Bacon!

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Let me introduce you to the Mother ****ing Lardon!!

WE1oLpT.jpg

Appropriately named, its slab bacon that has been diced, blanched and fried and as any bacon lover already knows is packed with flavor. They can be cooked in advance and added to salads, sauces, eggs and virtually anything your tastebuds desire, we've even crisped them up and finely diced them and added them to popcorn that was cooked in the rendered fat that was produced from making the lardons....best popcorn ever!

They're easy to make, start with a slab of bacon or cure & smoke some pork belly to make your own bacon (our in-house cured bacon is on the right, the left slab is apple wood smoked bacon from Whole Foods, I just had the butcher sell me the slab and not slice it):

etsJHYw.jpg

Dice them into bite size cubes/rectangles:

hN2nl2U.jpg

Use a large, thick metal pan so they can be spread out without touching each other or stacking them (stacking them or veggies causes the food to be steamed by the moisture released from the items on the bottom and causes uneven cooking & soggy veggies):

v36tAy0.jpg

E1DKiac.jpg

Add water to about 1/2 to 3/4 the thickness of the cubed cuts & Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat enough to keep the water simmering so it will slowly cook the lardons as the water evaporates::

TAExuXS.jpg

Continue to cook until all the water has evaporated and the fats have started to render and fry the lardons:

MTfeNkv.jpg

hd56JVo.jpg

turn the lardons as they start to brown so they are cooked evenly on all sides:

1AZioxz.jpg

when they're browned on all sides, remove from heat and allow the fat to drain on a towel or by placing them on a wire rack, wallah:

u54LcbD.jpg

Use them on whatever dish u like, hell, they're great all by themselves, I added a few on top of my shirred eggs for a quick & tasty bfast:

5FPfvc4.jpg

I also like to crisp bacon and then toss with honey and sprinkle over eggs on a tortilla with goat cheese and arugula, friggin awesome:

RPKPHU0.jpg

Bon Apetit!

PS..save the bacon fat & use it to make eggs, popcorn, gravy, etc

PSS...I LOVE BACON!
You, sir have won the internet.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
I can never understand why your bacon is cut from the belly, it nice when its cooked well, but British bacon is cut from loin, which is a lot more meaty.

1200px-Bacon.JPG

It's similar to Canadian Bacon.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I can never understand why your bacon is cut from the belly, it nice when its cooked well, but British bacon is cut from loin, which is a lot more meaty.

1200px-Bacon.JPG

What’s to understand, you live in the old country, two different worlds...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

1200px-Bacon.JPG

The flavor comes from the fat.....but being British, flavor is foreign to you.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

1200px-Bacon.JPG

Well that's just thin sliced pork chops and Canadian bacon is just ham......not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not real bacon. Real bacon has to have the fat, that's what gives it it's crispiness and flavor. When that fats crisps up and caramelizes, that's when the magic happens.

cbmbcov.jpg

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Meh. You say it tastes like Canadian bacon, which tastes like fried bologna.
Its nothing like Bologna, Bacon is just cured pork, and we do have several cuts, we have streaky which is similar to your bacon, the picture I showed is called back bacon so more meat and less fat, and there is middle bacon which is 50/50 loin/fat, and you can also buy it smoked and unsmoked.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Its nothing like Bologna, Bacon is just cured pork, and we do have several cuts, we have streaky which is similar to your bacon, the picture I showed is called back bacon so more meat and less fat, and there is middle bacon which is 50/50 loin/fat, and you can also buy it smoked and unsmoked.
I'm just joking, but Canadian bacon does taste a lot like fried bologna.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
I'm just joking, but Canadian bacon does taste a lot like fried bologna.

Another reason why it differs, is you use bacon a lot for other meals, so that fat adds flavour, Bacon over here is mostly a Breakfast based either with a Fry Up, or in a Sandwich with other fillings, Egg, Sausage, Tomato, Mushrooms, Beans or a combination of all.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Another reason why it differs, is you use bacon a lot for other meals, so that fat adds flavour, Bacon over here is mostly a Breakfast based either with a Fry Up, or in a Sandwich with other fillings, Egg, Sausage, Tomato, Mushrooms, Beans or a combination of all.
I've got bacon on my sandwich right this moment, along with Buffalo chicken, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and jalapeno sauce, on a ciabatta roll....Best sandwich, ever.