Bacon!

yimyammer

Reaction score
I make some great maple-garlic cured bacon

KtlgJrp.jpg

FrXRIbv.jpg

Here's some country bacon I cure with the same spices but use pork shoulder instead of pork belly

9LAbNhB.jpg

yimyammer

Reaction score
Let me introduce you to the Mother ****ing Lardon!!

WE1oLpT.jpg

Appropriately named, its slab bacon that has been diced, blanched and fried and as any bacon lover already knows is packed with flavor. They can be cooked in advance and added to salads, sauces, eggs and virtually anything your tastebuds desire, we've even crisped them up and finely diced them and added them to popcorn that was cooked in the rendered fat that was produced from making the lardons....best popcorn ever!

They're easy to make, start with a slab of bacon or cure & smoke some pork belly to make your own bacon (our in-house cured bacon is on the right, the left slab is apple wood smoked bacon from Whole Foods, I just had the butcher sell me the slab and not slice it):

etsJHYw.jpg

Dice them into bite size cubes/rectangles:

hN2nl2U.jpg

Use a large, thick metal pan so they can be spread out without touching each other or stacking them (stacking them or veggies causes the food to be steamed by the moisture released from the items on the bottom and causes uneven cooking & soggy veggies):

v36tAy0.jpg

E1DKiac.jpg

Add water to about 1/2 to 3/4 the thickness of the cubed cuts & Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat enough to keep the water simmering so it will slowly cook the lardons as the water evaporates::

TAExuXS.jpg

Continue to cook until all the water has evaporated and the fats have started to render and fry the lardons:

MTfeNkv.jpg

hd56JVo.jpg

turn the lardons as they start to brown so they are cooked evenly on all sides:

1AZioxz.jpg

when they're browned on all sides, remove from heat and allow the fat to drain on a towel or by placing them on a wire rack, wallah:

u54LcbD.jpg

Use them on whatever dish u like, hell, they're great all by themselves, I added a few on top of my shirred eggs for a quick & tasty bfast:

5FPfvc4.jpg

I also like to crisp bacon and then toss with honey and sprinkle over eggs on a tortilla with goat cheese and arugula, friggin awesome:

RPKPHU0.jpg

Bon Apetit!

PS..save the bacon fat & use it to make eggs, popcorn, gravy, etc

PSS...I LOVE BACON!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let me introduce you to the Mother ****ing Lardon!!

WE1oLpT.jpg

Appropriately named, its slab bacon that has been diced, blanched and fried and as any bacon lover already knows is packed with flavor. They can be cooked in advance and added to salads, sauces, eggs and virtually anything your tastebuds desire, we've even crisped them up and finely diced them and added them to popcorn that was cooked in the rendered fat that was produced from making the lardons....best popcorn ever!

They're easy to make, start with a slab of bacon or cure & smoke some pork belly to make your own bacon (our in-house cured bacon is on the right, the left slab is apple wood smoked bacon from Whole Foods, I just had the butcher sell me the slab and not slice it):

etsJHYw.jpg

Dice them into bite size cubes/rectangles:

hN2nl2U.jpg

Use a large, thick metal pan so they can be spread out without touching each other or stacking them (stacking them or veggies causes the food to be steamed by the moisture released from the items on the bottom and causes uneven cooking & soggy veggies):

v36tAy0.jpg

E1DKiac.jpg

Add water to about 1/2 to 3/4 the thickness of the cubed cuts & Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat enough to keep the water simmering so it will slowly cook the lardons as the water evaporates::

TAExuXS.jpg

Continue to cook until all the water has evaporated and the fats have started to render and fry the lardons:

MTfeNkv.jpg

hd56JVo.jpg

turn the lardons as they start to brown so they are cooked evenly on all sides:

1AZioxz.jpg

when they're browned on all sides, remove from heat and allow the fat to drain on a towel or by placing them on a wire rack, wallah:

u54LcbD.jpg

Use them on whatever dish u like, hell, they're great all by themselves, I added a few on top of my shirred eggs for a quick & tasty bfast:

5FPfvc4.jpg

I also like to crisp bacon and then toss with honey and sprinkle over eggs on a tortilla with goat cheese and arugula, friggin awesome:

RPKPHU0.jpg

Bon Apetit!

PS..save the bacon fat & use it to make eggs, popcorn, gravy, etc

PSS...I LOVE BACON!
Now ya got me wishin' I'd had THIS on my pizza today, instead of sausage, pepperoni, and jalapeno!..... almost.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
mlekcnwnpiofqm6aru9x

I make these about three or four times a month. There is a couple tricks to it like using a half piece of bacon and deep frying the shrimp. It doesn't work too well on the grill, you get mushy bacon and overdone shrimp.

It is easy:
Buy larger shrimp and butterfly, can even split them all the way to the tail. Stuff with a sliver of jalapeno and a rectangular piece of cheese(white variety) then wrap tightly in that half piece of bacon. You can oven bake them but I like the crunch when deep fried.

Also, when in a restaurant and the menu says grilled...........there is a 90% chance it is not :D

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
mlekcnwnpiofqm6aru9x

I make these about three or four times a month. There is a couple tricks to it like using a half piece of bacon and deep frying the shrimp. It doesn't work too well on the grill, you get mushy bacon and overdone shrimp.

It is easy:
Buy larger shrimp and butterfly, can even split them all the way to the tail. Stuff with a sliver of jalapeno and a rectangular piece of cheese(white variety) then wrap tightly in that half piece of bacon. You can oven bake them but I like the crunch when deep fried.

Also, when in a restaurant and the menu says grilled...........there is a 90% chance it is not :D
I'm going to do this, this weekend. Thanks!!!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
mlekcnwnpiofqm6aru9x

It is easy:

One thing you can do is par bake the bacon before wrapping the shrimp for the grill. Put the half slices in the oven and bake, just remember to pull it out while it's still pliable enough to wrap. It doesn't quite crisp up like frying but comes out much better than straight to the grill. Another solution for grilling them is to use very thin sliced bacon, but I like my bacon thick.

You're right about restaurants, many fry them and then finish them on the grill to pick up a little smoke.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm no chef, so I keep it simple. Bacon wrapped habanero stuffed olives.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One thing you can do is par bake the bacon before wrapping the shrimp for the grill. Put the half slices in the oven and bake, just remember to pull it out while it's still pliable enough to wrap. It doesn't quite crisp up like frying but comes out much better than straight to the grill. Another solution for grilling them is to use very thin sliced bacon, but I like my bacon thick.

You're right about restaurants, many fry them and then finish them on the grill to pick up a little smoke.

I didn't want to get too complicated but sometimes I do cook the bacon halfway if I am grilling it. I love the smoke on it but grilling takes practice and different techniques to master. Sticking and loss of cheese is a common problem for beginners when grilling.