Baldinger's NFC East Report: First part is Dallas and Philly, also, is CD the best 88?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing that the 90's teams were great.. I'm just asking why the need to put Aikman down.

Troy wasn't just a great player because he played on some great teams.. he was one of the best clutch QB's in NFL history.

He played in an era when you could damn near kill a QB,, WR's going over the middle knew they could get absolutely smashed.

You can't just trot out his stats and compare with today's QB's.. very different times.

anyway.. we shall agree to disagree.. I will never get why you need to put "legends" down to make a point.
Never said he was not a great player. Only said he did not have to carry the team. The team only needed him to be bus driver a majority of the time.

He had the opportunity to carry the team when Emmit held out. They went 0-2 and Irvin started breaking things in the locker and demanded GM Jethro to sign Emmit.

Emmit carried the team.

Emmitt had 4,409 carries and 515 receptions.

Troy had 4,715 attempts and 2,898 completions.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
You have so.. you have said he wasn't a great QB.. he was a good QB.

You make smart-arse remarks like "Boy wonder" etc etc

Now it was easy for Irvin coz of the players around him.

I'm glad to see Emmitt is not on your **** list.. thats something I guess.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You have so.. you have said he wasn't a great QB.. he was a good QB.

You make smart-arse remarks like "Boy wonder" etc etc

Now it was easy for Irvin coz of the players around him.

I'm glad to see Emmitt is not on your **** list.. thats something I guess.
I did not make a list.

I have said he did not need to be a great QB. He term was too talented.

HanD

Reaction score
Not in order:

Bob Hayes
Tony Hill
Frank Clarke
Lance Retzel
Drew Pearson

Irvin
Dez
Austin
Golden Richards

Here's where CD enters the convo. Now, mind you, he'll pass up some of these if he keeps on, but it's just too soon at this point. And I'm not counting mercs.

I agree it's too soon to put him top 5 and I think you have an interesting list to discuss. he's already passed Austin in receiving yards in half the number of seasons and almost caught clarke.

If we are talking longevity golden Richards played the same number of years for Dallas as lamb has. I don't count him in my top 10 but that's just me.

If ceedee is here another 3 or so years at this pace I have no problems putting him in the top tier with Irvin dez Pearson Hayes and hill. Those are my current top 5. Cheers.

popp1234

Reaction score
CeeDee is not only not BETTER than Michael Irvin. He is not even as GOOD as Michael Irvin. Actually, it's not even close on both accounts.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree it's too soon to put him top 5 and I think you have an interesting list to discuss. he's already passed Austin in receiving yards in half the number of seasons and almost caught clarke.

If we are talking longevity golden Richards played the same number of years for Dallas as lamb has. I don't count him in my top 10 but that's just me.

If ceedee is here another 3 or so years at this pace I have no problems putting him in the top tier with Irvin dez Pearson Hayes and hill. Those are my current top 5. Cheers.
You cannot use volume receiving yds to compare.

Agree, 3 years of anything close to those stats, then the comparison becomes Irvin/Pearson.

HanD

Reaction score
You cannot use volume receiving yds to compare.

Agree, 3 years of anything close to those stats, then the comparison becomes Irvin/Pearson.
Receiving yards should count for something when we compare productivity. Although we could probably correct and equalize some for today's passing game vs history.

It's like saying emmitts total rushing yards doesn't mean anything. It isn't the end all measure but it is part of the equation imo.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Baldinger started his breakdown of the NFL upcoming season with the NFC East and the Cowboys and Eagles.

He also makes the statement that with no disrespect, Cee Dee is the best to ever wear #88 in Dallas.

Cee Dee is the best to ever wear #88 in Dallas :muttley: :muttley: :muttley: :muttley: :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Only real potential debate is on a single season.

Career is to early to say ever.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Never said he was not a great player. Only said he did not have to carry the team. The team only needed him to be bus driver a majority of the time.

He had the opportunity to carry the team when Emmit held out. They went 0-2 and Irvin started breaking things in the locker and demanded GM Jethro to sign Emmit.

Emmit carried the team.

Emmitt had 4,409 carries and 515 receptions.

Troy had 4,715 attempts and 2,898 completions.

Let that sink in for a minute.
anyone who doesn't know how that team won wasn't watching them..Troy was great, Troy wasn't asked to carry that team at all...now when he needed to he did some times then you know he failed some times...

Chasing6

Reaction score
anyone who doesn't know how that team won wasn't watching them..Troy was great, Troy wasn't asked to carry that team at all...now when he needed to he did some times then you know he failed some times...
It is not a knock on Troy. I am sure Troy could have had significantly better stats if he threw the ball 30+ times a game. We only needed him to through it 20 times most games.

That is why I have said Troy was the best bus driver of all time. Could he have been more than that, absolutely he could have, but we did not need him to be more.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It is not a knock on Troy. I am sure Troy could have had significantly better stats if he threw the ball 30+ times a game. We only needed him to through it 20 times most games.

That is why I have said Troy was the best bus driver of all time. Could he have been more than that, absolutely he could have, but we did not need him to be more.
True and in my opinion he had the best Arm out of any QB the Cowboys have had..Roger was the best QB but Troy had the best arm. I'm also in the loop of saying Danny was a better QB than both Tony and Dak..

Chasing6

Reaction score
True and in my opinion he had the best Arm out of any QB the Cowboys have had..Roger was the best QB but Troy had the best arm. I'm also in the loop of saying Danny was a better QB than both Tony and Dak..
I think he had amazing timing, especially with Michael. He is the last QB I have seen he could consistently throw the ball to a spot before the WR even made his cut.

That is very difficult to do today, because WR's to not run good routes and QB's can't trust them to be in the right spot at the right time.

QB's get the blame for picks, but a lot of them can be blamed on pressure and or bad routes.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think he had amazing timing, especially with Michael. He is the last QB I have seen he could consistently throw the ball to a spot before the WR even made his cut.
for sure every throw was the right spot...i laugh when people say now "Dak shouldn't have thrown that" or back when they said "Romo shouldn't have thrown that" well Troy threw it because the best #88 was gonna get it..never saw a DB out fight Irvin for the ball... never.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

That is very difficult to do today, because WR's to not run good routes and QB's can't trust them to be in the right spot at the right time.

QB's get the blame for picks, but a lot of them can be blamed on pressure and or bad routes.
Funny thing is there is no way those 70's teams were better..the 90's Cowboys lost because of interest not talent..those 70's teams were fighting for thier life against equal teams.

Big_D

Reaction score
Irvin was the best, to me..now i only watched Hayes on replays and yeah he was great but Irvin to me was the true "Throw me the ball i got you" WR.
Agreed. Irving used his size and strength and really had great hands. He wasn't gonna get manhandled at the line. That slant was a thing of beauty. And he faced some great corners at that time. He definitely made the plays when you needed them. Lamb is good, but he's not close.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agreed. Irving used his size and strength and really had great hands. He wasn't gonna get manhandled at the line. That slant was a thing of beauty. And he faced some great corners at that time. He definitely made the plays when you needed them. Lamb is good, but he's not close.
I think they are just different types of players. They are both better in different areas. Stats is not a fair comparison.

CD has way more targets than Irvin.