Babe Laufenberg: Amendola's Made The Team

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161973 said:
Amendola is not Welker. The comparisons need to stop. He is not a fast, quick, instinctual, or to put it bluntly - he simply is not the FOOTBALL player Welker is. The only person (from their days at Tech) I can compare Welker to is Zach Thomas. They are both such overacheivers.

Now as far as Danny goes, he is a nice player that I hope makes the team but I have a hard believing he can offer enough as a rookie to make the impact that Babe does.

His motor will get him noticed (as it already has) a lot but I think AJ taking punt duties may seal Danny's fate.

I am curious did you hear what babe said about him for yourself? cause I didnt. i think there is a chance that babe maybe saying he makes the team and goes to the practice squad. maybe that is what he was saying.

you are acting like laufenberg put him in the pro bowl. laufenberg has basically been spot on for the 5 seasons I have lived here. the guy has an uncanny ability to see a little bit down the road for this team and how people fit together.

For some perspective two years ago he thought alot of hurd and crayton before him etc..

I think some are jumping to conclusions from something they did not here for themselves. I know I would like to have heard exactly what laufenberg said. I am going to record his show tonight and put it up. I can almost guarantee he will talk wr's so we will see what he said and thinks of amendola.

and one more thing, Who said he has to be welker? Can he just show some signs that he could be a player who can contribute to this team down the road? I mean whats wrong with that.

Angus

Reaction score
tomson75;2161949 said:
Why does everyone automatically think he's going to take the #3 spot right away. Has Stanback? Was he on the roster?

...and yes, I can very easily see another receiver taking Crayton or Hurd's spot on third down...at some point. Whether or not it proves to be Amendola is another thing, but he seems to have a pretty good start going.

Austin's value on special teams is quickly disappearing. IIRC, his contract is up after this season, the addition of Felix Jones, Adam Jones, Stanback, Courtney Brown, Scandrick, and Amendola has made him very expendable. He's at the point in his career where he needs to prove he can make plays on offense, not just special teams.

I think the time will come when a choice will be made between Austin and Stanback, but not this year. And when it is made it may not be a choice between which stays and which goes, but who is number one and who is number two.

:star:

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2161977 said:
I am curious did you hear what babe said about him for yourself? cause I didnt. i think there is a chance that babe maybe saying he makes the team and goes to the practice squad. maybe that is what he was saying.

you are acting like laufenberg put him in the pro bowl. laufenberg has basically been spot on for the 5 seasons I have lived here. the guy has an uncanny ability to see a little bit down the road for this team and how people fit together.

For some perspective two years ago he thought alot of hurd and crayton before him etc..

I think some are jumping to conclusions from something they did not here for themselves. I know I would like to have heard exactly what laufenberg said. I am going to record his show tonight and put it up. I can almost guarantee he will talk wr's so we will see what he said and thinks of amendola.

and one more thing, Who said he has to be welker? Can he just show some signs that he could be a player who can contribute to this team down the road? I mean whats wrong with that.

Good point. No I didn't hear it. Was just responding to what someone said he said.

Let us know what he says-ok?

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
5Countem5;2161973 said:
Amendola is not Welker. The comparisons need to stop. He is not a fast, quick, instinctual, or to put it bluntly - he simply is not the FOOTBALL player Welker is. The only person (from their days at Tech) I can compare Welker to is Zach Thomas. They are both such overacheivers.

Now as far as Danny goes, he is a nice player that I hope makes the team but I have a hard believing he can offer enough as a rookie to make the impact that Babe does.

His motor will get him noticed (as it already has) a lot but I think AJ taking punt duties may seal Danny's fate.

Whether Amendola makes the team remains to be seen, but as a Tech grad, I will agree with 5. Wes Welker, he is not.

While he may someday become a serviceable pro, to expect "the next Welker" may be overshooting things just a bit.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161982 said:
Good point. No I didn't hear it. Was just responding to what someone said he said.

Let us know what he says-ok?

I will put the video up tonight.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161973 said:

No offense, but your first sentence pretty much shoots your analysis down. Amendola's coaches, draft scouts, team scouts, and others have all repeatedly said that Amendola is actually faster than Welker, and has comparable quickness...although not equal. I'll take their coaches word over yours...no offense.

...and the comparisons don't need t stop just because you say so. They've been made for reasons beyond the well-rehearsed 'he's white and has good hands' bit. The guy friggin studied Welker's every move while he was attempting to recreate what his predecessor did at TT...I think its a safe assumption to think that he may have some similar traits. The two are very much alike...despite the lack of adoration for Amendola from TT alumni. At this point, it seems like the same people guilty of not 'putting him in Canton' are the same ones that feel they're superior by selecting a different white guy that they think he's more similar too....the really creative ones actually select a short black guy. Even though using Welker is far more accurate, and justified.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Cowboyz88;2161983 said:
Whether Amendola makes the team remains to be seen, but as a Tech grad, I will agree with 5. Wes Welker, he is not.

While he may someday become a serviceable pro, to expect "the next Welker" may be overshooting things just a bit.

Again (and it absolutely frustrates me to no end that no one seems to be capable of comprehending this), just because someone compares him to Welker, doesn't mean they think he'll be as good. It simply means they have similar playing styles, or similar skill sets.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Angus;2161980 said:
I think the time will come when a choice will be made between Austin and Stanback, but not this year. And when it is made it may not be a choice between which stays and which goes, but who is number one and who is number two.

:star:

It'd be great if that turned out to be true, but at this point I think you're reaching more than the people that think Amendola will make the roster are.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2161988 said:
No offense, but your first sentence pretty much shoots your analysis down. Amendola's coaches, draft scouts, team scouts, and others have all repeatedly said that Amendola is actually faster than Welker, and has comparable quickness...although not equal. I'll take their coaches word over yours...no offense.

...and the comparisons don't need t stop just because you say so. They've been made for reasons beyond the well-rehearsed 'he's white and has good hands' bit. The guy friggin studied Welker's every move while he was attempting to recreate what his predecessor did at TT...I think its a safe assumption to think that he may have some similar traits. The two are very much alike...despite the lack of adoration for Amendola from TT alumni. At this point, it seems like the same people guilty of not 'putting him in Canton' are the same ones that feel they're superior by selecting a different white guy that they think he's more similar too....the really creative ones actually select a short black guy. Even though using Welker is far more accurate, and justified.

Tech fans thought the same as you. Welker brings intangibles to the table that you cannot measure.

You keep making this a "for him" or "against him" argument and that's not it. Hell, I hope he starts Week 1, but he won't. That's not being against him, it's being real.

Man, I bet he is sick of this Welker crap. I know I am.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
theebs;2161836 said:
i cant believe i missed this show..

Doh!!

Banned.........

10 minutes..........

No Posts for YOU!

Have a wonderful tomorrow,
TZn........................................

PosterChild

Reaction score
theebs;2161977 said:

Babe said exactly--as he was going to break near the end of the show and after discussing extensively the roles of Hurd and Austin-- "I'll tell you this, DA will make this team." Cut away...

He was just that terse, but also quite emphatic. Hopefully he will indeed elaborate on this tonight.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
5Countem5;2161997 said:
Tech fans thought the same as you. Welker brings intangibles to the table that you cannot measure.

You keep making this a "for him" or "against him" argument and that's not it. Hell, I hope he starts Week 1, but he won't. That's not being against him, it's being real.

Man, I bet he is sick of this Welker crap. I know I am.

Only I'm not. I clearly stated that I don't expect him to 'become Welker' as so many other suggest that people do.

What 'for him or against him' argument am I making? I'm simply pointing out how those that make disparaging remarks about the guy or his supporters are doing so in an inaccurate, and foolish manner....and there are clearly plenty of those people. You might not be one of them, but they are easily as prevalent as those that support the guy.

...and yes, I too am sick of the Welker crap, but it is unfortunately inevitable and somewhat accurate.

...and the only ones that aren't being 'real' are those that have suggested that people on this forum think that Amendola is 'our savior'....as that is clearly not the case.

Reaction score
I don't think we're set at WR either. JJ wouldn't be trying to work these deals for R. Williams & Bolden if it was. With TG gone, I won't feel comfortable until they bring in a quality 2nd, at least. I would give up next yrs' #1, #3, & #4 easily for Bolden, probably more. We have an extra 3rd & 4th anyway.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
After rookie minicamp, Nick Eatman thought that the Amendola hype wasn't warranted. So far in camp he has really been impressed with guy.(The Lunchbreak)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
tomson75;2161988 said:

I remember his coaches saying that he's a little faster but not quite as quick. That's what I was wanting to know, if he, as a fan, saw the same thing.

I have heard from some Tech fans that "Amendola is no Welker". That's fine but I'd like to know specifically what is different.

I can say that Sam Hurd is no TO... but I can also tell you why he isn't (in part). I'd like to know some of the guys who watched both Welker and Amendola to tell me why Welker looked so good at Tech while Amendola didn't.

I understand that Welker is the better player, but what aspects did he perform better in? According to their coach, Amendola is a little faster but Welker is a little quicker. Was Welker a better route runner? Did Welker have better hands? Was Welker stronger?

Maybe it isn't possible, but I'd like to know those types of things about them.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2162046 said:
I remember his coaches saying that he's a little faster but not quite as quick. That's what I was wanting to know, if he, as a fan, saw the same thing.

I have heard from some Tech fans that "Amendola is no Welker". That's fine but I'd like to know specifically what is different.

I can say that Sam Hurd is no TO... but I can also tell you why he isn't (in part). I'd like to know some of the guys who watched both Welker and Amendola to tell me why Welker looked so good at Tech while Amendola didn't.

I understand that Welker is the better player, but what aspects did he perform better in? According to their coach, Amendola is a little faster but Welker is a little quicker. Was Welker a better route runner? Did Welker have better hands? Was Welker stronger?

It's easy to romanticize the past. Look at videos of Welker in college and look at his stats. Amendola is definitely faster and just as quick.

Welker took some work to turn into what he is now, and he wouldn't be anywhere near as praised if he still was in Miami -- Moss and Tom Brady contributed a lot to his numbers.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2162046 said:

The things that I've heard coaches and scouts say that he was better at include quickness, beating press coverage, and finishing plays. A few have said that Welker had better hands, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for Danny either.

Most layman I've read note the 'intangibles' and 'instincts'....but from what little I've seen, I'd say Amendola is no slouch in those departments either. He might not be in Welker's class, but that certainly doesn't mean that he doesn't have enough to supplant one of the WR's currently ahead of him on the depth chart.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
theogt;2162050 said:
It's easy to romanticize the past. Look at videos of Welker in college and look at his stats. Amendola is definitely faster and just as quick.

Welker took some work to turn into what he is now, and he wouldn't be anywhere near as praised if he still was in Miami -- Moss and Tom Brady contributed a lot to his numbers.

I think you're right about that, in large part. Particularly the Moss and Brady part.

Still, Welker is very good at what he does and from all accounts he was a better player at TT.

I just think people are looking at what Welker is now and comparing Amendola to him... rather than what Welker was when he first went to San Diego.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Welker was a much better player at Tech than Danny. It's not even close.

Hey Tomson-Which coaches and scouts said those things?