Twitter: Baldy's breakdowns: "Who plays defense like this?"

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It's a small sample size, but this looks more like scheme than personnel. "Who cares how many sacks you have" when teams can do this to you?

Good question. Dallas better find some answers, and soon.

To me that is all personal.

Our DEs are not good. Fowler repeatedly doesnt play the stunt (see for instance first play from Baldy)
Our DT arent the problem. The problem is that nobody makes the tackle (DEs and LBs!) when both DTs are double teamed. Hello DFLaw ?!

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Looks like a scheme issue there and a bad play by the DT. The DE is way outside with the DT & LB both playing inside. If the Cowboys were trying to bait the Pack into running to that side they got what they wanted. But why send your tackle that far outside? It left Parsons on an island to cover a hole the size of a Mack truck. The DT got pushed way too far out. Bad angle, blocked by the OL, his movement left a gaping hole. DT screwed that one up.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Bring in Wade Phillips as consultant.

He can generate sacks/pressure without giving up 200 yards on ground.

And for Pete's sake, sign Ndamukong Suh already.
You want Suh? Don’t we all. Anddddd They signed takk instead :facepalm:

Reactions: BAT

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
It reminds me of the wide-9 defense the Eagles tried to run years ago with Jim Washburn and Jim Schwartz. You're just inviting offenses to run the ball on you.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny how one game has soured everyone on Quinn. I never trusted him because his record at Atlanta told us a lot about who he really is.

As for Baldy's Breakdown, I would have to see the down and distance before criticizing the decision to stunt the linemen. On the first play it looks like Lawrence was supposed to loop around from the LDE and get into the hole He somehow got cut off and never got there. But the Cowboys might have been anticipating a pass. I thought the packers did a great job of running in passing situations which sets up play action. Or maybe they saw Cowboys tendencies to stunt on passing downs and thought they could take advantage of it. The one thing I don't understand about this play was Bohanna and Hankins were at DT. Why put two beefy guys inside then send them on stunts? Let them clog the middle and keep the LBs clean. If you want to stunt put Odighizuwa and Watkins in there.

But on a play like that the DTs get the blame. People will say the Packers gashed us on the inside runs.

Selling out to get sacks is fine, if you get the sacks and turnovers. If you don't this is what happens. So yes, other teams will try the same things. Parsons has less impact on the game as an off ball LB than he does as a pass rusher so by mixing things up they negate some of Parsons best abilities. It looked to me like the Cowboys were afraid to send 5 guys against Rodgers. I think it really hurt than, especially on that 4th and 7 TD pass. I think you have to challenge Rodgers because he is going to beat you if he sits back in the pocket just as much as he beats you if you blitz and he sees it.
I am not soured on Quinn in any way, he's just like every other coach, the talent is the control factor. They are a slave to the talent.

Buddy Ryan was never able to recreate the 46 D that made him famous, Marvin Lewis never able to even come close the Ravens 00 and Monte Kiffin couldn't duplicate that Tampa 2.

Jim Johnson and Dick LeBeau made their names because their GM's were focused on keeping the talent coming.

The Cowboys have an exceptional LB/DE, a couple of good DE's, a very good CB and good S. What else they got?

If the CB's had been there, they would not even have Parsons and how would they look without him?

There is also another issue here about Parsons, what other player on that D matches his heart? What other player hates to lose as much as he does?

The challenge with heart is that one man with heart will soon have his damaged by those with little heart before he can help them grow one. Especially on the Dallas Cowboys where losing is acceptable because the owner has already won.

Nexx

Reaction score
Another issue is that we have a bunch of 3/4 linebackers playing DE in a 4/3 defense

links18

Reaction score
It's only a few plays, but when you see them it's not hard to grasp why what Dallas did wasn't working.

What the heck is Armstrong doing on that play? Is that "Hero ball"?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
That first play made zero sense. Makes you wonder about rigging games because you don’t have defensive tackles intentionally create holes for the other team to run through by actually moving away from their position also taking away their own player I’m the princess. It’s not even a stunt. It’s just running away from the play. Only thing that makes any sense is if the right LB is supposed to go behind the tackle and plug the hole but even that doesn’t really.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Lol, last I checked the Rams won the SB last season while Suh was in Tampa showing anyone paying attention that Father Time had passed him by at a good clip. But hey, your whole premise has pretty much been nonsense and gibberish!
Lol you must be an ......to conversate with someone that's speaking nonsense and gibberish.
:lmao:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Dan Quinn needs to come up with a scheme and game plan which focuses on stopping the run rest and then can switch over to pressuring the QB if the Cowboys have a lead and/or if the Cowboys defense has successfully shut down the run. Teams now are going to focus on running against the Cowboys, until Dan Quinn proves he can come up with a scheme to stop it.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Fowler was supposed to stunt inside on that first play is all you can think, that's pathetic
Fowler was supposed to stunt inside on that first play is all you can think, that's pathetic

That's exactly what I was thinking I believe these DE's are freelancing and thinking I'm going to beat them to the play meanwhile causing serious confusion. I personally would not put them back on the field until they start playing their assignments like they're called. This is getting a bit ridiculous. I don't understand why our LB's don't read step then shoot the gaps like Sean Lee use to it's easy to get swept up in the wash standing still looking for the ball.

Cmac

Reaction score
"Let's make Dan Quinn the head coach." Yeah, no. I'm not impressed. Sack totals don't mean much when teams can just run it down your throat.

Show us the answer, Dan Quinn. We're waiting.
Don't worry about HC.....that's going to be the other coordinator.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. The difference is Dan Quinn likes to have 5 DBs in the secondary, with 1 playing a hybrid/rover type. If Cowboys go 3-4, they will be limited to mostly a standard 4 DBs and outside LBs who have to both rush from the edge, contain the edge and try to cover the pass when necessary.

I still feel the 4-3 D is the best way to go, but clearly, Dan Quinn prefers a 4-2-5 than a normal 4-3-4. When he stunts our D-line as horribly against the run the way he does, it totally opens up huge gorges in between the Tackles and causes our 2 LBs to get blocked out of the way.
Modern era defenses rarely play 4-3 vs 3.WR sets.

Nickel is the "base" defense for all teams.

Quinn at least up-sizes Nickel to Big Nickel with 3 Safeties on the field instead of a Nickel CB for over 50% of snaps.

I do think with Clark that it would be possible to run 4-3 vs 3 WR sets considering that Parsons is one of the LBs. Clark is faster than Kearse.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I am not soured on Quinn in any way, he's just like every other coach, the talent is the control factor. They are a slave to the talent.

Buddy Ryan was never able to recreate the 46 D that made him famous, Marvin Lewis never able to even come close the Ravens 00 and Monte Kiffin couldn't duplicate that Tampa 2.

Jim Johnson and Dick LeBeau made their names because their GM's were focused on keeping the talent coming.

The Cowboys have an exceptional LB/DE, a couple of good DE's, a very good CB and good S. What else they got?

If the CB's had been there, they would not even have Parsons and how would they look without him?

There is also another issue here about Parsons, what other player on that D matches his heart? What other player hates to lose as much as he does?

The challenge with heart is that one man with heart will soon have his damaged by those with little heart before he can help them grow one. Especially on the Dallas Cowboys where losing is acceptable because the owner has already won.
Buddy recreated the 46D with the eagles. He was the DC for the Bears first.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
This team is a joke from head to toe. Not surprised this joke of a team can’t even scheme from an offensive standpoint or defensive standpoint. Everything from the QB to the Safety position has an extreme fundamental problem that can’t be fixed.

Can you show me one positive post from you?

If I thought this team is a joke I wouldn't be wasting my time (time is very valuable, the richest man can't buy it) watching them, unless I love watching them lose, and I wouldn't waste my time posting here, unless I'm just trolling Cowboy fans here. :)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

That first play was just incredible.
"Who plays defense like that?"

I'm just stunned. Parsons was supposed to cover a 10 yard gap with an uncovered C to contend with.

I thought the whole point of getting big fat guys was to two gap, hold your ground, and keep your LBs clean. Our DTs just evacuated between the hashes.

Clown Team.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
That first play was just incredible.
"Who plays defense like that?"
I'm just stunned. Parsons was supposed to cover a 10 yard gap with an uncovered C to contend with.
I thought the whole point of getting big fat guys was to two gap, hold your ground, and keep your LBs clean. Our DTs just evacuated between the hashes.
Clown Team.

After the yardage we gave up to GreenBay's run game in the 1st half, I thought we'd try and make some halftime adjustments to close the gaps, but it didn't happen.
Like you said......Clown Team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Modern era defenses rarely play 4-3 vs 3.WR sets.

Nickel is the "base" defense for all teams.

Quinn at least up-sizes Nickel to Big Nickel with 3 Safeties on the field instead of a Nickel CB for over 50% of snaps.

I do think with Clark that it would be possible to run 4-3 vs 3 WR sets considering that Parsons is one of the LBs. Clark is faster than Kearse.
Agreed. Exactly what I was thinking. Quinn also has Jabril Cox who could play one of the outside LB spots: Strongside LB (Parsons), Middle LB (Clark), Weakside LB (Cox). The 4-3 would work with these 3 LBs. If one wants to rush Parsons along the edge as a DE a majority of the time, plug LVE at middle LB, move Clark to strongside LB and keep Cox at weakside LB.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I love Baldy. He calls it as he sees it - good or bad.

It's around this time every season that we get exposed. Last year, it was against Denver. In 2020, it was against Cleveland.

Around this time, when teams are adjusting, we're still running the same plays and the same scheme hoping something changes.

This was a better chance than any to advance to the Super Bowl because there's really no power team in the NFC.

Let's see if we can right the ship, but if it's the same ole, same ole, the Cowboys will be watching the Super Bowl either as paid customers or from their living rooms.

Reactions: BAT