Bail on this backfield, asap

erod

Reaction score
Matt Cassell had Jamal Charles in his backfield and failed, so I don't see how he's any more entitled than Weeden is.

He couldn't possibly be worse. What's to lose?

I'd settle for a QB with testicles at this point.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
erod said:
He's unfixable, his teammates quite obviously don't trust or like him, and disaster follow him on and off the field like open sores on a Saints fan.

:laugh:

burmafrd

Reaction score
He's in his 4th game as a starter.

He's making plays anytime there is a shred of space to run in... He's catching passes and his pass blocking that everyone was so afraid of has been fine.

Joseph Randle has been good this season.

His supposed bonehead play was a Touchdown lol. He is far and away the most over critiqued player I think I've ever seen.
you seem to rather interestingly forget that Randle has had a checkered off field past. You seem to rather interestingly forget he did something he was told MULTIPLE times not to do then laughed about it. You seem to rather interestingly forget that you need personal discipline to succeed anywhere and Randle has shown very little.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
I think you need to start with the people who thought Randle and Weden were the appropriate choices in the first place.

You should have put that in bold and capital letters as big as possible!!!!!!!

burmafrd

Reaction score
We need more from Weedon then we are getting and there is no sign there is any more. It is as simple as that so really there is no reason not to try Cassel. We are losing with Weedon; might as well try losing with Cassel and hope for better. Randle the Ridiculous needs to be benched- might as well try CM. We are LOSING with what we are trying right now- there was NO reason we should have lost to the saints.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It takes a special kind of stupid to reach over a pile backwards with a football on 1st-and-goal from the 1-yard line. You can't teach, or un-teach, that level of abject stupidity.

Likewise, stepping up in the pocket is instinctual for a real NFL quarterback who genuinely wants to make a play and has his eyes downfield. You can't un-coach fear from a fearful quarterback, who will run scared out of the back of a perfect pocket most every time.

I fear coaching insanity will continue to play Weeden and Randle, hoping for different. And you know the definition of insanity.

The fix for this defense is two-fold. First, dudes need to return, a la Hardy, Gregory, McClain, and Lee. Second, this offense has to show some teeth and stop gumming its way down the field on hope and prayer.

Dunbar's injury made an otherwise easy decision more difficult. I would cut Randle today. All that ability is worthless with that vacuum of a cranium he has. He's unfixable, his teammates quite obviously don't trust or like him, and disaster follow him on and off the field like open sores on a Saints fan.

Likewise, I'm installing Cassel as soon as possible. If not this week, the bye should be a perfect time. Weeden's cannon, much like Randle's legs, is of no use if he can only lock on one guy, and bail if he's not open. I know Cassel can at least do this, so what's the risk?

I understand Dunbar's injury muddies the waters at running back, and I know Weeden's stats look respectable on paper. But you can't fix the fatal flaws of these guys that lose football games. There's a reason Weeden has lost 13 straight starts.

Unfortunately, I expect coach and franchise speak will set in, and they'll pin their hopes on the returning defensive players on the way.

This team has to get to 4-5 wins by the time Romo gets here, and the Weeden-Randle combo isn't going to get this there.

Research by football outsiders indicates that the Cowboys RBs have been slightly better than expected relative to the blocking; whereas, with a team like the Patriots their RBs have far underachieved relative to the blocking.

btcutter

Reaction score
I think you need to start with the people who thought Randle and Weden were the appropriate choices in the first place.

But they are the same people that picked Gregory, Hardy, McClain and Collins....

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Randle other than his boneheaded dives. That O line has to come out playing in the second half. Randle has been tearing it in the 1st halves of games and you could not ask more of this guy. Most of you are delusional with the running back situation, considering that we are handicapped with injuries at the moment. Bring back Dez and Romo and lets see if the backs get better. :facepalm:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It takes a special kind of stupid to reach over a pile backwards with a football on 1st-and-goal from the 1-yard line. You can't teach, or un-teach, that level of abject stupidity.

Likewise, stepping up in the pocket is instinctual for a real NFL quarterback who genuinely wants to make a play and has his eyes downfield. You can't un-coach fear from a fearful quarterback, who will run scared out of the back of a perfect pocket most every time.

I fear coaching insanity will continue to play Weeden and Randle, hoping for different. And you know the definition of insanity.

The fix for this defense is two-fold. First, dudes need to return, a la Hardy, Gregory, McClain, and Lee. Second, this offense has to show some teeth and stop gumming its way down the field on hope and prayer.

Dunbar's injury made an otherwise easy decision more difficult. I would cut Randle today. All that ability is worthless with that vacuum of a cranium he has. He's unfixable, his teammates quite obviously don't trust or like him, and disaster follow him on and off the field like open sores on a Saints fan.

Likewise, I'm installing Cassel as soon as possible. If not this week, the bye should be a perfect time. Weeden's cannon, much like Randle's legs, is of no use if he can only lock on one guy, and bail if he's not open. I know Cassel can at least do this, so what's the risk?

I understand Dunbar's injury muddies the waters at running back, and I know Weeden's stats look respectable on paper. But you can't fix the fatal flaws of these guys that lose football games. There's a reason Weeden has lost 13 straight starts.

Unfortunately, I expect coach and franchise speak will set in, and they'll pin their hopes on the returning defensive players on the way.

This team has to get to 4-5 wins by the time Romo gets here, and the Weeden-Randle combo isn't going to get this there.

The offense was good enough to win against the Saints and maybe even against the Falcons. It just wasn't good enough to dominate the time of possession and cover up for the defense.

The defense has been the biggest issue in the 2 losses.

Hopefully getting Hardy and RoMc back will cure some of their problems. I would also really help if Lee could play a complete game. When the LBs on a critical drive are Keith Smith and the rookie Wilson, you're probably going to have problems which is exactly what happened.

erod

Reaction score
But they are the same people that picked Gregory, Hardy, McClain and Collins....

And Smith, Frederick, Martin, Leary, Crawford, Hitchens, Lawrence, Wilcox, Beasley, Williams............

btcutter

Reaction score
My knock on Weeden is he looks scared out of his mind. He bails out the back of the pocket just like Stephen McGee. Way too scary in there, apparently. Tyron Smith runs the defensive end around just like he's supposed to, and Weeden steps BACK into the sack. Serious quarterbacks step forward into the pocket so they can still step into the throw. When he took that late slide against Atlanta when the first down was there for him, I was done with him.

Cassel can't possibly be worse.

I agree with your assessment of Weeden. OL must hate him as he run himself into getting sacked.

Cassel can be worse. But we don't know that yet.

erod

Reaction score
The offense was good enough to win against the Saints and maybe even against the Falcons. It just wasn't good enough to dominate the time of possession and cover up for the defense.

The defense has been the biggest issue in the 2 losses.

Hopefully getting Hardy and RoMc back will cure some of their problems. I would also really help if Lee could play a complete game. When the LBs on a critical drive are Keith Smith and the rookie Wilson, you're probably going to have problems which is exactly what happened.

Way too many three-and-out series. That makes a defense feel like it needs to play "perfect" football, which is a bad way to play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way too many three-and-out series. That makes a defense feel like it needs to play "perfect" football, which is a bad way to play.

The time of possession was about even in the Saints game. Generally, when a team is playing their backup QB, the defense has to step up and help carry the team if they are going to win.

Obviously, the defense has a valid excuse of injuries, but nonetheless they have not played well.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Weeden has played fine as a backup this year.

He actually has a higher QB Rating than Romo (108.8 vs. 98.8) and a higher YPA (9.3 vs. 7.2). And Weeden is playing without Dez.

Maybe Cassel is better, but I have my doubts.

I think where this team screwed up is by giving Murray so many carries last year. If he had 320 carries, it would still be a lot of carries (20 per game) and he would not have broken as many records and possibly have driven down his price tag. And I would be more optimistic that he wasn't going to break down.

I think McFadden should start. He has more home run ability and hits the hole harder. He's just too hit or miss, but I'll take him over Randle. And hopefully we can work Michael into the fold, soon. It's too bad about Dunbar.

YR

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see a report that the Buffalo Bills are working out Trent Richardson today.

I wish we would at least take a look.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, I wish I understood the fascination with playing Matt Cassel after two weeks with the club. That's just a phenomenally stupid thing to consider when you're getting ball control and some production out of your backup QB, as it is. I don't get that line of thinking at all.

Making a change at RB, however, I get. Though I'd install Michael over Randle and keep McFadden as the third down back. I'm just not ever comfortable with RBs who don't take good care of the football. Randle had fumble questions to start with, and his goal line stupidity just cements it for me. If he's not careful, he needs to sit. This was my big knock on Demarco, too, and I just think it's good policy to make it clear to your backs that if they turn the ball over, they cannot play in your lineup.

I want to see Weeden get a little more leash this week. More empty sets, more shotgun, and see if he can keep from throwing the stupid passes like he did in ATL. If he can, then all we really need to do is address the defense and hope we can bring this OL together as a unit over the next three weeks to get ready for that winnable back-half of this Romo-less nightmare we're all enjoying so much.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Weeden has played fine as a backup this year.

He actually has a higher QB Rating than Romo (108.8 vs. 98.8) and a higher YPA (9.3 vs. 7.2). And Weeden is playing without Dez.

Maybe Cassel is better, but I have my doubts.

I think where this team screwed up is by giving Murray so many carries last year. If he had 320 carries, it would still be a lot of carries (20 per game) and he would not have broken as many records and possibly have driven down his price tag. And I would be more optimistic that he wasn't going to break down.

I think McFadden should start. He has more home run ability and hits the hole harder. He's just too hit or miss, but I'll take him over Randle. And hopefully we can work Michael into the fold, soon. It's too bad about Dunbar.

YR

this is the perfect example of why stats lie sometimes.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Man, I wish I understood the fascination with playing Matt Cassel after two weeks with the club. That's just a phenomenally stupid thing to consider when you're getting ball control and some production out of your backup QB, as it is. I don't get that line of thinking at all.

Making a change at RB, however, I get. Though I'd install Michael over Randle and keep McFadden as the third down back. I'm just not ever comfortable with RBs who don't take good care of the football. Randle had fumble questions to start with, and his goal line stupidity just cements it for me. If he's not careful, he needs to sit. This was my big knock on Demarco, too, and I just think it's good policy to make it clear to your backs that if they turn the ball over, they cannot play in your lineup.

I want to see Weeden get a little more leash this week. More empty sets, more shotgun, and see if he can keep from throwing the stupid passes like he did in ATL. If he can, then all we really need to do is address the defense and hope we can bring this OL together as a unit over the next three weeks to get ready for that winnable back-half of this Romo-less nightmare we're all enjoying so much.

You are dreaming if you think there is anything more to Weedon then what we have seen so far. That is all there is and it is not enough. We are LOSING with him. Might as well take a chance on Cassel.

remdak

Reaction score

Yep, now the Defense knows what the Offense has felt like the last few years.