Austin Hooper: I'm not like Jason Witten, where's it me vs other TEs

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hmmm.......interesting

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-like-jason-witten-where-its-me-vs-other-tes/

Austin Hooper: I’m not like Jason Witten, where it’s me vs. other TEs
Posted by Charean Williams on August 5, 2020, 7:11 PM EDT

Hooper, 25, played four seasons in Atlanta, making him the veteran of the group. He vows to mentor the other tight ends, calling out Raiders tight end Jason Witten in the process.

It is unclear whether Hooper knows Witten or why he said what he said about the former Cowboys tight end. It may go back a few years to perception created by Martellus Bennett, who, after four years playing behind Witten in Dallas, told ESPN, “I hated Jason Witten. I appreciated his game, but I always hated him.”
“My style, I’ve never really been a rah-rah guy at all,’’ Hooper said, via Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com. “I just kind of like to lead by example, and if people have questions, I will answer them. I am an open book. I don’t try to hoard information. I don’t like doing the whole Jason Witten deal where it is me versus everyone else in the tight end room. I think it is more like we are all in this together. David, Harrison, Stephen [Carlson], Pharaoh [Brown], Nate [Wieting], we are all in this together.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Hmmm.......interesting

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-like-jason-witten-where-its-me-vs-other-tes/

Austin Hooper: I’m not like Jason Witten, where it’s me vs. other TEs
Posted by Charean Williams on August 5, 2020, 7:11 PM EDT

Hooper, 25, played four seasons in Atlanta, making him the veteran of the group. He vows to mentor the other tight ends, calling out Raiders tight end Jason Witten in the process.

It is unclear whether Hooper knows Witten or why he said what he said about the former Cowboys tight end. It may go back a few years to perception created by Martellus Bennett, who, after four years playing behind Witten in Dallas, told ESPN, “I hated Jason Witten. I appreciated his game, but I always hated him.”
“My style, I’ve never really been a rah-rah guy at all,’’ Hooper said, via Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com. “I just kind of like to lead by example, and if people have questions, I will answer them. I am an open book. I don’t try to hoard information. I don’t like doing the whole Jason Witten deal where it is me versus everyone else in the tight end room. I think it is more like we are all in this together. David, Harrison, Stephen [Carlson], Pharaoh [Brown], Nate [Wieting], we are all in this together.

Jason Witten will be in the HOF. Everybody knows who Witten is.
Austin Hooper will be often confused with other Austins and other Hoopers (if there are any out there). On the plus side, it's nice to see Hooper is a Cowboys fan because nobody else would have that opinion.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jason Witten will be in the HOF. Everybody knows who Witten is.
Austin Hooper will be often confused with other Austins and other Hoopers (if there are any out there). On the plus side, it's nice to see Hooper is a Cowboys fan because nobody else would have that opinion.
Already the 2nd post about how Witt is a HOF'er, but not addressing that he apparently never helped the guys behind him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While true, it seems like common knowledge that Witt was not the kind of kid that shared the ball, so to speak.

That's BS. You just have a loud mouth loser like Bennet running his mouth because Witten was model citizen TE HOFer. And he was the opposite. Entitled, jealous, punk that simply couldn't live up.

And how does a TE share the ball?

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
You go out to compete. If you want to learn then watch the best and replicate the way they practice and how they lead their lives. Don't go and act like a cry-baby. In virtually every stop Maty B had, he was labelled as immature and difficult to coach. Man, all those physical tools and he wasted his years in Dallas.

This sport is a young man's game now. Not many older vets hang around in this league so I can see why Witt became a lesser key figure, if it is true. You're still looking at a consummate pro who went out and gave his body day-in, day-out for his team along with his own goals. Nobody was bellyaching when he had his jaw wired shut and still played nor when he missed virtually zero time after his ruptured spleen.

He's still one of my favorite players in recent years and a legitimate star in a decade of mediocrity.