Twitter: Baldy Breaks Down Sam Williams

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Going to need more help vs run than just Ridgeway imo.

Both LVE and Cox are not great vs run either.

Hopefully Bohannon takes the next step and Armstrong can set the edge at DE. Man— we need some players willing to do the dirty work necessary to win.

Run defense is all about “want to” and imposing your will, sacrificing your body, and choosing to hold the point of attack.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I personally don't need Baldy's breakdown on my favorite pick in 2022. Sam has explosiveness plus he's among the best in the SEC. He has the speed to blow by tackles & it helps him get a step ahead when lined up inside. Sam also tested well, running the second-fastest 40-time at the combine & it shows on tape.

nathanlt

Reaction score

And he did mention Micah Parsons after all, without comparing the two directly. Pass rush is going to be strong, turnover ratio is going to be strong again. It's too pie in the sky to say that it will be better, but I think it's reasonable to think this years defense will be in the ballpark of last years defense. Good stuff!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
yet they dont do anything more than other teams do.,.you think trey lance was worth 3 first rounder to trade up and take him to sit a year or more how the the trade up to get Love ? or that OL NE is being mocked for taking.it happens all over the league

you have no point unless you stop saying the Cowboys and instead say the NFL..

We disagree that the Cowboys don't take more chances. That is exactly my point. I don't care what the rest of the league does. I only care about what the Cowboys do. When they pass over players who have played at the highest level of college football & at worst seem to have an NFL floor for a complete "gamble" it's not good risk management.
Sure, everyone does (& should) take a few shots when they feel strongly. However, taking a flyer on a position like QB (your example) isn't the same as taking flyers on other positions. A solid LB can play for years even if he's never "great" while the project LB that didn't make the team or never earned a game day roster spot is a failure that keeps your team behind the proverbial 8 ball.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Hopefully Bohannon takes the next step and Armstrong can set the edge at DE. Man— we need some players willing to do the dirty work necessary to win.

Run defense is all about “want to” and imposing your will, sacrificing your body, and choosing to hold the point of attack.
Don’t forget about Chauncey Golston. I have a feeling the plan is for Golston to be the base down end at RE

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Dont forget we are picking 24th in each round. Not easy picking there.

Definitely not.

People are going to criticize anything you do at that point, too.

I personally don't need Baldy's breakdown on my favorite pick in 2022. Sam has explosiveness plus he's among the best in the SEC. He has the speed to blow by tackles & it helps him get a step ahead when lined up inside. Sam also tested well, running the second-fastest 40-time at the combine & it shows on tape.

He didn't have the fastest 40 at the combine.

The fastest defensive end was Amare Barno, from Virginia Tech, who ran a 4.3.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
True.

Barno timed faster.

But Williams 4.46 40 was ridiculous for a guy 260+.

He is plenty fast, faster than any EDGE drafted in 1st round.

Definitely not.

People are going to criticize anything you do at that point, too.

He didn't have the fastest 40 at the combine.

The fastest defensive end was Amare Barno, from Virginia Tech, who ran a 4.3.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
And he did mention Micah Parsons after all, without comparing the two directly. Pass rush is going to be strong, turnover ratio is going to be strong again. It's too pie in the sky to say that it will be better, but I think it's reasonable to think this years defense will be in the ballpark of last years defense. Good stuff!

We'll break the top 10 defenses this year now that some of the younger guys have gotten some valuable experience.

True.

Barno timed faster.

But Williams 4.46 40 was ridiculous for a guy 260+.

He is plenty fast, faster than any EDGE drafted in 1st round.

Yes, sir, it comes down to how the players play on the field, because in terms of defensive edge rushers, we're splitting hairs when we talk about 4.4 vs. 4.3.

Just give me the better player. I think we got that with Sam Williams, but I can see Barno developing into a nice player in a couple years.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I wanted Barno too.

But I would have played him at LB first.

The kid is still learning the EDGE position.

We'll break the top 10 defenses this year now that some of the younger guys have gotten some valuable experience.

Yes, sir, it comes down to how the players play on the field, because in terms of defensive edge rushers, we're splitting hairs when we talk about 4.4 vs. 4.3.

Just give me the better player. I think we got that with Sam Williams, but I can see Barno developing into a nice player in a couple years.