "entertained." Win or lose . . . it's always a win. :flagwave: :dance:

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why does this bother people so much? If people start hating on Rush because he is not putting up gaudy numbers, will people quit whining about Dak not getting respect?

I don't know why people hate on either one, . I like Dak and I like Rush and the job he is doing. Bottom line I like the Cowboys and will be long after they are gone.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I don't know why people hate on either one, . I like Dak and I like Rush and the job he is doing. Bottom line I like the Cowboys and will be long after they are gone.

What? You going to live longer than the Cowboys exist? So, how long do you think it will be until there are no more Cowboy teams in the NFL?

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I couldn't care less who we win with as QB as long as we win.

My confidence is Rush isn't high that he can "grow" into a high level QB with 10/20/50 games of experience behind him simply due to the tools he has. His arm is very weak and stops my heart every time he tries a long one as it hangs forever. I can't help but go " 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi".

I'm not exactly sold on Dak being the man either and I've gone from being a big supporter to questioning if he has "it". The San Fran game last season really pushed that in my mind.

But......if we do have a shot to win it all in the next year or 2, it's got better odds doing it with Dak.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.
Don’t pop our bubble. Actually doing better than I thought. We need to steal 1 game at a time. Our Defense is doing a good job of giving us extra drives. We just need to put up points early and often.