Avengers - Infinity Wars

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't fully understand they type of power she has, either. It was never really fleshed out in the previous movies. Seems like a convenient plot piece that she could destroy an infinity stone and also a bit pointless.
Considering she never got to do it. I suppose it was just a way to build suspense

kskboys

Reaction score
It appears to me as if "The Avengers" is going into dark territory. That's what I call it when they start going into storylines that only comic book fans will comprehend.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It appears to me as if "The Avengers" is going into dark territory. That's what I call it when they start going into storylines that only comic book fans will comprehend.

Did you have a hard time comprehending this one?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly right. She received her powers as a result of the Mind Stone. That's why that same power was capable of destroying the stone.
Slightly off-topic: It took awhile for me to reconcile the changes Disney and Marvel made with Scarlet Witch and (the deceased) Quicksilver. The change from mutants to enhanced humans bothered me at first but I adapted. Perhaps the alterations had something to do with FOX and Disney sharing rights to the characters.

The comic book nerd in me would have liked to have seen how Wanda's mutant hex power could have manipulated the Infinity stone. As powerful as her mutantcy (sp?) is, it is also very unpredictable in its application. I guess that is one of the positives that can be attributed to the change in the character's abilities, namely that her power is more 'manageable'.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Slightly off-topic: It took awhile for me to reconcile the changes Disney and Marvel made with Scarlet Witch and (the deceased) Quicksilver. The change from mutants to enhanced humans bothered me at first but I adapted. Perhaps the alterations had something to do with FOX and Disney sharing rights to the characters.

That's exactly what it was. Marvel can't use "mutants". So they're referred to as "enhanced." That situation is also where the failed attempt to use the Inhumans as their version of X-Men came from.

The comic book nerd in me would have liked to have seen how Wanda's mutant hex power could have manipulated the Infinity stone. As powerful as her mutantcy (sp?) is, it is also very unpredictable in its application. I guess that is one of the positives that can be attributed to the change in the character's abilities, namely that her power is more 'manageable'.

Yeah, I agree with what they did. Things got ridiculous in the comics, especially during Bendis awful era. Wanda's powers got to the point of just silly.

I'm now starting to get excited at the prospect of Marvel introducing a whole new group if characters to the Conematic Universe to fill the inevitable void to be left by Downey, Evans, and possibly Ruffalo and Hemsworth's departures.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am curious also. Disney/Marvel has been pretty linear leading up to and revealing the Infinity story.

Take the presentation of the Stones background into the MCU for the audience's consumption. The Collector gave a concise summary of the Stones in Guardians of the Galaxy. Viewers have witnessed their power in Captain America: The First Avenger (Space Stone), Marvel's The Avengers (Mind Stone), Thor: The Dark World (Reality Stone), Guardians of the Galaxy (Power Stone). and Doctor Strange (Time Stone). The Soul Stone was finally revealed in Avengers: Infinity War.

The main antagonist, Thanos, has been littered among MCU movies leading up to AIW also. MTA. GOTG, which really underscores his importance in the storyline for the first time. Avengers: Age of Ultron, where he and The Infinity Gauntlet are tied together.

I think Samuel L. Jackson/Nick Fury best underlined the basis of the entire storyline early on in MTA with two particular quotes...

There was an idea, Stark knows this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to fight the battles we never could.

In response to the Security Councilperson's concern about the Avengers dangerous potential for the world:

They (the Avengers) surely are. And the whole world knows it. Every world knows it.

In my opinion, Marvel/Disney have done a terrific job conveying its story both simply and thoughtfully. I cannot see how they will lose its audience's comprehension of it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's exactly what it was. Marvel can't use "mutants". So they're referred to as "enhanced." That situation is also where the failed attempt to use the Inhumans as their version of X-Men came from.

Yeah, I agree with what they did. Things got ridiculous in the comics, especially during Bendis awful era. Wanda's powers got to the point of just silly.

I'm now starting to get excited at the prospect of Marvel introducing a whole new group if characters to the Conematic Universe to fill the inevitable void to be left by Downey, Evans, and possibly Ruffalo and Hemsworth's departures.
I think you are being kind describing the Inhuman introduction as a failure. It has been more of a catastrophe. Then again, I think Quake's Inhuman character in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been really well done.

I am excited about the transition to new characters also. I could be wrong but my expectation is Captain Marvel will be centrally showcased within MCU's next phase and beyond. If true, I hope Brie Lawson is up to the task and commitment. Her career could literally explode just like that of Downey, Evans and Hemsworth if things work out like I believe they will.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet another great movie form the Marvel team. They have been building up to this for a decade and so far there has been very little disappointment. DC should take a lot of notes on how to do this.
Folks at DC should began with a 500-page notebook. And know from jump that one notebook will not be enough. (Someone at DC should be SHOT for Justice League).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are being kind describing the Inhuman introduction as a failure. It has been more of a catastrophe. Then again, I think Quake's Inhuman character in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been really well done.

To be honest, I couldn't be bothered to even watch Inhumans, especially knowing it was an Ike Perlmutter production. I knew what Marvel's intentions were in pushing the Inhumans and I've never found them particularly interesting.

I am excited about the transition to new characters also. I could be wrong but my expectation is Captain Marvel will be centrally showcased within MCU's next phase and beyond. If true, I hope Brie Lawson is up to the task and commitment. Her career could literally explode just like that of Downey, Evans and Hemsworth if things work out like I believe they will.

I certainly expect the character of Captain Marvel to get a huge push, but much will depend on box office reception. Lawson definitely has a great opportunity and it's tough to bet against the Marvel formula right now.

But other than her, there are plenty of other characters I'm looking forward to seeing fleshed out in the Cinematic Universe

Lutonio

Reaction score
Looks like the ending weeded out all the newer heroes and left the originals. Bet Hawk Eye made it through, too.

My guess is this sets up Avengers 4 as a focused send off where the originals crew of heroes/actors can either die or retire.

Fingers crossed Captain America lifts That's weapon.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest, I couldn't be bothered to even watch Inhumans, especially knowing it was an Ike Perlmutter production. I knew what Marvel's intentions were in pushing the Inhumans and I've never found them particularly interesting.

I certainly expect the character of Captain Marvel to get a huge push, but much will depend on box office reception. Lawson definitely has a great opportunity and it's tough to bet against the Marvel formula right now.

But other than her, there are plenty of other characters I'm looking forward to seeing fleshed out in the Cinematic Universe
I have been a big fan of the Inhumans, probably because their story intertwined with the Fantastic Four's. That is why I was so apprehensive when the television show was first being advertised. Re-imagining a story has been done before on television and in movies but they did a terrible job of translating Inhumans to tv.

I have a good vibe about CM. Audience reception of Wonder Woman was fantastic, as comic book fans like myself had LONG predicted would happen. Captain Marvel is not as iconic as Wonder Woman (to be fair, Marvel's original male version of CM was not on the forefront also) but I think the market is more than receptive for seeing more female superheroes on the big screen--especially really powerful ones like CM.

On an off-topic yet related subject, I hope Marvel/Disney can absorb the mutant characters properties back where they belong sooner rather than later. There is one mutant character who would be perfect for any CM sequels:

Rogue :starspin:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like the ending weeded out all the newer heroes and left the originals. Bet Hawk Eye made it through, too.

My guess is this sets up Avengers 4 as a focused send off where the originals crew of heroes/actors can either die or retire.

AIW is loosely based on the original Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War comic book storylines so it is a safe bet the latter will have a better chance of happening than the former.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I completely agree with this. I foresee a huge passing of the torch film where almost all of the original Avengers team calls it quits.

I think they use the Time Stone to place Captain America back with Peggy Carter in 1945 to have "that date."

I think Stark settles down with Pepper to have that child. (He may cameo in future films, but his days of playing major Roles are over.

I expect Thor to go off on some sort of quest in space, possibly to find any remaining Asgardians.

Like Stark, I expect Hulk to "step down" and go off on his own. Maybe a "wandering Hulk as was done in the old Bill Bixby TV series.

And Hawkeye is nearly retired already. I think Avengers 4 will be it for his avenging days.

I've heard talk of a possible Black Widow film so Johansson may end up sticking around in some capacity, but likely as a solo act rather than an Avenger.

So for me, it opens up a lot of room to use a bunch of other and new characters.