At what point does QB confidence become the real problem?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Dak is still lacking in the mental game when it comes to understanding high level QB play. He looks a step or two slow in processing the game at the line of scrimmage - I believe since the Denver game, defenses are not giving him the predictable looks that he was seeing early in the season. In 2015, Peyton Manning was pretty much physically done and had a noodle arm. At that point he was a bus driver for them but because of his overall experience, he was able to make the right reads/audibles/adjustments just enough for the offense to not screw up games for their great defense.

Dak has had some bad turnovers the last 2 games...I do not trust him at all right now, even to be a bus driver.

Creeper

Reaction score
It is not physical with Dak. Physical issues do not make you throw pick 6s with 4 minutes left in the game up by 2 scores. That is beyond dumb. It is rookie level stuff we should not be seeing from a 6 yr vet getting paid $40 million.

It is in his head and he is not seeing the field clearly and he is not thinking smart. I agree, I do not see this getting fixed in a week of practices. Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist and get himself hypnotized or something. But with each dumb play he makes or poor throw, he confidence takes another beating. I would love to think Dak his rock bottom yesterday but I think we could see an even worse performance against the Giants. The Cowboys are not going to bench Dak so they have to ride him the rest of the way even if it means losing out and losing the division championship to the Eagles or WFT.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The blank look on Dak's face when things go bad seems to be a common occurrence. Personally, I'm starting to wonder if he's loaded or maybe slamming down a few before each game. I know I'm going to catch a lot of crap for this post, but something is seriously wrong with his head. He's not pre-reading defensive schemes that's leading to a lot of bad passes being thrown and when a receiver is open he's been way off the mark. A lot of posters have blamed the O-Line for Dak's recent play, but the "O" side of the ball has been pretty much health and he's still not getting it done. It's time for MM to bench this cat for a couple of games to see if that helps, if not then the 85 BEARS that showed up yesterday will be asked to carry the load and I'm not sure they can get it done against the better teams in the league...............

Well the O line gave him all the time in the world throughout this game and he managed one TD against a broken Defense. This dude needs to get back into that 6-1 rhythm and fast.

Can't wait for the Arizona game, then we'll see. All other games are just the sideshow.

lqmac1

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a confidence thing with him, I think he’s over analyzing things and not trusting his instincts.

Perhaps some of the hype of him understanding defenses and ability to adjust at the line has gotten to him where he doesn’t want to be outsmarted. (Comparisons to Manning, Brady etc.. from earlier in the year)

This can be fixed w KM starting games off with Dak’s favorite routes/ throws. It’ll help him seeing the ball go through the net, per se.

One good drive will lead to a good quarter, a good quarter would lead to a good game then hopefully he’s back to form.

He just needs to trust his ability and instincts and he’ll have plenty of opportunity these next two weeks.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What I've been seeing from the talking heads today is echoing a lot of what we've been saying and that is that Dak is playing scared.

His confidence for some reason is shot. I mean we saw it happen with Wentz after the Foles things and he never recovered really until he left the team.

Surely Daks ego isn't so fragile that watching Cooper Rush lead us to a win in a hostile environment against a pretty good team made him all of a sudden try to do too much and press things.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Did you catch the look on Prescott's face after that pick 6 got the WFT back into the game? He looked shell shocked.

He has been off ever since he came back from the calf and was at his worst yet yesterday.

Add to this his comment last week about the offense "we're coming" and he puts that performance out there as proof of that? Talk about all sizzle and no steak. I think the owner had something to do with him saying that.

Now, the national media is on him as the problem on the offense but it isn't that simple, it is multiple problems including the OC, OL and mistakes by the players.

However, that does not stop the possible erosion of self-confidence that could already be happening to him. It is not just arm talent that separates the winners from the also rans, confidence is key.

This isn't about Dak's contract or whether you like him or don't, it is about what should they do to restore that confidence he had because he has had that and has proven that he can play at a high level, a top 5 level. He was even being mentioned a s MVP candidate just weeks ago.

If this team is to make any noise in the playoffs, they cannot have QB play like yesterday and they have to get this fixed before it does become a real confidence issue, if it hasn't already become one. If it has, they have to fix that sooner than later.

And is it just me but in crunch time, do you like Kellen Moore's body language and his sideline demeanor? He has been looking more confused as this progresses and I wonder if the QB is not the only one that needs a run game?

What's your plan for keeping or restoring his confidence level?
CC, I've been saying it all season long...

Fix this Oline and it's poor performances week-in-and-week-out, and we will see this Offense start tearing it up once again.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think he is overthinking things and has lost confidence which is making him hesitant.

They need to go hurry up more to get him out there running around playing the game relying on his instincts.

He has thrown it quite a bit better in the 2-minute offense and when they trailed the Raiders late and were in hurry-up mode. Those throws he made to Gallup down the sideline on their last scoring drive vs the Raiders were fantastic.

Silly

Reaction score
It is not physical with Dak. Physical issues do not make you throw pick 6s with 4 minutes left in the game up by 2 scores.

I don't understand why they were throwing anyway. I wanted Kelen to burn clock!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It's still on here? Hmmmm
Your post was just bad, insinuating that you watched the film and Dak wasn't bad yesterday, blah, blah. blah.....

This thread actually poses real questions and provokes real thought instead of making excuses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since he’s been off since his calf strain I think we can clearly begin the concern there. Most players with a calf strain are out several games. Gallup missed half the season. Martin missed several games last year and was never 100% again .

And when you’re attempting to play with an injury then there is probably some mental issues knowing you have physical limitations.

The fact we’ve had some OL issues and running game is struggling with Zeke nursing an injury adds to the problem.

I’d say the bigger problem is probably our owner who is trusting and allowing these key talents to play. Players never want to sit out but coaches must be looking ahead for the good of the team. Playing injured players , especially key stars is not in the best interest of the team long term.

If these guys aren’t closer to a 100% for the playoffs it won’t matter where or who we are playing.

lqmac1

Reaction score
CC, I've been saying it all season long...

Fix this Oline and it's poor performances week-in-and-week-out, and we will see this Offense start tearing it up once again.
I’m with you, but it can’t be a perfect game by the o line every game in order for him to have a good game. He’s got the ability to bail them out. He’s a great quarterback!

I thought yesterday would be the game where he turns it around due to the success he’s had against them and familiarity, but I remain confident as we play 3 teams he’s consistently beaten and dominated this last month.

I think everything is going to be good going into the Arizona game.

The last piece is him. Once he gets rolling again, we will be peeking at the perfect time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our owner has already overuled McCarthy wanting to rest Zeke. I’m sure if Dak was saying he’s ok Jethro is going to support him.

Remember when Jethro came down from his skybox to tell Garrett to put Romo back in. I’m sure this is still our owners call even with McCarthy cause these players know who gets the last word.

Reaction score
Something is going on in Dak's head. He needs to sort it out, and fast

He isn't seeing the field the way he did earlier in the year. Maybe he has lost confidence in the o-line and it's rattled him

The defense looks like it is on track. Now the offense has to fet its poop together

Proof

Reaction score
Good thread. I rag on you for bad threads, I’ll give you credit when you start good ones. Daks confidence is definitely shot right now. As you pointed out, you could see it on his face. This is a big problem right now. Hopefully Dak and the coaches collectively can figure this out.

how benevolent

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak is still lacking in the mental game when it comes to understanding high level QB play. He looks a step or two slow in processing the game at the line of scrimmage - I believe since the Denver game, defenses are not giving him the predictable looks that he was seeing early in the season. In 2015, Peyton Manning was pretty much physically done and had a noodle arm. At that point he was a bus driver for them but because of his overall experience, he was able to make the right reads/audibles/adjustments just enough for the offense to not screw up games for their great defense.

Dak has had some bad turnovers the last 2 games...I do not trust him at all right now, even to be a bus driver.

If this was just physical, how come he could hit Coops for the TD and within minutes of throwing the interception. He's a QB that lives and dies with his timing routes (eg - the Coops TD), he just doesnt have the confidence when the route hasnt produced the open receiver, he appears to panic possibly knowing he's limited mobility and not trusting his accuracy.

Proof

Reaction score
What I've been seeing from the talking heads today is echoing a lot of what we've been saying and that is that Dak is playing scared.

His confidence for some reason is shot. I mean we saw it happen with Wentz after the Foles things and he never recovered really until he left the team.

Surely Daks ego isn't so fragile that watching Cooper Rush lead us to a win in a hostile environment against a pretty good team made him all of a sudden try to do too much and press things.

of all the plausible scenarios, i definitely feel like Dak feels Cooper Rush breathing down his neck

Nexx

Reaction score
It has to be injury. He has NEVER been this bad over a prolonged stretch. Last 6 games:

63% completion, 8 tds, 6 ints. 82.8 qb rating.

I've looked at this 2017-2019 seasons and hes had similar stretches.