Babe Laufenberg: Amendola's Made The Team

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2161919 said:
Did you go to all those games, did you watch them on TV, or a combination of both?

It was both...Mostly in person.

Mostly watched him in comparison to Welker because we all thought he was the second coming too. He wasn't. He's a nice player but he is not the football player Welker is.

That's not to say he can't make it for Dallas, I'm just cautiously optimistic.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2161914 said:
nothing against him or nobody on here i'm just tired of us not worring about a solid no.2 :D

I'm as worried about the #2 spot as much as the next guy, but I'd also like to see an actual 'wide receiver' on the roster too...rather than a 'athlete' or a 'QB conversion'. Something about a small quick guy that catches everything thrown to him...I want him around on 3rd down.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
PosterChild;2161925 said:
Babe didn't say he based his opinion on one practice. I would speculate that Babe has gathered info and made some analysis of the guy prior to TC just like many of us who are following this team. I suspect he's seen DA play, talked to people, watched tape, and observed mini camps, etc.

You really think an undrafted FA has shown enough to make the team already? Two days into camp?

Seriously?

Bizwah

Reaction score
tomson75;2161929 said:
I'm as worried about the #2 spot as much as the next guy, but I'd also like to see an actual 'wide receiver' on the roster too...rather than a 'athlete' or a 'QB conversion'. Something about a small quick guy that catches everything thrown to him...I want him around on 3rd down.

Will he see the field on third down? That's my question

TO
Witten
Crayton
Hurd
Barber/Felix Jones
Five OL
Romo

That's 11 guys.

Do you see Amendola on the field over Hurd or Crayton? I don't

Again, he'd be fine to keep if we keep six WRs. But I don't see us cutting Austin to keep Amendola (Ausin is good on STs). I also would hate to see us give up a guy like Stanback (who we all knew would take time to develop).

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bizwah;2161934 said:

TO
Witten
Crayton
Hurd
Barber/Felix Jones
Five OL
Romo

That's 11 guys.

Again, he'd be fine to keep if we keep six WRs. But I don't see us cutting Austin to keep Amendola (Ausin is good on STs). I also would hate to see us give up a guy like Stanback (who we all knew would take time to develop).
I doubt there are many who thinks he makes it if they only keep five. If he makes it this year is going to be a redshirt year on the inactive list. Even Stanback is likely to be on the inactive list most of the time.

PosterChild

Reaction score
5Countem5;2161930 said:
You really think an undrafted FA has shown enough to make the team already? Two days into camp?

Seriously?

Once more, I think the assessment is made on his total body of work from college to today. Does it seem premature to pencil him in? Sure it is, and it's a prediction about the future-- an opinion. But by all reports, he's already shown more promise(superb route running/great hands because he's a receiver) as an NFL receiver than Stanback. Why is anyone ecstatic bout him? He's a real project, a luxury to have on the club, not DA.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Bizwah;2161934 said:

TO
Witten
Crayton
Hurd
Barber/Felix Jones
Five OL
Romo

That's 11 guys.

Why does everyone automatically think he's going to take the #3 spot right away. Has Stanback? Was he on the roster?

...and yes, I can very easily see another receiver taking Crayton or Hurd's spot on third down...at some point. Whether or not it proves to be Amendola is another thing, but he seems to have a pretty good start going.

Austin's value on special teams is quickly disappearing. IIRC, his contract is up after this season, the addition of Felix Jones, Adam Jones, Stanback, Courtney Brown, Scandrick, and Amendola has made him very expendable. He's at the point in his career where he needs to prove he can make plays on offense, not just special teams.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2161944 said:
I doubt there are many who thinks he makes it if they only keep five. If he makes it this year is going to be a redshirt year on the inactive list. Even Stanback is likely to be on the inactive list most of the time.

Bingo.

Bizwah

Reaction score
tomson75;2161949 said:
Why does everyone automatically think he's going to take the #3 spot right away. Has Stanback? Was he on the roster?

I asked this because you were the one that mentioned that you wanted to see him on third down. If that's the case, then he'd have to beat out one of those guys.

We all know that Stanback will take time. He's a guy that's high risk/high reward. If he pays off, then we may have a Hines Ward type of player. You need guy like him on the roster to develop.

...and yes, I can very easily see another receiver taking Crayton or Hurd's spot on third down...at some point. Whether or not it proves to be Amendola is another thing, but he seems to have a pretty good start going.

You would know more than me. I really haven't seen Amendola play. So, maybe he'll be pretty good. I would like to see him in the preseason.

Austin's value on special teams is quickly disappearing. IIRC, his contract is up after this season, the addition of Felix Jones, Adam Jones, Stanback, Courtney Brown, Scandrick, and Amendola has made him very expendable. He's at the point in his career where he needs to prove he can make plays on offense, not just special teams.

I disagree. Austin is a decent gunner. Big, strong, and fast. And from what I've read, he is making strides on offense. He seems to get open at will. The problem from what I've read is that the QBs can't seem to hit him.

Amendola will have to play STs....there's no doubt....I want to see if he can do it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161930 said:

Seriously?

It was a prediction. He didn't say it was based on what he's done in the first two days. He just thinks from his skills he seen in college and what he's doing so far that he has a good chance.

At least that's how I took it.

Thanks for your answer on how you had watched the TT games, BTW.

Angus

Reaction score
TheCount;2161875 said:
Basically what people have been saying since we signed Amendola. No big surprises there.

Here's to hoping we get something better in that mix though cause I have zilch faith in Crayton as a #1 for any extended period of time.

Crayton, Hurd and Austin as our top three would be a disaster in my mind.

Is that because none of them were high draft picks?

:rolleyes:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161865 said:
Unless Babe some some pull I am unaware of, I have to agree. Unbelievable.

UMM. Stick around, Babe has the most knowledge of this team and this organization. No one else comes close.

If babe likes amendola's chances its because he sees something in the way he works and how he handles himself.

He isnt a guy that makes stuff up.

And umm yes he has some "pull", not in the silly sense that you are talking about though.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161930 said:

Seriously?

In your time watching Amendola at TT, what was it in your opinion that his game was lacking? What is it that Welker had at Tech that Amendola lacked?

Thanks in advance.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Bizwah;2161952 said:
I asked this because you were the one that mentioned that you wanted to see him on third down. If that's the case, then he'd have to beat out one of those guys.

We all know that Stanback will take time. He's a guy that's high risk/high reward. If he pays off, then we may have a Hines Ward type of player. You need guy like him on the roster to develop.

You would know more than me. I really haven't seen Amendola play. So, maybe he'll be pretty good. I would like to see him in the preseason.

I disagree. Austin is a decent gunner. Big, strong, and fast. And from what I've read, he is making strides on offense. He seems to get open at will. The problem from what I've read is that the QBs can't seem to hit him.

Amendola will have to play STs....there's no doubt....I want to see if he can do it.

I'm well aware of the fact that Stanback isn't going anywhere. Personally, I'm not seeing or hearing what I'd like to out of him at this point, but he's obviously going to get ample time to make the transition.

Everyone that has seen Amendola play as of late seems to be impressed. At the very least, it's noteworthy....and it certainly doesn't warrant the ridicule of those whom think he has a shot to make the team. Everyone wants to be cooler than the next guy, and being the cliche' 'let's not put him in Canton' guy is an easy way to show it. (I'm not saying that you are BTW).

Personally, I'd rather not extend an average WR's contract so that I can have him run down the field and make tackles. I'd rather have a defensive player doing that. With the speed we've added to the defense this year, I'm guessing Austin will have plenty of competition for the gunner spot (Jenkins, Scandrick, Davis, etc.

Mansta54

Reaction score
vicjagger;2161856 said:
What a load of crap! Training camp is only 3 days old. No undrafted free agent has "made the team".

You're so wrong!!!!!

Angus

Reaction score
Bizwah;2161913 said:
I have nothing against Amendola. I hope he makes the team. But here's my concern/question....

He's fairly ordinary. Small, quick but not fast. He would probably work well in the slot. But will he be one of our top three WRs?

I dont' think he can beat out Hurd for the third spot.

Which leaves us to fourth or fifth. Usually, your fourth or fifth spots at WR are reserved for guys you want to develop, or special teams players.

Can Amendola make it as a gunner? I doubt it.... can he make it as a PR? Probably not, considering we have one of the game's best....will he make it as a KR? possibly....but again, Austin was effective, and Felix Jones was awesome as a KR in college.

So, do you keep Amendola as your fourth or fifth WR to develop him? I don't think so....I think he is what he is....Like it or not, Austin and Stanback have rare athletic skills. They offer more in terms of potential and special teams. In other words, I think they help the team more than a player that will just sit around.

Now, I'll admit I've never watched him play. So, maybe it's not fair for me to say he won't make it as our third guy.

I dont' know....I'm anxious to watch these guys in the preseason games. I want to see them in live action.

Good! Can we let the coaches decide?

:D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
PosterChild;2161828 said:
Watching local CBS affiliate special live training camp coverage right now, and Babe says he's really excited about Danny Boy-- that he's definitely on the roster.

Also thinks Miles Austin is more talented than Hurd but that Hurd has been more productive...further indicated that he doesn't have sky high expectations from either this year. Hope he's wrong on that score. At some point one of them will move into the number two spot for some length of time when T.O. gets hurt.

TO
Crayton
Hurd
Austin
Stanback
Amendola

i don't think we're set at WR just yet.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2161960 said:
In your time watching Amendola at TT, what was it in your opinion that his game was lacking? What is it that Welker had at Tech that Amendola lacked?

Thanks in advance.

so far the biggest reason i see him compared to welker is that he's white and has good hands.

there's gonna be a few of those every year for awhile. he needs to show more than he has to instantly get that kind of respect. period.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2161960 said:

Thanks in advance.

Amendola is not Welker. The comparisons need to stop. He is not a fast, quick, instinctual, or to put it bluntly - he simply is not the FOOTBALL player Welker is. The only person (from their days at Tech) I can compare Welker to is Zach Thomas. They are both such overacheivers.

Now as far as Danny goes, he is a nice player that I hope makes the team but I have a hard believing he can offer enough as a rookie to make the impact that Babe does.

His motor will get him noticed (as it already has) a lot but I think AJ taking punt duties may seal Danny's fate.