Twitter: Baldy and Sturm say Cowboys game plan differently w/Cooper vs Dak

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Its sustainable because the Defense has been shutting everyone down and the Oline is plowing lanes in the run game.

But at some point, we will need hero ball against the better teams.

When Dak gets back with this defense and this run game the team will be even more potent.

But Moore will have to commit to the run game.

HanD

Reaction score
Cooper Rush is an UFA after this season and he is showing himself to be looked at as a starter for another team....one which Dallas can't afford to resign.

i doubt he's looked at as a starter elsewhere but i really hope so. that would mean a 3rd round compensatory pick for dallas.

Beaker42

Reaction score
The Rush game plan makes more sense given the strengths and weaknesses of this team, and should remain the plan with either QB.

Stop trying to Air Raid teams with Dak and play to your strengths - runs, quick passes, and the occasional play action down the field.
I knew it was that Chiclets-toothed Bronco’s fault. WTH hasn’t someone forced him on the carpet about this before now????

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I like the fact that Rush is lining up under center a lot more except when the down and distance to go calls for it.

Lining up under center sells play action a lot more than just turning and faking a handoff to the running back standing beside you.

This is an important key… Rush is a lot more natural taking snaps under center and dropping back.

He is also not checking out of so many runs. Dak wants to put it on his shoulders and win with his arm— but Coop seems more willing to let the ground game be featured and take a few big shots off of it.

Dak seems more comfortable operating out of the shotgun— but this tends to telegraph tendencies and gives the D an edge. How many times do we have to hear opposing defensive players talk about how predictable our offense is before they change things up?

Coop’s displaying some patience and execution within the scheme that is showing the flaws with Dak and Kellen’s approach. Hopefully Dak scales it back and learns some lessons watching Coop

Beaker42

Reaction score
Its sustainable because the Defense has been shutting everyone down and the Oline is plowing lanes in the run game.

But at some point, we will need hero ball against the better teams.

When Dak gets back with this defense and this run game the team will be even more potent.

But Moore will have to commit to the run game.
NOTHING should change when Dak gets back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak thinks he's Payton Manning and he's not. The best way to get him to stop him from changing the plays is to bench him.

What evidence do you have that Dak is the one changing plays and not sticking with the run?

Other than your troll intuition that has been largely dead wrong on Dak from day #1?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thank you, Baldy. Common sense prevails. Dak is not Payton Manning and should not be given the flexibility to run the offense from the LOS. Just run the dang play called and rely on your RBs to make 3rd down a wide open play selection down.

Most QB have a play to check out of a bad play coming in based on alignment by the defense, even Cooper checked out of plays last night, more than once did he get to the line and yelled kill.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Lot of CYA going on here. Save that face, Sturm!

Rush checked out of several plays and got the ball out of his hand quickly to intermediate routes, not the check downs we see from Dak constantly.

Rush knows what he's doing.

You check out of plays but you still audible within the current offensive formation and what’s given in the gameplan. You’re not reinventing the wheel with an audible. The check downs can still be locked down, which I’m certain they are for Rush. He’s not playing with Kelmo’s full menu at his fingertips. There is something to be said about possibly reeling Dak in on what he can & cannot audible into.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Most QB have a play to check out of a bad play coming in based on alignment by the defense, even Cooper checked out of plays last night, more than once did he get to the line and yelled kill.
That is reasonable, necessary even, but it seems Dak has way too much latitude to run the offense from the LOS. Payton Manning he ain't.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is reasonable, necessary even, but it seems Dak has way too much latitude to run the offense from the LOS. Payton Manning he ain't.

Never said he was manning, but there are set check down plays where if the QB does not get them out of a certain play based on what defense is doing is asking for trouble.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Never said he was manning, but there are set check down plays where if the QB does not get them out of a certain play based on what defense is doing is asking for trouble.
Yes, I get that, but Dak takes it to another level and I would bet defenses can bait him into making changes with false fronts and make good predictions on what he checks into to.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I have been saying this since training camp — they should be play actioning the $#@! out of Dak. Just like they did in his early years. It doesn’t have to be just for bus drivers. I don’t know why they don’t. And the rollouts, well Dak can actually take those for a first down, not Cooper. Through all these coaches, RBs, offensive linemen and receivers, there are only 2 constants: Kellen Moore and Dak. I think Kellen is more responsible for our offensive woes than anyone. Not a Dak fanboy, I’ve just never really liked Moore’s strategy, tendencies, etc. Even the Super Bowl winning ‘wonder boy’ in LA had to have a hard talk with himself that Goff wasn’t the guy who could make his offense work the way it needed. Either force the player change, or adapt your style. Something is not connecting. And what’s sad is it did connect the first half of last year but neither one has found it again.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, I get that, but Dak takes it to another level and I would bet defenses can bait him into making changes with false fronts and make good predictions on what he checks into to.

As I said the secondary play the check down is a pre determined play, that is why everyone on offense know where the play goes based the QB calling out kill. Can defense show false fronts? you bet and that is part of the overall chess match being played out there. I don't excuse Dak for poor play but I also know this team wins with him out there they are 42 and 27 with him at the helm.

Dre11

Reaction score
Cooper Rush is an UFA after this season and he is showing himself to be looked at as a starter for another team....one which Dallas can't afford to resign.

lol Stephen has already said today, Coop aint going nowhere

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush ALLOWS KM to open up the playbook. He forces teams to defend the WHOLE FIELD. He's accurate, has the arm and release to get the job done.
The other guy does not.
I am sorry
For all of us

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

He won't be starting for another team. He will be a dependable backup though for the foreseeable future.

He's good because he can run timing plays which fit into Kellen Moore type of offense.