At the moment Dallas would pick 4th

reddyuta

Reaction score
Can't see the Cowboys pulling the trigger on a QB in the top 5 with all the needs the team has and Romo isn't going to be coming off an injury that he can't recover from. This team needs their top pick on the field not carrying a clipboard the next 2 plus seasons. We seriously need to look at taking a QB in the second round but our first pick has to be an immediate starter.

How many times has Romo broken the same bone?. This is the right time to draft a qb, we won't get another chance like this.

cej757

Reaction score
I would take CB Jalen Ramsey. He is another versatile guy like Byron Jones, who can play both CB and S. He has good size speed, plays the ball better then anyone else in college football imo.

I get the pick but I really don't want to use another 1st rd pick at cb. Marinelli will just have him playing a soft zone coverage anyway.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Lynch just threw for 7 TDs in the first half of his game against SMU..... I'm pretty sure he is the real thing!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How many times has Romo broken the same bone?. This is the right time to draft a qb, we won't get another chance like this.

He's broken it 3 times but it's not a career threatening injury. It's a concern because he may keep breaking it every time he's slammed on it and I agree it's the right time to draft a QB but it may not be the right time to select one in the top 5 unless there's a Troy Aikman sitting there. From what I'm hearing there's not that great can't miss QB prospect that everyone is drooling over available in the upcoming draft. That could change with the combine and pre draft workouts but as of right now there's no Andrew Luck in this draft. If you listen to FANS on this board they'll throw out a bunch of QBs who are going to be great NFL QBs.

Some think they have it all figured out. Drafting a QB is a real crapshoot the list of first round busts is alarming and if you're going to draft a QB in the top 5 or top 10 they need to play not carry a clipboard for how ever long your current QB is going to play. When you're a bad team you need your top pick on the field. I'm sure the Cowboys will seriously consider drafting a QB fairly high they might decide to trade down into the first round and take one but I can't see Jerry pulling the trigger on a QB with a top 5 pick when Romo isn't done yet.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I get the pick but I really don't want to use another 1st rd pick at cb. Marinelli will just have him playing a soft zone coverage anyway.

Maybe, but you could also play Ramsey and Jones at safety, suddenly you got 2 ball hawks back there that can also play man. One could slide up to cover a slot WR. It would give the defense a ton of versatility.

I think in today's NFL safeties are becoming more of a hybrid CB with all the 3 and 4 set formations.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
If we draft a QB in the first round I'll have lost faith in the FO. There isn't one QB coming out this year worthy of a first round pick. Now 2nd or 3rd round, sure. But we need to go get a stud MLB, or CB, or RT with the first pick. Those are our weaknesses right now.

RS12

Reaction score
At the moment Dallas would pick 4th

Means they would end up with one of these four: Lynch, Goff, Bosa or Ramsey. Any one of those would make me very happy.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Gabbert, Ponder, RG3, Geno, Manuel, Clausen, Locker, Manziel, Bradford, Barkley, Sanchez....

And Bortles, Tannehill, Mariotta, and Bridgewater look very limited.

Carr and Luck even look up and down. Winston looks the most promising.

QBs in college are ill prepared for the NFL. I wouldn't waste first round picks on them.

I agree with your point, but you can't be afraid to take one or we'll be stuck in limbo, which is to say too good to pick high, too poor to make a deep post season run. Look at the last 15 QBs to win a superbowl, Brady, Russell Wilson, Flacco, Eli, Brees, Rogers, Rothlisberger, PManning, BJohnson, TDilfer, Warner, Elway, Favre, Aikman and Young.

Out of that group, Mettenberg has a chance to be as good or as better than who exactly? Johnson and Dilfer? Ok, and when we assemble a historically great defense, then we can go with him at QB.

Taking a franchise QB is scary because the bust potential is high, however, we can't just not take one and hope it works out because that strategy really doesn't work.

RS12

Reaction score
People need to stop with the whole I dont want to draft a QB early thing. You have to take a franchise QB when they are available, not when need arises. There arent 32 on the planet now but Paxton Lynch looks like he has the makings of one. Also durability isnt Romo's middle name anymore. This team has many needs and a future QB is definitely a big one.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Most fans would agree that finding a QB in the draft is a crap shoot to which I say, so what.

It is what it is. As I always like to say about finding a QB, you can't win the lottery without buying a ticket.

You have to roll the dice to find a QB, and hoping that you'll find another QB by back channels (read: ex-baseball players, UDFA) again is dumber, to me, than actually drafting one. You know the odds of finding ONE franchise QB through UDFA? So, what on earth are the odds that we'll find TWO in our franchises history?

And, not drafting one because we might screw it up? Again, it is what it is.

I pray that we'll get it right the first time, but history tells us we probably won't, so does that mean we pack up and go home?

Heck no, you keep goin until you find one, for as long as it takes.

That said, high draft pick QBs, when they hit, usually hit big, so given our likely high draft position, I say it's a no brainer to take the QB.

RS12

Reaction score
My first post, so I may get ridiculed to no end but, I think the best course of action is to go best available need in the first round (bosa or Hargreaves?) followed by QB in the second round. Perhaps hackenburg? He's a sleeper in this draft Imo. He's played fairly well considering he's played from his back for three years at psu. I am concerned that his body won't hold up, sometimes he looks like a 35 year old in 20 year olds body.

You are a 30%er according to Reality. Congrats.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DAL has to take a QB in the Top 5 if Lynch or Goff are there.

Unless someone overwhelms them with multiple number #1s.

But this our best chance at replacing Romo even if they sit and learn for 2 years.

You point out that few really want to hear.

What do you think the Cowboys will want to do if the phone rings when we are on the clock?

If we traded down instead of getting a QB this place might explode.