Bail on this backfield, asap

erod

Reaction score
It takes a special kind of stupid to reach over a pile backwards with a football on 1st-and-goal from the 1-yard line. You can't teach, or un-teach, that level of abject stupidity.

Likewise, stepping up in the pocket is instinctual for a real NFL quarterback who genuinely wants to make a play and has his eyes downfield. You can't un-coach fear from a fearful quarterback, who will run scared out of the back of a perfect pocket most every time.

I fear coaching insanity will continue to play Weeden and Randle, hoping for different. And you know the definition of insanity.

The fix for this defense is two-fold. First, dudes need to return, a la Hardy, Gregory, McClain, and Lee. Second, this offense has to show some teeth and stop gumming its way down the field on hope and prayer.

Dunbar's injury made an otherwise easy decision more difficult. I would cut Randle today. All that ability is worthless with that vacuum of a cranium he has. He's unfixable, his teammates quite obviously don't trust or like him, and disaster follow him on and off the field like open sores on a Saints fan.

Likewise, I'm installing Cassel as soon as possible. If not this week, the bye should be a perfect time. Weeden's cannon, much like Randle's legs, is of no use if he can only lock on one guy, and bail if he's not open. I know Cassel can at least do this, so what's the risk?

I understand Dunbar's injury muddies the waters at running back, and I know Weeden's stats look respectable on paper. But you can't fix the fatal flaws of these guys that lose football games. There's a reason Weeden has lost 13 straight starts.

Unfortunately, I expect coach and franchise speak will set in, and they'll pin their hopes on the returning defensive players on the way.

This team has to get to 4-5 wins by the time Romo gets here, and the Weeden-Randle combo isn't going to get this there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm bringing in other options at running back.

3sx41a.jpg

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It takes a special kind of stupid to reach over a pile backwards with a football on 1st-and-goal from the 1-yard line. You can't teach, or un-teach, that level of abject stupidity.

Likewise, stepping up in the pocket is instinctual for a real NFL quarterback who genuinely wants to make a play and has his eyes downfield. You can't un-coach fear from a fearful quarterback, who will run scared out of the back of a perfect pocket most every time.

I fear coaching insanity will continue to play Weeden and Randle, hoping for different. And you know the definition of insanity.

The fix for this defense is two-fold. First, dudes need to return, a la Hardy, Gregory, McClain, and Lee. Second, this offense has to show some teeth and stop gumming its way down the field on hope and prayer.

Dunbar's injury made an otherwise easy decision more difficult. I would cut Randle today. All that ability is worthless with that vacuum of a cranium he has. He's unfixable, his teammates quite obviously don't trust or like him, and disaster follow him on and off the field like open sores on a Saints fan.

Likewise, I'm installing Cassel as soon as possible. If not this week, the bye should be a perfect time. Weeden's cannon, much like Randle's legs, is of no use if he can only lock on one guy, and bail if he's not open. I know Cassel can at least do this, so what's the risk?

I understand Dunbar's injury muddies the waters at running back, and I know Weeden's stats look respectable on paper. But you can't fix the fatal flaws of these guys that lose football games. There's a reason Weeden has lost 13 straight starts.

Unfortunately, I expect coach and franchise speak will set in, and they'll pin their hopes on the returning defensive players on the way.

This team has to get to 4-5 wins by the time Romo gets here, and the Weeden-Randle combo isn't going to get this there.
I am the biggest critic of ourn RBs but by committee didn't we get over 100 yards rushing Sunday?
Like I say (even in my sleep) our RBs are, individually, midgets. Not ready for prime time or the NFL at large. But if they can get 100 yards per game combined, I half no problems wit that.

As for Weeden, yeah, let's go with Cassell, a journeymans who has been here 2 or so weeks and probably won't do better.
And yes, Weeden is a terrible tackler, As are our defensive team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not pinning these losses on Weeden. As a backup quarterback, he's done enough for this team to win. If the other parts that needed to step up did, this team wouldn't have lost its' last two games.

Kaiser

Reaction score
IMO you put Randle as the 3rd down back and then give DMC and/or Michael the carries or trade for a guy like Forte.

The offseason plan (which I didn't agree with) was that the OL was so good anyone could run through huge holes. So have a low paid committee waltz through those huge holes. That has only happened a couple of times a game. At this point we either need the OL to get much better or have a better RB for the majority of the carries.

lostar2009

Reaction score
First off, where are you rb's a dime a dozen guys at now? Moving on to the D let's face it we got some pressure but this the same DLine from last year that needed to be upgraded. Our rb and qb situation is just making it worst on our D. Right now we have a 3 quarter D because that is all they are good for, 3 quarters. Our D was worn out in the 4 th quarter. I think we need Moore right now. Weeden has the bigger arm but no accuracey and no ability no read defenses. Give me the "noodle" arm that can read a D and know where to go with the ball.

knightrider94

Reaction score
Free is no good right now. The O line needs to wake up! Get Collins in if Leary isn't really ready to play. So mad right now because I thought the O line was the least of our worries. How can you fall of so in ONE year?!?!

foofighters

Reaction score

I pretty much agree with all of this. I know there are guys here who just can't get enough of Weeden's jock and I can't understand why. He doesn't have it in him to step/slide and make a throw or run. He just squirts out of the back end of the pocket and is either tackled or falls down to avoid (he could have gotten rid of the ball here too). Just load the box and go after Weeden. Ya, he'll make a couple of throws but he can't make any plays on his own. I am also done with Randle.

erod

Reaction score
I am the biggest critic of ourn RBs but by committee didn't we get over 100 yards rushing Sunday?
Like I say (even in my sleep) our RBs are, individually, midgets. Not ready for prime time or the NFL at large. But if they can get 100 yards per game combined, I half no problems wit that.

As for Weeden, yeah, let's go with Cassell, a journeymans who has been here 2 or so weeks and probably won't do better.
And yes, Weeden is a terrible tackler, As are our defensive team.

That backup has an 11-5 season on his resume. That's far more pedigree than the lilly-livered Weeden.

Defense has looked good for a half and wilted late the past two weeks. A big part of that is on the offense, which is getting ganged up on because of Weeden's fear and one-read ability.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
First off, where are you rb's a dime a dozen guys at now? Moving on to the D let's face it we got some pressure but this the same DLine from last year that needed to be upgraded. Our rb and qb situation is just making it worst on our D. Right now we have a 3 quarter D because that is all they are good for, 3 quarters. Our D was worn out in the 4 th quarter. I think we need Moore right now. Weeden has the bigger arm but no accuracey and no ability no read defenses. Give me the "noodle" arm that can read a D and know where to go with the ball.

RB's are a dime a dozen, in the DRAFT! But no, instead we decide to use our 3rd round pick on a developmental OT who is destined to be a backup, and the same goes for our 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks... Eight picks and they don't select a single RB, but we did draft a really good 4th string TE in Swaim.

That said, if Romo were healthy, we're probably 4-0 right now, and nobody would be that worried about the RB position.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That backup has an 11-5 season on his resume.

Defense has looked good for a half and wilted late the past two weeks. A big part of that is on the offense, which is getting ganged up on because of Weeden's fear and one-read ability.

No wonder his former team fought so hard to keep him and no wonder every team in the NFL also coveted him.

Also, I thought the knock on Weeden was his constant check downs?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So... What is wrong with Randle again?

I don't get it with you guys.. You give this guy any space and he makes big plays.

Murray was a fumbling machine and he never got this kind of hate.

erod

Reaction score
No wonder his former team fought so hard to keep him and no wonder every team in the NFL also coveted him.

Also, I thought the knock on Weeden was his constant check downs?

My knock on Weeden is he looks scared out of his mind. He bails out the back of the pocket just like Stephen McGee. Way too scary in there, apparently. Tyron Smith runs the defensive end around just like he's supposed to, and Weeden steps BACK into the sack. Serious quarterbacks step forward into the pocket so they can still step into the throw. When he took that late slide against Atlanta when the first down was there for him, I was done with him.

Cassel can't possibly be worse.

erod

Reaction score
So... What is wrong with Randle again?

I don't get it with you guys.. You give this guy any space and he makes big plays.

Murray was a fumbling machine and he never got this kind of hate.

He's dumb as a rock. No situational awareness at all.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
That backup has an 11-5 season on his resume. That's far more pedigree than the lilly-livered Weeden.

That was seven years ago. With Randy Moss and Wes Welker and Bill Belichick. I mean not to pick on just you but is anyone here working with a modern scouting report of Cassel? If Weeden is dink and dunk, then Cassel is the god that he prays to. He makes Weeden look like Dan Fouts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's dumb as a rock. No situational awareness at all.

He's in his 4th game as a starter.

He's making plays anytime there is a shred of space to run in... He's catching passes and his pass blocking that everyone was so afraid of has been fine.

Joseph Randle has been good this season.

His supposed bonehead play was a Touchdown lol. He is far and away the most over critiqued player I think I've ever seen.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
Might be a good time to trade for Tevin Coleman. Freeman has surely grasped the RB1 role in Atlanta now.

Reactions: BAT

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The goal line backwards "statue-of-liberty" pose was reckless. More concerning is that he dove after his coaches told him not to do it again last week. But with that said, he is CLEARLY the best option we have at RB. Until i see something from Michael as a Cowboy, I'm not buying into the hype. Doesn't mean he can or cant do better but i would like to see something first before making declarations of how great he can be. So for now, Randle has to be the guy. McFadden is painful to watch. Get him to the edge and he can run straight with speed. Otherwise, he's looking to go down.