Babe Laufenberg: Amendola's Made The Team

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
iceberg;2162739 said:
yea, i just think the skin color helps all the other aspects to the comparison.

so far i love what i hear from the kid. but we've got a tight WR race and that's funny for some people who are so worked up over the position. for welk...amendola to make the team that would cost us austin or stanback. if we sign a vet, both could be gone or we go 6 deep at the position.

we've built up enough talent to where losing people can hurt us and help others now. great place to be in but sucks at times as well.

i'm likely blowing this out of proportion and need to just chill out on it. i just tend to dig a bit deeper on things and bypass "the obvious" when i can. but like you say, there's more to it then that.

good reminder.

I don't think Austin will get cut and I'm almost positive that Stanback will get at least another year. I think the only way we keep Amendola is if we go six deep at WR and Amendola is good enough on special teams to where we can let Oblesby (or a DB like him) go.

That's JMO, of course.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
iceberg;2162745 said:
well i said white and hands. i left off the rest. : ) like you i'm just tired of the comparision and venting, so vent away back at me - i know where you're coming from.

i wish a lot of retired topics would go away but they don't. so i just dive in quickly, reply to a couple of topics and hibernate elsewhere for more casual convo i like on boards. when a site is this big/popular the obvious and redundant just seems to dominate and wear me out.

I hear ya. I get frustrated and try and avoid particular threads, but I don't have the willpower. I always come back...I drag myself back in....and I usually regret it. :D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2162747 said:
I don't think Austin will get cut and I'm almost positive that Stanback will get at least another year. I think the only way we keep Amendola is if we go six deep at WR and Amendola is good enough on special teams to where we can let Oblesby (or a DB like him) go.

That's JMO, of course.
Did Oglesby ever even dress last year?

We could lose both our starting corners and still have a better secondary than most teams in the league.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2162747 said:

That's JMO, of course.

i think you're right but that gives us 6. if we sign / trade for a vet, someone's out the door. amendola would have to definately help in special teams and likely rarely if ever see the field at WR.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
iceberg;2162751 said:
i think you're right but that gives us 6. if we sign / trade for a vet, someone's out the door. amendola would have to definately help in special teams and likely rarely if ever see the field at WR.
That's true, but if you're making predictions, you can only base them on what you know. Based on what I know now, Brad Johnson will make the team.

If we trade for another QB -- perhaps Simms -- Brad Johnson won't make the team.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
iceberg;2162751 said:

Yeah, things change with my prediction if we make a trade for a WR.

Even then, if they like Amendola enough, I could see maybe Austin going out the door. That is assuming Amendola really impressed all through training camp, though.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
theogt;2162762 said:
That's true, but if you're making predictions, you can only base them on what you know. Based on what I know now, Brad Johnson will make the team.

If we trade for another QB -- perhaps Simms -- Brad Johnson won't make the team.

well we do know that jones has been looking but couldn't secure another WR. i've not heard him looking at backup qb as much.

in any event, i still think amendola will wind up practice squad bait unless someone else snags him for their roster. i'd love to see him make it but there's so much against him it's just not likely.

but stranger things have happened.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
iceberg;2162769 said:
well we do know that jones has been looking but couldn't secure another WR. i've not heard him looking at backup qb as much.

in any event, i still think amendola will wind up practice squad bait unless someone else snags him for their roster. i'd love to see him make it but there's so much against him it's just not likely.

Several teams tried like heck to sign him after the draft... including big Bill down in Miami.

If we try to sneak Amendola on the practice squad... he is GONE. No way he makes it there, which is another reason why I think he might make the 53. IF they like him and think he will amount to something in this league... they realize the only way to keep him is to find a place on the 53.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
iceberg;2162769 said:

Right now, I don't think there's much impediment to him making the actual roster. Now, if we have injuries somewhere or we trade for someone, that's a different story. But as we stand, I agree with Babe. Heck, we had injuries at corner last year and kept 6 WRs.

He'll either make this team's 53 or some other team's.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2162779 said:
Several teams tried like heck to sign him after the draft... including big Bill down in Miami.

If we try to sneak Amendola on the practice squad... he is GONE. No way he makes it there, which is another reason why I think he might make the 53. IF they like him and think he will amount to something in this league... they realize the only way to keep him is to find a place on the 53.

like i said earlier, we're talented enough to where we have to make some tough choices and we're going to have to let talent go that will benefit someone else outside the mcdonalds org that our former players used to go to.

can't wait till some preseason games give us more info!

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
The only players that have made the team are the 22 starters from last year, and the rookies from the 5 round up. Everyone else has to earn there spot.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
dargonking999;2162790 said:
The only players that have made the team are the 22 starters from last year, and the rookies from the 5 round up. Everyone else has to earn there spot.

While there are factors that make this essentially true, there are even a few guys from last year that still have to earn their spot.

When Babe said this, I think he meant it more as a prediction more than anything else, I don't think people should be so offended by it.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
tomson75;2162796 said:
While there are factors that make this essentially true, there are even a few guys from last year that still have to earn their spot.

When Babe said this, I think he meant it more as a prediction more than anything else, I don't think people should be so offended by it.

Yea they may have to earn there starting job, but i don't think anyone who started last year is going to be cut. Baring you know a major incident

DFWJC

Reaction score
dangerdoom;2161849 said:
So, it's gonna be:

Owens
Crayton
Hurd
Austin
Stanback
Amendola

Right?

Some say we will only keep 5 this year because we are keeping more DBs

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bizwah;2161888 said:
Maybe they'll attack our WR problem like this next year.

I think most teams would love to have our WR "problem"

I hear you though...with TO getting older and a buch of solid but not great supporting guys, we could use some help with depth. Normally rookies help very little until year three so we may want a top one in the queue starting next year--if one is worthy and represents draft day value.

Otherwise, get Roy!

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I don't get to hear Laufenberg much but I remember hearing him as a guest on the John Thompson show when I was still living in MD. For what it's worth, he was spot on about Romo far before Romo started a game. Even before that first start against Seattle in preseason '06. He was talking about the team, the T.O. signing etc. and he just couldn't stop talking about Romo and how he was the real deal so I listen to what he has to day. I'm excited about the Amendola kid. Although Crayton is a solid slot guy, he and our other young vets do not have a paticular quickness about them in short space. A Welker type would be a terror in this offense. I'm really rooting for him.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;2162820 said:
I don't get to hear Laufenberg much but I remember hearing him as a guest on the John Thompson show when I was still living in MD. For what it's worth, he was spot on about Romo far before Romo started a game. Even before that first start against Seattle in preseason '06. He was talking about the team, the T.O. signing etc. and he just couldn't stop talking about Romo and how he was the real deal so I listen to what he has to day. I'm excited about the Amendola kid. Although Crayton is a solid slot guy, he and our other young vets do not have a paticular quickness about them in short space. A Welker type would be a terror in this offense. I'm really rooting for him.

I tend to listen to what he has to say as well.

And as far as Amendola is concerned... it's simple for me: I would love to add his quickness, heart and toughness to this team. Having that as a 5th or 6th receiver can't be anything but a positive, IMO.

Will Amendola be what I hope he is? We don't know right now. But if he is, then Dallas will be a better team for it. And really, that's what I'm all about. I'm not an Amendola fan. I'm a Dallas fan who wants to add a dimension to our team that we don't have at the moment.

Here's hoping I'm correct on him. :)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dangerdoom;2161849 said:
So, it's gonna be:

Owens
Crayton
Hurd
Austin
Stanback
Amendola

Right?

Yep... although I would like to see someone challenge for the #2 instead of Crayton getting it by default.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Some very good posts on this thread. When you start churning the bottom of the roster then it's hard to make predictions. I respect Babe as far as judging talent. He should be could at looking at QBs and WRs and likely more. It's great Amendola is getting press. Sounds as if he might have a future in this league. He's definitely got a chance.

When I mentioned injuries I wasn't just talking about injuries affecting other positions on this team. If a guy in front of him right now goes down he'll likely creep up the tree some if he's really good enough to play in this league as a WR. We don't know that about Stanback or really Austin. We probably do know about Hurd. He'll have to make this team and if he's all that then he'll either play here or somewhere else. He could possibly get traded although if he's that good he will likely make the team.

Gonna be some hard choices in the last two cut downs.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
it was one of the more fun threads. : ) and you're right - churning the bottom sometimes means letting go of last years (or even the year befores) crowd favorite to make the team and we have to grab onto a new one.