Avengers - Infinity Wars

kskboys

Reaction score
maybe. but regardless of the reason anymore, it's just a copout to me. seen too many die to only come back with some jacked up reason why they were able to beat death or that it never happened...write a good story and stop relying on an emotional death scene to be your calling card.
I agree, and I consider it very weak writing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Understood.

But that's what most of the public wants... They want the baby-faces to appear to be totally beaten without an ounce of fight left.

The character's deaths in this movie provide the heat. I'm not sure how you would rewrite the thing to provide as much impact as several of the characters simply turning to dust.

No doubt 99 people out of a 100 realize the heel will get his in the next film and the characters will make a triumphant return, but for many of those people they bought into the belief of the film and those characters are presently dead.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A number of these films (Warner Bros/DC included) and their screenplays are loosely based on actual comic book/graphic novel issues and their stories. In the case of AIW, I guess it is also true it would be more accurate saying 'it was weak writing' a quarter century ago. Knowing the story, I am pretty certain I am right predicting some of the audience, outside its core demographic, will be equally underwhelmed by AIW: Part 2 as well. These movies are fundamentally formulaic after all.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw the trailer for that too. Looks like it might be good.
Venom is a complicated character. They have the right guy playing him.

I hope production and direction are on par with Tom Hardy's standards. If so, I think audiences will be blown away. Hardy rarely (if ever) disappoints on screen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understood.

But that's what most of the public wants... They want the baby-faces to appear to be totally beaten without an ounce of fight left.

The character's deaths in this movie provide the heat. I'm not sure how you would rewrite the thing to provide as much impact as several of the characters simply turning to dust.

No doubt 99 people out of a 100 realize the heel will get his in the next film and the characters will make a triumphant return, but for many of those people they bought into the belief of the film and those characters are presently dead.

I'll again say that I loved the decision they made with this film.

I've never seen a film end with the heroes being so thoroughly defeated.

I just went to see it again today and I continue to Marvel (pun intended) at what they've accomplished with this brand. I understand it may not be for everyone, but part of me feels bad for those who can't enjoy these films the way that I do thoroughly do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Venom is a complicated character. They have the right guy playing him.

I hope production and direction are on par with Tom Hardy's standards. If so, I think audiences will be blown away. Hardy rarely (if ever) disappoints on screen.

I'm not sure there's enough meat on the bone with the character for a standalone film. But I hope to be proven wrong, and as you've said, Hardy is a quality actor.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll again say that I loved the decision they made with this film.

I've never seen a film end with the heroes being so thoroughly defeated.

I just went to see it again today and I continue to Marvel (pun intended) at what they've accomplished with this brand. I understand it may not be for everyone, but part of me feels bad for those who can't enjoy these films the way that I do thoroughly do.

I agree with your take.

It reminded me of a great pro wrestling story, where the baby faces are getting their clocks cleaned match after match with no hope of winning...

The crowd is angry, upset and it seems the heroes will never win.

But we know tomorrow is another day! :)

And the baby faces have an "ace" in their back pocket that they haven't played yet...

I'm not a huge fan of the genre but even I thought it was great entertainment.

If you can't suspend belief for 2 1/2 hours why bother going to the movies period?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with your take.

It reminded me of a great pro wrestling story, where the baby faces are getting their clocks cleaned match after match with no hope of winning...

The crowd is angry, upset and it seems the heroes will never win.

But we know tomorrow is another day! :)

And the baby faces have an "ace" in their back pocket that they haven't played yet...

I'm not a huge fan of the genre but even I thought it was great entertainment.

If you can't suspend belief for 2 1/2 hours why bother going to the movies period?

Exactly. Since I was a child, that's what movies have always been about for me - magic. Taking me somewhere and making me believe something that's otherwise impossible. And Avengers Infinty War is spectacle on the grandest stage ever. Films like this are why I go to the movies.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not sure there's enough meat on the bone with the character for a standalone film. But I hope to be proven wrong, and as you've said, Hardy is a quality actor.
From just the trailer I saw, there's enough conflict between the alien symbiote and the host to create a story in and of itself, but there appears to be more to the story than just that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From just the trailer I saw, there's enough conflict between the alien symbiote and the host to create a story in and of itself, but there appears to be more to the story than just that.

I hope so, from what I've read, Carnage is supposed to be in it as well, so Venom will have someone to battle. I've just always felt that Venom was yet another Spider-Man supporting character rather than one that can carry his own film. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

;)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hope so, from what I've read, Carnage is supposed to be in it as well, so Venom will have someone to battle. I've just always felt that Venom was yet another Spider-Man supporting character rather than one that can carry his own film. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

;)
That's what I thought too, but my nephew told me there's more to Venom than just Spidey.

(I like comics, but I'm not so into them that I'm even close to being an expert.....or nerd.)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what I thought too, but my nephew told me there's more to Venom than just Spidey.

(I like comics, but I'm not so into them that I'm even close to being an expert.....or nerd.)

I am. I have been since I was a kid.

I have thousands of them bagged and boxed up in my house. Going as far back as owning a copy of Avengers #2 from 1963.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I have questions for anyone who's seen Infinty War so far:

Where do you think they go from here?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So I have questions for anyone who's seen Infinty War so far:

Where do you think they go from here?
My first thought was
Thanos misses Gamora so much that he goes back in time to undo everything and bring her back....Other than that, I don't know. Captain Marvel must be joining now for a reason, but I don't think she's powerful enough (even with the help of whomever remains) to defeat him and control the stones.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My first thought was
Thanos misses Gamora so much that he goes back in time to undo everything and bring her back....Other than that, I don't know. Captain Marvel must be joining now for a reason, but I don't think she's powerful enough (even with the help of whomever remains) to defeat him and control the stones.

Yeah it's a given CM is involved...

Not totally up on the mythos of all the characters but isn't Captain Marvel the most powerful of them all in the Marvel universe? Sorta of Marvel's answer to Superman?

Whatever happens I hope Thanos isn't killed. Great villain. Let him get locked up or banished somewhere until he is freed by some other evil entity, and we can do this all over again! LOL!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah it's a given CM is involved...

Not totally up on the mythos of all the characters but isn't Captain Marvel the most powerful of them all in the Marvel universe? Sorta of Marvel's answer to Superman?

Whatever happens I hope Thanos isn't killed. Great villain. Let him get locked up or banished somewhere until he is freed by some other evil entity, and we can do this all over again! LOL!
I'm not really up on all of it either, but after Googling CM, it seems she's like a female Captain America, but I could have misunderstood.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My first thought was

I think you're off to a great start.

I'm also expecting score sort of a turn or arc for Thanos as well. Ultimately, I think that Gators and everyone turned to dust to be returned, but everyone killed outside of that to remain dead.

I also expect a passing of the torch between the original Avengers and the remaining heroes.

I think they ultimately use the Time Stone to send Cap back to 1945 to have that date with Peggy Carter that he missed in his first film. There to live out his days.

I think Stark "retires" to marry and raise a family with Pepper. But they'll have the option to have him appear down the road should they decide.

I think Thor goes out into space to find whatever is left of the Asgardians. But still available if they want to have him appear in a future film.

I think Hulk goes journeying on his own, much like the old Bill Bixby TV show.