Twitter: Baldy and Sturm say Cowboys game plan differently w/Cooper vs Dak

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the fact that Rush is lining up under center a lot more except when the down and distance to go calls for it.

Lining up under center sells play action a lot more than just turning and faking a handoff to the running back standing beside you.

Ken

Reaction score
Lot of CYA going on here. Save that face, Sturm!

Rush checked out of several plays and got the ball out of his hand quickly to intermediate routes, not the check downs we see from Dak constantly.

Rush knows what he's doing.
Yet only averaged 6.9 YPA completion.

Go figure.

You do realize what you are saying and the facts don't match up, right?

Ken

Reaction score
Okay, so how do you stop Dak from audibling out of play calls?

Do you take it away or severely limit it? How do we know Rush isn't audibling to the right situation? How do we know Rush isn't just better at getting guys in the right positions and calling out the right guys?

There's more to it than just calling plays. It's not that simple.

Moore can call the play, but it's up to Dak to stick with it.
If Dak is audibling out of good looks then yes, he needs to be limited in what he is doing. I remember Romo was accused of doing this too...

I think these guys have a tendency to get greedy or they think they would rather the fate of the play be in their hands, which is great if that is the case with confidence. They also have to trust the playcall, even if it isn't perfect.

Ken

Reaction score
I want a high-priced QB. Just not one that's worth $20 million that we're committing $49 million to next season.
Good thing we are only paying Dak 20 mill this year then.

SJ already stated they will do something with that salary next year as it is "obvious" we will do something with it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The run game keeps us in great down and distance much easier to overcome. Only thing that killed drives last night were penalties where we end up stuck in 3rd and long. Rush was not converting 3rd and long, we moved the ball when were were able to manage down and distance.1st off I think if you plan on running it you can't continue to get penalties that put in you in 1st and 20. In 2014 Dallas ran the ball a lot and Romo had one of his best season, in 2016 Dallas ran the ball and helped a rookie QB lead his team to 13-3 season. Right now running the ball is what is allowing the Cowboys to stay in down and distance situation where they leave the option of run or pass open and keeps Rush out of these trying to covert. Last night Dallas was forced to punt Dallas was only 5 of 13 on 3rd down and many of those were long yardage due to penalties. Fortunately we have a defense that is capable of stopping the opposing teams so being forced to punt is not all that bad. However they need to do better about not committing these fouls.

CWR

Reaction score
Well, that's a good thing, keep it rolling then.

One more thing, Dak loves to audible out of run plays, it seems Rush sticks to the plan.

Show me more. That tweet appears to be after we played Tampa in 2021. We were going against a phenomenal run defense while Dak was simultaneously out playing Brady.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but FOR THAT GAME, it was understandable.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Okay, so how do you stop Dak from audibling out of play calls?

Do you take it away or severely limit it? How do we know Rush isn't audibling to the right situation? How do we know Rush isn't just better at getting guys in the right positions and calling out the right guys?

There's more to it than just calling plays. It's not that simple.

Moore can call the play, but it's up to Dak to stick with it.
Dak thinks he's Payton Manning and he's not. The best way to get him to stop him from changing the plays is to bench him.

CWR

Reaction score
The thing I like was that nothing looked forced. The only play where it looked like Dallas was forcing the issue was the CeeDee TD, but on 1st down with a favorable matchup it's hard to call that forced. Maybe it was just the tempo at which they jumped back to the line and went right after it.

The 3rd & 12 toss sweep to Zeke was a very interesting call, but it worked. I dunno how it worked, but KM saw something he liked and called the perfect play.

The offense looks a lot more in sync, and I really like the fact that Dallas didn't try to overuse the hurry up. They took what was there, and then peppered in some shots downfield that should have been big gainers if not for drops.

This might just be an instance where KM is keeping things as simple as can be, and as a result you don't get these wild hair moments where he's trying to do too much with his play calling.

Remember when KM said he viewed outside runs as more gimmick than anything else?

Maybe the coordinator in training is growing. He called a great game.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
The beginning of the 2020 and 2021 seasons fooled Moore into thinking Dak was Dan Marino. He looked great in those 5 or 6 game spells but he can’t maintain that over a full season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The game plan with Cooper Rush is way different. Last year at this time we scored 90 points after the first three games and so far we’ve only scored 46. Our offense currently ranks 23rd. That’s actually better than I expected.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Thank you, Baldy. Common sense prevails. Dak is not Payton Manning and should not be given the flexibility to run the offense from the LOS. Just run the dang play called and rely on your RBs to make 3rd down a wide open play selection down.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Cooper Rush is an UFA after this season and he is showing himself to be looked at as a starter for another team....one which Dallas can't afford to resign.
I’d be shocked if another team looks at Rush as a starter next year.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The beginning of the 2020 and 2021 seasons fooled Moore into thinking Dak was Dan Marino. He looked great in those 5 or 6 game spells but he can’t maintain that over a full season.

The injury was the difference.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Game plan worked because we were able to run the ball down their throat. If run game doesn't work, play action is useless

What you're describing are dirty runs.

These are runs that are not big gainers but are necessary to keep defenses honest.

The key is not giving up on run to become predictably one dimensional.