*** SPOILERS *** Avengers Endgame Discussions

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't mind the concept of all female teams, but these women weren't a team, at least not at this point. It was just an unnecessary and incongruous moment, as they were all fighting, and until that point they hadn't even differentiated between men and women, as fighting is concerned. So it just came off as a "This is a job for the women!" moment. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but it was the one time in the whole movie where I was disappointed in the writing, and audibly said, "Really?".
When Stan Lee created The Avengers, the original members were:

• Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Ant-Man
  • Wasp
Skip ahead five decades and Lee's imagination brought to life on screen featured:

• Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Captain America
  • Black Widow
  • Hawkeye
Nothing was said about the movie composition of characters. Nor should anything have been said. The preceding films had established who these characters were to movie audiences. The characters met, jelled, fought together and beat Loki's invasion.

Several new characters were introduced during the next few intervening years before and/or played larger roles during Avengers: Age of Ultron:

• The Vision
  • Scarlet Witch
  • War Machine
  • The Falcon
And even though they were not the original 'movie' Avengers, audiences got to see Steve and Natasha introduce the four together at the very end of A:AOU--if only for a few seconds. The entire scene was not necessary but the newer characters were highlighted not only because of their roles to date but they was also representative of the many hero meshing of Avengers groups throughout a half century of Marvel comics.

It was a moment. The all female Avengers in Endgame was a moment. Two visualizations of Marvel creativity. One moment was generally taken as is by audiences. The other moment, even though all characters involved had already been introduced beforehand, gets criticized.

I appreciated both moments. Thank you Marvel. You too, Stan The Man.

I still wanna know why Scott's daughter seemed older than she should have been. Maybe I'm confused at how much time had passed since we last saw her. I thought it was 5 years, and she didn't seem to be more than 8 or 9 then.
Good point. However it would be logical pointing out that some 13-to-15 year olds do experience significant growth spurts and look more mature than kids their own age. Heck. I saw a barely 17-year old boy playing baseball for a local team a few days ago wearing a LOT more facial hair than Fat Thor. AND packing about 240 pounds of LEAN muscle. AND was barely six feet tall, IF that.

I blame it all on giant's milk. :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

• Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Ant-Man
  • Wasp
Skip ahead five decades and Lee's imagination brought to life on screen featured:

• Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Captain America
  • Black Widow
  • Hawkeye
Nothing was said about the movie composition of characters. Nor should anything have been said. The preceding films had established who these characters were to movie audiences. The characters met, jelled, fought together and beat Loki's invasion.

Several new characters were introduced during the next few intervening years before and/or played larger roles during Avengers: Age of Ultron:

• The Vision
  • Scarlet Witch
  • War Machine
  • The Falcon
And even though they were not the original 'movie' Avengers, audiences got to see Steve and Natasha introduce the four together at the very end of A:AOU--if only for a few seconds. The entire scene was not necessary but the newer characters were highlighted not only because of their roles to date but they was also representative of the many hero meshing of Avengers groups throughout a half century of Marvel comics.

It was a moment. The all female Avengers in Endgame was a moment. Two visualizations of Marvel creativity. One moment was generally taken as is by audiences. The other moment, even though all characters involved had already been introduced beforehand, gets criticized.

Good point. However it would be logical pointing out that some 13-to-15 year olds do experience significant growth spurts and look more mature than kids their own age. Heck. I saw a barely 17-year old boy playing baseball for a local team a few days ago wearing a LOT more facial hair than Fat Thor. AND packing about 240 pounds of LEAN muscle. AND was barely six feet tall, IF that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the "girl power" moment. To me and others I know, it was just out of place in the movie. Still a great, great movie in my opinion.

Okay, so why is this post "awaiting moderator approval"?

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I don't mind the concept of all female teams, but these women weren't a team, at least not at this point. It was just an unnecessary and incongruous moment, as they were all fighting, and until that point they hadn't even differentiated between men and women, as fighting is concerned. So it just came off as a "This is a job for the women!" moment. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but it was the one time in the whole movie where I was disappointed in the writing, and audibly said, "Really?".

I still wanna know why Scott's daughter seemed older than she should have been. Maybe I'm confused at how much time had passed since we last saw her. I thought it was 5 years, and she didn't seem to be more than 8 or 9 then.

Felt like it was a natural continuation from what happened in the last movie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just felt forced, to me.

It felt forced to me as well. A clear agenda. I'm all for actual diversity, equality, and inclusion, but when it's forced and there's an agenda involved, I'm out.

But my son made a good point after the film which helped me get a better handle on it. He said it likely "helped" a lot of females feel good - and that's a good thing. And it didn't "hurt" me so much that it could possibly cancel out the positives it did. So ultimately, the positives outweighed the negatives.

That's the position I ultimately took on it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll have to agree to disagree on the "girl power" moment. To me and others I know, it was just out of place in the movie. Still a great, great movie in my opinion.
We absolutely totally disagree but we all see and enjoy (or not enjoy) movies in our own way and that is cool too.
Okay, so why is this post "awaiting moderator approval"?
Not sure. The site filter may have been trigger by a key phrase. Shoot me a private message with the text of your post if your post was slightly different from this one. I have no clue why it happened if that is not the case though.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

• Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Ant-Man
  • Wasp

• Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Captain America
  • Black Widow
  • Hawkeye

• The Vision
  • Scarlet Witch
  • War Machine
  • The Falcon

Are you comparing the scene in the first Avengers movie to the Girl Power moment? Honestly? I hope to God that's not what you're trying to do. Those are not anywhere close to being in the same universe (or timeline?).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How was Thanos able to intercept and hold stormbreaker? @DallasEast ... anyone?
@Runwildboys is correct. Odin magically inscribed Mjolnir with "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Steve was obviously worthy. And Mjolnir probably accepted him as worthy back during that famous hammer lifting living room scene in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Personally, I think Steve was <expletive> with Thor at the time. Seriously, Hulk could not bulge Mjolnir a millimeter in The Avengers--which emphasizes the hammer shall either be lifted or not lifted at all by those who are or are not worthy.

Yet Steve moved Mjolnir an inch. That scene had always bugged me until Endgame. My reaction was exactly like Thor's word for word in the theater when I said 'I KNEW IT!' under my breath. :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you comparing the scene in the first Avengers movie to the Girl Power moment? Honestly? I hope to God that's not what you're trying to do. Those are not anywhere close to being in the same universe (or timeline?).
No. I reference the sequel when I stated "Several new characters were introduced during the next few intervening years before and/or played larger roles during Avengers: Age of Ultron:"

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No. I reference the sequel when I stated "Several new characters were introduced during the next few intervening years before and/or played larger roles during Avengers: Age of Ultron:"

Okay, I see what moment you meant now. And my comment still remains the same. Not anywhere near the same universe. Not at all comparable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, what was the first "moment" you were referring to?

"And even though they were not the original 'movie' Avengers, audiences got to see Steve and Natasha introduce the four together at the very end of A:AOU--if only for a few seconds."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothings is as clean as they say when stones get returns. Ultimately.
I would not have minded extending the movie a few more extra minutes observing Steve returning the stones.
Also, when Cap returns soul stone does he see red Skull?
Red Skull seems to pop up unexpectedly whenever he receives guests, so I would say Steve sees him. That would have been a VERY interesting conversation worthy of the movie in my opinion.
Future Gamora is dead. Stayed dead. Quill has to go on 50 first dateswith this Gamora lol
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3: The Re-Kindling of Romance. That title would make Rocket barf. :laugh:

How did Nat get soul stone? Rules change in EG?
How did the rules change? The Soul Stone appears only after one person's loved one is sacrificed. Natasha and Clint did not love each other romantically but they did love each other.

Natasha loved Clint so much she wanted him to regain his soul. The only way was for Clint's family to return to him. The choice of sacrificing herself was hard but easy at the same time. Extremely sad but... instant Soul Stone.

Is the question about the rules have anything to do with the timing of Natasha and Gamora (the original) deaths that resulted in the Soul Stone re-appearing?

nobody

Reaction score
It just felt forced, to me.

The reason it felt forced was because it made no sense in the context of the battle. I mean, everyone was fighting and suddenly in Captain Marvel's moment of need, only females were available and not fighting for their lives like everyone else? Were they all sitting around waiting for that moment? It was totally forced and again made no sense in the context of that situation all for the sake of the "woman power!" moment.

I have no problem with the idea of an all-woman team. That they would bring those characters together as a group is kinda cool, but not at the expense of making sense.

@stasheroo 's son makes a good point though. I think they could have done it better just by interspersing the female action equally out among the male action showing that men an women are equal much better than a single "woman power! " moment.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We absolutely totally disagree but we all see and enjoy (or not enjoy) movies in our own way and that is cool too.
Not sure. The site filter may have been trigger by a key phrase. Shoot me a private message with the text of your post if your post was slightly different from this one. I have no clue why it happened if that is not the case though.
Nope, doesn't look like anything was changed