Bad day for the stat nerds

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those of you who can’t comprehend what a good modern day defense looks like and you only look at numbers that have 0 context you must be struggling today to explain to yourself what you saw last night from our defense.

Buh buh but.. #29 pass defense.

Since Dak wasn’t there to hang 40 on them we didn’t get to see Kirk Cousins do a bunch of stat padding so the stat nerds can show us a number that is some kind of proof of how “terrible” our defense is.

The defense has been a strength all season and last night it was a strength yet again.

If you just looked at the box score you would think Cooper Rush operated like a really good NFL QB but if you actually watch the game you know that’s not the case.

Random thoughts::

Cedric Wilson is awesome.

Cooper is the man.

Lamb needs to fix the drops it’s annoying.

NFL refs stink.

Next 2 day should be interesting for La’el Collins with trade deadline coming.

Gregory was the best player on the field.

Parsons had a monster game and it still doesn’t compare to his impact as a pass rusher.

I was worried about the defense after the Vikings first possession, but they were very good the rest of the way.

As for Rush, yes, the stats are a little misleading, but he did a very good job for starting his first game and playing against one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Agreed on the refs. I'm not one to complain much about refs, even when they make mistakes, but that was a poorly officiated game last night.

shabazz

Reaction score
Every fan has to be excited about the present state of things......but I’ve been disappointed for the last 25 years so its reserved elation

I never thought it possible that our defense can go from almost worst to almost first in just 8 short games so I’ll be skeptical but hopeful until I see a real playoff run

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas needs to win now because next year our contracts may decimate the team like it’s done to the Chiefs roster.

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

I thought you said Dak's contract has already decimated our chances? Now you are pushing it back a year? :facepalm:

Dude I predicted them to win the East this year. Your comprehension never ceases to amaze.

And no I don’t feel good going forward unless the cap expands dramatically.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If I’m the Patriots I’m on the phone trying to get someone.

I don’t think Odell would have a market. Maybe the Packers.

Not sure about Michael Thomas.

Gallup and New England looks like a great fit but what could they give us. I want players not picks.
The Patriots would not do it but I would trade Gallup for that second round pick from Alabama and put him at 1 tech. I think we would have one of the best defenses in the league if we just had above average 1 tech.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dude I predicted them to win the East this year. Your comprehension never ceases to amaze.

And no I don’t feel going forward unless the cap expands dramatically.

LOL..............yep, you said we would win the NFC EAST ONLY because the rest of the NFC sucks. You actually whined about. At least you were smart enough to catch yourself in the middle of your crying tantrum about Dak's new contract.

You said over and over again that this team would have no real chance.

Aven8

Reaction score
If something can make us better I’m all for it.

I just don’t know what that move is.

If I’m trading I’m trading picks. Tyron is ailing, so we can’t lose Collins. No way I’m unloading Pollard or Gallup either. One injury alway from needing them. I hate to trade picks too as we’ve been so good in the draft as well though

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Patriots would not do it but I would trade Gallup for that second round pick from Alabama and put him at 1 tech. I think we would have one of the best defenses in the league if we just had above average 1 tech.

I think Dallas is more intrigued with Gallimore and Hill than someone else’s guy.

Right now all I could see is a trade for some linebacker depth. Nothing flashy.

Id love a corner. Maybe Howard or bring back Byron from Miami.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think Dallas is more intrigued with Gallimore and Hill than someone else’s guy.

Right now all I could see is a trade for some linebacker depth. Nothing flashy.

Id love a corner. Maybe Howard or bring back Byron from Miami.
They don’t want to pay for cornerback. That is why the let Byron go. Howard is expensive too. The secondary is ok. It’s all about the pass rush. Tank needs to come and play well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They don’t want to pay for cornerback. That is why the let Byron go. Howard is expensive too. The secondary is ok. It’s all about the pass rush. Tank needs to come and play well.

I think they got guys coming back to boost the pass rush.

Golston and Basham have been a nice surprise as well.

Reaction score
Oh.. You mean we weren’t beating the heck out of our opponent so they couldn’t stat pad and it was more like week 2 in a close contest?

is that what they were doing, lol? Weird for them to pad their stats by gashing the defense in the first quarter...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Rush did enough.

It would be interesting to see how much better he would be with more experience on the field but I’d rather some other team find out and we move on.

He just couldn’t generate points and if we got 2 scores behind that game was over.

He also freaks out and throws into heavy coverage too easy instead of just throwing it to his check down or out of bounds.

Im glad he won the game but all the guy did was run the offense. It was a bare minimum performance and it was enough.

Ease up on a guy making his first ever start on the road, man. I posted repeatedly last night that he was making panic throws when the rush got close to him. When he finally did settle down and realize that just because they were close doesn't mean they were going to hit him and even if they do sometimes you need to take the hit and deliver the ball anyway. I think with a bit more experience he can be a serviceable NFL QB. Never going to be great with that arm.. but he does appear to have a good NFL mind and he's better than he looks athlete so he's an ideal backup.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ease up on a guy making his first ever start on the road, man. I posted repeatedly last night that he was making panic throws when the rush got close to him. When he finally did settle down and realize that just because they were close doesn't mean they were going to hit him and even if they do sometimes you need to take the hit and deliver the ball anyway. I think with a bit more experience he can be a serviceable NFL QB. Never going to be great with that arm.. but he does appear to have a good NFL mind and he's better than he looks athlete so he's an ideal backup.

I just have no confidence going forward with him.

It seems like a risk to rely on that guy to be your backup going forward.

Now that was his first game ever and it was on the road but everything was optimal for him and it was so ugly at times. Not like he’s a rookie either and there is nothing there physically that makes you think he has any upside.

About all I can say about him is he knows the offense well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The defense would not let those guys convert any 3rd downs.
It was impressive!

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Fans and some pundits keep pointing out the amount of yards that the pass defense has given up, but they completely leave out the context that the Cowboys have had big leads in about 3 games this season, causing the opposing teams offenses to have to pass in order to try and catch up. Then the Cowboys go to a softer, prevent style defense in the 2nd half.