Bacon!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I didn't want to get too complicated but sometimes I do cook the bacon halfway if I am grilling it. I love the smoke on it but grilling takes practice and different techniques to master. Sticking and loss of cheese is a common problem for beginners when grilling.
I don't use cheese in mine as often, but when I do, I use chunk cheese sliced in thick slivers and pop them in the freezer for a little while before wrapping.

Vomit

Reaction score
You guys rule..oh wait BACON RULES! We just serve the meaty goodness.....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspected her climaxes she'd been fakin'
With the lack of sounds she had been makin'
I asked my silent love why oh why
She responded with a twinkle in her eye
Think you might give me some more bacon?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Let me introduce you to the Mother ****ing Lardon!!

WE1oLpT.jpg

Appropriately named, its slab bacon that has been diced, blanched and fried and as any bacon lover already knows is packed with flavor. They can be cooked in advance and added to salads, sauces, eggs and virtually anything your tastebuds desire, we've even crisped them up and finely diced them and added them to popcorn that was cooked in the rendered fat that was produced from making the lardons....best popcorn ever!

They're easy to make, start with a slab of bacon or cure & smoke some pork belly to make your own bacon (our in-house cured bacon is on the right, the left slab is apple wood smoked bacon from Whole Foods, I just had the butcher sell me the slab and not slice it):

etsJHYw.jpg

Dice them into bite size cubes/rectangles:

hN2nl2U.jpg

Use a large, thick metal pan so they can be spread out without touching each other or stacking them (stacking them or veggies causes the food to be steamed by the moisture released from the items on the bottom and causes uneven cooking & soggy veggies):

v36tAy0.jpg

E1DKiac.jpg

Add water to about 1/2 to 3/4 the thickness of the cubed cuts & Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat enough to keep the water simmering so it will slowly cook the lardons as the water evaporates::

TAExuXS.jpg

Continue to cook until all the water has evaporated and the fats have started to render and fry the lardons:

MTfeNkv.jpg

hd56JVo.jpg

turn the lardons as they start to brown so they are cooked evenly on all sides:

1AZioxz.jpg

when they're browned on all sides, remove from heat and allow the fat to drain on a towel or by placing them on a wire rack, wallah:

u54LcbD.jpg

Use them on whatever dish u like, hell, they're great all by themselves, I added a few on top of my shirred eggs for a quick & tasty bfast:

5FPfvc4.jpg

I also like to crisp bacon and then toss with honey and sprinkle over eggs on a tortilla with goat cheese and arugula, friggin awesome:

RPKPHU0.jpg

Bon Apetit!

PS..save the bacon fat & use it to make eggs, popcorn, gravy, etc

PSS...I LOVE BACON!
I love the cubed bacon for turnip greens, pinto and butter beans.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
LOL.........and neither is Chicken of the Sea!
You just need some good ole southern cookin........pinto beans with ham hocks, turnip greens, fried taters with cornbread (non sweet) corn on the cob, sweet tea.........that should tide you over till suppertime.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol....it's good stuff man..........

PS:......This'll really throw you for a loop Rwb............chicken fried steak really isn't chicken either.

Thanks for the reminder, hadn't had one in a few weeks. Texas Roadhouse for dinner it is!

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Good home cooking and their biscuits are great.
If you feel adventurous for some "soul food" (it was just supper growing up), there's a place called "sweet Georgia Browns" on Ledbetter. I used to go whenever I had an appt. at the Dallas VA.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Yep, I used to use salt pork for that but the lardons from pork belly are better. However, a ham hock in the pintos is a requirement along with jalapeno cornbread.
I switched from ham hocks to pork shanks in beans but sometimes they are hard to find