Baldinger's NFC East Report: First part is Dallas and Philly, also, is CD the best 88?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Then why pay him? Trade him for 2 more.
My fault, I wasn't clear with my post. Lamb is elite and deserves what he will get. But I was thinking what Michael Irvin could have done in a modern day offense. His numbers would have been astronomical.

Chasing6

Reaction score
My fault, I wasn't clear with my post. Lamb is elite and deserves what he will get. But I was thinking what Michael Irvin could have done in a modern day offense. His numbers would have been astronomical.
If they did not have Emmit running then all 30 times a game, he would have had 3-5 more targets per game.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
88 all time? come on Baldy you can do better than that.CD is bot even close yet

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don’t think cd is better than dez, at least not in the red zone, let alone Irvin
I liked Michael's positive energy. Don't recall him being negative, other than when he demanded needing Emmit back from holding out.

But he was 100% correct.

Havic

Reaction score
I liked Michael's positive energy. Don't recall him being negative, other than when he demanded needing Emmit back from holding out.

But he was 100% correct.

Cd was a baby in that gb game, no way you catch Michael acting like that

Rayman70

Reaction score

Baldinger started his breakdown of the NFL upcoming season with the NFC East and the Cowboys and Eagles.

He also makes the statement that with no disrespect, Cee Dee is the best to ever wear #88 in Dallas.

Without first watching the video, he's right about Ceedee. But with 1 caveat. The other 2 main 88's being Dez and the original 88 Drew, played big in big games in the post season. He hasn't YET done that. He's on the right trajectory.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Without first watching the video, he's right about Ceedee. But with 1 caveat. The other 2 main 88's being Dez and the original 88 Drew, played big in big games in the post season. He hasn't YET done that. He's on the right trajectory.
So Barry Sanders should not be a top 10 RB because his lack of playoff success?

Rayman70

Reaction score
So Barry Sanders should not be a top 10 RB because his lack of playoff success?
He's a rare exception and the issue is 88, not running back. Pertaining to what Baldy said only, he makes a point. Ceedee is the best but still needs to help do more in big games. DeMarco Murray was one of the best cowboys to run the rock for us, and its a shame he never won a ring. He did play big.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He's a rare exception and the issue is 88, not running back. Pertaining to what Baldy said only, he makes a point. Ceedee is the best but still needs to help do more in big games. DeMarco Murray was one of the best cowboys to run the rock for us, and its a shame he never won a ring. He did play big.
Might point is playoff success is not tied to an individual.

I would have Bo Jackson in my top 5 RB's.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Here's more on that theory - Irvin lead the league in 1991 with over 1500 receiving yards. He did this while Emmitt Smith lead the league with over 1500 rushing yards. Also, a guy named Jerry Rice was in his prime with SF, and who didn't have a GOAT RB taking up a lot of the offensive plays.

Is there any other WR RB duo to both lead the league with over 1500 yards each the same year?

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Much easier to be a stud WR with a Emmit Smith run game and Alvin Harper on the other side of the field.
lol.. so this time we will leave Aikman alone and have a lil poke at Ivin.

What is it about the 90's teams that seem to be so over-rated to you?

Chasing6

Reaction score
lol.. so this time we will leave Aikman alone and have a lil poke at Ivin.

What is it about the 90's teams that seem to be so over-rated to you?
Not overrated at all. I think the best team ever assembled. Complimentary football makes everyone's job significantly easier.

Team was so good it created a conundrum that will always be debated.

Was Emmit so good because of his OLine? Was the OLine so good because Emmit's vision.

Was Troy's job easy because of Emmit, Michael, Alvin, Novacek and the OLine.

Was our WR's and TE so good because of Troy.

Was our defense so good because our offense dominated the time of possession.

You can go on and on. This is what complimentary football looks like at its finest.

We could beat teams in 10 different ways.

You want to comitt to stoping Emmit or Michael or whomever, go ahead, good luck with that.

Defense was pretty much the same way. We could stop the run, we had a pass rush and we had a secondary.

You would have to argue to find the weakest link on this team.

Best part was they were not selfish - credit to Jimmy Johnson. Everyone in the building new who ran the team.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Not overrated at all. I think the best team ever assembled. Complimentary football makes everyone's job significantly easier.

Team was so good it created a conundrum that will always be debated.

Was Emmit so good because of his OLine? Was the OLine so good because Emmit's vision.

Was Troy's job easy because of Emmit, Michael, Alvin, Novacek and the OLine.

Was our WR's and TE so good because of Troy.

Was our defense so good because our offense dominated the time of possession.

You can go on and on. This is what complimentary football looks like at its finest.

We could beat teams in 10 different ways.

You want to comitt to stoping Emmit or Michael or whomever, go ahead, good luck with that.

Defense was pretty much the same way. We could stop the run, we had a pass rush and we had a secondary.

You would have to argue to find the weakest link on this team.

Best part was they were not selfish - credit to Jimmy Johnson. Everyone in the building new who ran the team.
Agree somewhat..

but every great player was "great", not just because their team was awesome.

The triplets were HOFers because they were sensational players.. not just because they played for a great team.

Was just reading another thread where you had yet another dig at Aikman.. did he kick your dog?.. why do you need to put him down to make your point?

kskboys

Reaction score
he's top 10 cowboys wr all time for me. he's not yet on irvin, pearson level but he's on the TO, Dez, level imo. maybe i'm blanking on others which is why he isn't in your top 10.....
Not in order:

Bob Hayes
Tony Hill
Frank Clarke
Lance Retzel
Drew Pearson

Irvin
Dez
Austin
Golden Richards

Here's where CD enters the convo. Now, mind you, he'll pass up some of these if he keeps on, but it's just too soon at this point. And I'm not counting mercs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agree somewhat..

but every great player was "great", not just because their team was awesome.

The triplets were HOFers because they were sensational players.. not just because they played for a great team.

Was just reading another thread where you had yet another dig at Aikman.. did he kick your dog?.. why do you need to put him down to make your point?
Go back and look at the 93 depth chart and you tell me which player was not good.

We had 8 Pro Bowlers on offense that year.

Alvin Harper, Mark Tueni, Kevin Gogan did not make it.

We had 8 in 94 on offense Harper, Larry Allen and Kenard did not make it.

It was a cake walk on offense.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Go back and look at the 93 depth chart and you tell me which player was not good.

We had 8 Pro Bowlers on offense that year.

Alvin Harper, Mark Tueni, Kevin Gogan did not make it.

We had 8 in 94 on offense Harper, Larry Allen and Kenard did not make it.

It was a cake walk on offense.
I'm not disagreeing that the 90's teams were great.. I'm just asking why the need to put Aikman down.

Troy wasn't just a great player because he played on some great teams.. he was one of the best clutch QB's in NFL history.

He played in an era when you could damn near kill a QB,, WR's going over the middle knew they could get absolutely smashed.

You can't just trot out his stats and compare with today's QB's.. very different times.

anyway.. we shall agree to disagree.. I will never get why you need to put "legends" down to make a point.