Twitter: Baldy's breakdowns: "Who plays defense like this?"

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Quinn has never fully sold me on him as future head coach. This is why. We will go nowhere with this run defence…
I will never forget that unreal collapse in the Super Bowl against the Pats. Never saw team play so good one half and completely fall apart like that in the second. He always seemed like one of those guys that best at staying a coordinator not a head coach

ondaedg

Reaction score
Funny how one game has soured everyone on Quinn. I never trusted him because his record at Atlanta told us a lot about who he really is.

As for Baldy's Breakdown, I would have to see the down and distance before criticizing the decision to stunt the linemen. On the first play it looks like Lawrence was supposed to loop around from the LDE and get into the hole He somehow got cut off and never got there. But the Cowboys might have been anticipating a pass. I thought the packers did a great job of running in passing situations which sets up play action. Or maybe they saw Cowboys tendencies to stunt on passing downs and thought they could take advantage of it. The one thing I don't understand about this play was Bohanna and Hankins were at DT. Why put two beefy guys inside then send them on stunts? Let them clog the middle and keep the LBs clean. If you want to stunt put Odighizuwa and Watkins in there.

But on a play like that the DTs get the blame. People will say the Packers gashed us on the inside runs.

Selling out to get sacks is fine, if you get the sacks and turnovers. If you don't this is what happens. So yes, other teams will try the same things. Parsons has less impact on the game as an off ball LB than he does as a pass rusher so by mixing things up they negate some of Parsons best abilities. It looked to me like the Cowboys were afraid to send 5 guys against Rodgers. I think it really hurt than, especially on that 4th and 7 TD pass. I think you have to challenge Rodgers because he is going to beat you if he sits back in the pocket just as much as he beats you if you blitz and he sees it.

The down and distance on the Aaron Jones td from our 12yd line was 2nd and five. 98 stunts to the outside allowing Jones to get to the 2nd level untouched with a blocker in front to pick off Parsons.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will never forget that unreal collapse in the Super Bowl against the Pats. Never saw team play so good one half and completely fall apart like that in the second. He always seemed like one of those guys that best at staying a coordinator not a head coach

Some of the genius of belechek is his willingness to scrap a game plan and change course mid-game. His in-game adjustments are legendary as we saw in that super bowl.

But, there are coaches like Jason garret who "trust their preparation" and will fall on their own sword and lose rather than acknowledging failure during a game and changing course. Some coaches just aren't smart enough to figure out what to do mid-game without tape study and lots of assistant coaching input. I don't know where Quinn falls but he seems to refuse to adapt to the current problem with the defense. It will be interesting to see how many rushing yards MN gets on us.

shabazz

Reaction score
Lots of complaints about the LBs, but the real issue is the defensive line. They don't absorb blocks, and the scheme seems more about getting after the QB.

If what you're doing allows running lanes, you're not getting after the QB. Not when it's 3rd and 2, time and again. They're just going to run the football. Again.

I started a rare thread from me that begged the question of how to fix the run defense. This video spell out some of the answer. How many people are aware that the Aden Durde is the defensive line coach?

He has exactly 2 years of defensive line coach experience and was a tag along from ATL from Quinn. He was born and lived in England and his prior experience was in Europe with the NFLUK. He came here as part of the NFL Diversity Coaching program. His bio has more details

Does he belong in this position? Is he getting results or are we stuck with yet another NFL experiment not based on merit, but on other factors. We’ve looked at players, scheme, and Quinn……maybe the defensive line coach who’s getting gouged at an NFL record level needs to be looked at.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Buddy recreated the 46D with the eagles. He was the DC for the Bears first.
He created that because of the talent just as Belichick created that D in NY because of Taylor and freely admits that.

My point is Ryan was unable to replicate that with other talent, same with Lewis and Kiffin and it's the same with Landry. He had to have the talent to run the Flex and we saw the results when he didn't have that.

Quinn is a slave to the talent level he has and this past week we saw what happens when he has to use his best player to try and stop the run. Parsons was chasing plays all day. The team lacks the triangle, DT-MLB-DT, to stop the run up the gut and is even more susceptible to perimeter runs because they've put Parsons into defend mode, not attack.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He created that because of the talent just as Belichick created that D in NY because of Taylor and freely admits that.

My point is Ryan was unable to replicate that with other talent, same with Lewis and Kiffin and it's the same with Landry. He had to have the talent to run the Flex and we saw the results when he didn't have that.

Quinn is a slave to the talent level he has and this past week we saw what happens when he has to use his best player to try and stop the run. Parsons was chasing plays all day. The team lacks the triangle, DT-MLB-DT, to stop the run up the gut and is even more susceptible to perimeter runs because they've put Parsons into defend mode, not attack.

What frustrates me is we've been talking about the DT position for several years, that weakness gets exploited at some point every season, and the attempts to address it are usually mid-round picks or a guy like Trysten Hill. What does it take to make it a priority, where you go after a Vita Vea or Jordan Davis type move?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bring back JG too. Get the whole never won anything band back. Good times.

Hate to break it to you genius, but Wade's defense has won a ring.

And his defense has taken teams to THREE superbowls.

There used be knowledgeable fans on CZ.

Cmac

Reaction score
Baldy should have saved time & effort like some on this board.......blame Dak.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I started a rare thread from me that begged the question of how to fix the run defense. This video spell out some of the answer. How many people are aware that the Aden Durde is the defensive line coach?

He has exactly 2 years of defensive line coach experience and was a tag along from ATL from Quinn. He was born and lived in England and his prior experience was in Europe with the NFLUK. He came here as part of the NFL Diversity Coaching program. His bio has more details

Does he belong in this position? Is he getting results or are we stuck with yet another NFL experiment not based on merit, but on other factors. We’ve looked at players, scheme, and Quinn……maybe the defensive line coach who’s getting gouged at an NFL record level needs to be looked at.

I hear you, and Durde should be looked at— but you’d think Quinn with his background as a DL guru would intervene and make sure any limitations are accounted for.

IMO— the run D is scheme and player related. Scheme has already been discussed and highlighted in the video. I won’t belabor the points about the ineffectiveness of the DL

When it comes to personnel and the grit needed to impose your will— we have some issues. Players are simply free lancing too much, playing undisciplined “hero” ball, and we have some guys— who quite frankly— are simply FAR too soft when it comes to defending the run: LVE and Diggs are the biggest culprits IMO.

Hopefully Barr and Clark can help at LBer and Hankins gets more effective the more he gets familiar with the team. We have a long ways to go.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I hear you, and Durde should be looked at— but you’d think Quinn with his background as a DL guru would intervene and make sure any limitations are accounted for.

IMO— the run D is scheme and player related. Scheme has already been discussed and highlighted in the video. I won’t belabor the points about the ineffectiveness of the DL

When it comes to personnel and the grit needed to impose your will— we have some issues. Players are simply free lancing too much, playing undisciplined “hero” ball, and we have some guys— who quite frankly— are simply FAR too soft when it comes to defending the run: LVE and Diggs are the biggest culprits IMO.

Hopefully Barr and Clark can help at LBer and Hankins gets more effective the more he gets familiar with the team. We have a long ways to go.

Ya some big runs have occurred right where DTs have stunted out of their gaps leaving the “gorge” Baldy is talking about. It has happened in every game including the opener against the Bucs allowing Fournette’s two longest runs. On that TD run by Jones it was 2nd and 5 from the 12 and Quinn stunts the DT to the outside. That is a Quinn problem there because 2nd and 5 is definitely not a passing down.

Strol

Reaction score
"Let's make Dan Quinn the head coach." Yeah, no. I'm not impressed. Sack totals don't mean much when teams can just run it down your throat.

Show us the answer, Dan Quinn. We're waiting.
If Parsosns wasnt on the team Dallas would have a bottom 5 D. Therefore... Quinn adds zero value.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If Parsosns wasnt on the team Dallas would have a bottom 5 D. Therefore... Quinn adds zero value.

Parsons hasn’t done much the last couple of weeks. I think he is hurt and fatigued from going up against OTs over and over again.

Teams are targeting him in the run game as well— since the Philly game— and while he is decent, he has not been dominant vs the run either.

The priorities of the D have to shift. They have been built around disrupting the passer— but have in essence robbed Peter to pay Paul. Time to go back to the fundamentals and grab the lunch pail and roll up their sleeves.

I hope they show us something on Sunday

ondaedg

Reaction score

He should get credit for utilizing Parsons. A lot of teams waste defensive talent. The Browns are a perfect example. Would the 49ers’ D be great without Bosa?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What frustrates me is we've been talking about the DT position for several years, that weakness gets exploited at some point every season, and the attempts to address it are usually mid-round picks or a guy like Trysten Hill. What does it take to make it a priority, where you go after a Vita Vea or Jordan Davis type move?

And this is true BUT, every team has positions that are less talented than other they have to deal with...not every team is strong at DT, I dont think we have the worst DT rotation but for sure DQ needs to re scheme what teams are trying to do to his defense....Would I love to have a stud DT, hell yes, but Defenses have won without having one and not been gauged by the run against every team.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Titans were able to stop the Packers offense and so were the Lions. Dallas is just easy pickings. Everyone knows they cannot adjust, and once you adjust to what they are doing they panic and continue doing the same thing, but with turnovers.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
It's a small sample size, but this looks more like scheme than personnel. "Who cares how many sacks you have" when teams can do this to you?

Good question. Dallas better find some answers, and soon.

I think it's evident that the narrative to DQ is we have to generate sacks, pressures and turnover in a pass happy league and DQ sold out for it....at the same time that the league said let's focus on the run if everyone defense is trying to defend the pass. DQ needs to adjust and play disciplined maintain gaps football

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lots of complaints about the LBs, but the real issue is the defensive line. They don't absorb blocks, and the scheme seems more about getting after the QB.

If what you're doing allows running lanes, you're not getting after the QB. Not when it's 3rd and 2, time and again. They're just going to run the football. Again.

Its both the DT's and the linebackers.

Why dont we try 5 down lineman on first down like GB was doing against us?