Babe Laufenberg: Amendola's Made The Team

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2161880 said:
Bingo. I think they do keep six (no way Stanback isn't given another year). Oglesby is the guy who I think will be gone.

Amendola will play well on special teams, which would be the only reason to keep Oblesby over a WR.

That would leave our corners as:

Newman
Pacman
Henry
Jenkin
Scandrick
Ball

Oglesby wouldn't play anyway unless we have a rash of injuries.

He isn't a bad player, I don't think... but when a team has the corners that we do, there are going to be some CB's cut that can play in this league.

I agree. Still shocks me how we went from being desperate at secondary to having a surplus so quickly, Jerry and the gang really attacked our CB problem this off season.

If I had one critique, it'd be just wishing we'd tackle problems like that before they become problems, rather than after. I see our WR situation being approached in a similar way. If it suffers this year, then next year we'll probably end up being wowed by what the gang comes up with, but once again, a little too late. I hope that's not that case though.

Bizwah

Reaction score
TheCount;2161886 said:
I agree. Still shocks me how we went from being desperate at secondary to having a surplus so quickly, Jerry and the gang really attacked our CB problem this off season.

Maybe they'll attack our WR problem like this next year.

PosterChild

Reaction score
5Countem5;2161865 said:
Unless Babe some some pull I am unaware of, I have to agree. Unbelievable.

It's not a bout "pull," it's about judgment.

And to put this into perspective, he was just offering a hot opinion, nothing more. I didn't report that he chiseled this edict out in stone live on camera. It was just a brief comment he made. But the bottom line is I'm inclined to agree with his assessment. We'll see.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
The guy just continues to defy his detractors/doubters. I like that.

The fundamental reason I'm apt to buy into this guy's hype is that EVERYONE that has been able to watch him play thinks he's got 'it'. That's a lot more than us knuckleheads on this forum can say for the most part.

That being said, Hostile is right, he's got a ways to go....but if he keeps it up, I don't see how they can't put him on the roster.

Austin's value is lessened by the day, IMO, and the other young guys aren't making many plays.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2161854 said:
Yeah, thats the way I think it pans out if they keep Amendola. Stanback is a guy they are grooming to be a starter (with speed) so I don't see him being cut. Jerry mentioned on Special Edition that if they kept 11 DBs that would prevent them from keeping 6 WRs so I think that Oglesby would be the odd man out.
Oglesby vs. Amendola ... hmmmm ...

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2161890 said:
great maybe he is the savior:rolleyes:

The irony of this post is that you haven't seen a single person say as much...which, in turn, makes YOU look like an ***.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You know... I can understand why some people are saying we need to wait and see on Amendola... I mean, I agree with that. He hasn't proven that he can play in the NFL.

I think he will be able to make it, but that remains to be seen. So it makes sense to say wait and see on him.

But I don't have any idea why some people seem to genuinely dislike the guy. What is there to have against him? Just because a lot of fans and the media want to see him turn into a good slot receiver?

Even if it has been "Amendola overkill" since we got him, that isn't his fault. The only reason the fans and media are so high on him is because he is such a hard worker, will do anything for a catch and caught so many balls in college. That's not anything to hate the guy over. He's done well and is a hard worker... that's all he's done.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
tomson75;2161901 said:
The irony of this post is that you haven't seen a single person say as much...which, in turn, makes YOU look like an ***.
i don't care how it makes me look;)

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
You agree? You've seen a lot of Danny to make such a judgement, I suppose?

PosterChild;2161889 said:
It's not a bout "pull," it's about judgment.

And to put this into perspective, he was just offering a hot opinion, nothing more. I didn't report that he chiseled this edict out in stone live on camera. It was just a brief comment he made. But the bottom line is I'm inclined to agree with his assessment. We'll see.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161905 said:
You agree? You've seen a lot of Danny to make such a judgement, I suppose?

You've seen enough to disagree?

Let me ask you this....how many negative reports from camp have you read about this kid?

If it's more than one, please provide a link.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2161902 said:
You know... I can understand why some people are saying we need to wait and see on Amendola... I mean, I agree with that. He hasn't proven that he can play in the NFL.

I think he will be able to make it, but that remains to be seen. So it makes sense to say wait and see on him.

But I don't have any idea why some people seem to genuinely dislike the guy. What is there to have against him? Just because a lot of fans and the media want to see him turn into a good slot receiver?

Even if it has been "Amendola overkill" since we got him, that isn't his fault. The only reason the fans and media are so high on him is because he is such a hard worker, will do anything for a catch and caught so many balls in college. That's not anything to hate the guy over. He's done well and is a hard worker... that's all he's done.
People just like to be the overly cautious realist that tells everyone else how it is. Makes them feel better about themselves, I guess.

Bizwah

Reaction score
AsthmaField;2161902 said:

I have nothing against Amendola. I hope he makes the team. But here's my concern/question....

He's fairly ordinary. Small, quick but not fast. He would probably work well in the slot. But will he be one of our top three WRs?

I dont' think he can beat out Hurd for the third spot.

Which leaves us to fourth or fifth. Usually, your fourth or fifth spots at WR are reserved for guys you want to develop, or special teams players.

Can Amendola make it as a gunner? I doubt it.... can he make it as a PR? Probably not, considering we have one of the game's best....will he make it as a KR? possibly....but again, Austin was effective, and Felix Jones was awesome as a KR in college.

So, do you keep Amendola as your fourth or fifth WR to develop him? I don't think so....I think he is what he is....Like it or not, Austin and Stanback have rare athletic skills. They offer more in terms of potential and special teams. In other words, I think they help the team more than a player that will just sit around.

Now, I'll admit I've never watched him play. So, maybe it's not fair for me to say he won't make it as our third guy.

I dont' know....I'm anxious to watch these guys in the preseason games. I want to see them in live action.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
I saw every game (except 2) that he played in college.

He's a great kid and I hope he makes it but I wouldn't put too much stock in the 1 practice that Babe watched.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
theogt;2161910 said:
People just like to be the overly cautious realist that tells everyone else how it is. Makes them feel better about themselves, I guess.

I guess so. Still, I've seen people say some pretty harsh things about the guy when he hasn't done a damn thing wrong.

I'd bet $1000 that if we had used a 4th round pick on him, many people that are saying he won't make it would be expecting him to be on the 53. Pedigree, if you will (with apologies to Hos).

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161915 said:

He's a great kid and I hope he makes it but I wouldn't put too much stock in the 1 practice that Babe watched.

Did you go to all those games, did you watch them on TV, or a combination of both?

PosterChild

Reaction score
5Countem5;2161915 said:

Babe didn't say he based his opinion on one practice. I would speculate that Babe has gathered info and made some analysis of the guy prior to TC just like many of us who are following this team. I suspect he's seen DA play, talked to people, watched tape, and observed mini camps, etc.