Twitter: Baldy's breakdowns: "Who plays defense like this?"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In SEA, Quinn had an in his prime Bobby Wagner and in ATL, Deion Jones, two sideline to sideline run enforcers and in SEA, he had a better run DL.

This was all fun and games as long as Micah was the terror and wreaking havoc in the backfield, the warts of a suspect run D were hidden.

Parsons has been compared to Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas, two of the very best to ever do it, but if those teams had depended on them to be superstars and not given them excellent complimentary players, would they have achieved greatness?

It is very simple to me. Any team that is star focused. as the Cowboys are. stops short of giving those stars a strong supporting cast and is dependent on them for the "show". They stop short of completing the project and move onto another one. Right now, that is Beckham when it should be a DT.

The "Flex" D was designed around one goal, the MLB must lead the team in tackles and that must be around the LOS. DL, when not after the QB, were to keep the OL off the LB's.

That game was the perfect template for how to nullify one of the best D playmakers in the game and you can bet it is going to be replicated. PHL started it and CHI and GB have improved on it. Now MIN and NYG get their shot. And once any D is overcommitted to stop one phase, the other one becomes a problem as well.

The Dallas Cowboys D doesn't scare anyone.......except thExcellent eir DC.

Excellent

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I've been repeating myself around the forum for the last couple days about our defense. Everybody is arguing over Dak's interceptions (there is another thread about it this morning) but the real problem with this team right now is the regression of this defense. I'll admit, I was on the DQ train, but his defense is starting to get abused. He needs to do some adjusting, pronto. Should tell us all we need to know about him down the stretch.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I have never seen a LB his size get taken for so many rides. He gets pushed back on almost every tackle.

Sometimes big linebackers are more finesse players. I’ve seen boxers who weighed 260 who couldn’t hit as hard as a 220lb guy. There are guys like Aaron Donald who isn’t the biggest DT out there throw around 315lb guards like a rag doll. Something different about physical players where everything they do is fast and powerful.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
You're 100% correct brother!

I actually have always liked Romo...a lot! It's just since he's half Hispanic, I ride him harder than most. Just the way I was raised. We judge our own much more critically. I'll try to be more gentle on Tony, especially since I do like him.

Sorry for causing so much discomfort. My apologies.
That's what I loved about Romo the most! Salud

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Sometimes big linebackers are more finesse players. I’ve seen boxers who weighed 260 who couldn’t hit as hard as a 220lb guy. There are guys like Aaron Donald who isn’t the biggest DT out there throw around 315lb guards like a rag doll. Something different about physical players where everything they do is fast and powerful.

He seems to never get his pad level down though. He is generally too upright when he makes contact. Really frustrating when we give up extra yardage on almost every tackle he's involved in. On the few plays where he does get low & deliver a blow, he drives them back or down. So, he can do it.

817Gill

Reaction score
I’ve been saying this for weeks. It’s not a personnel thing people are acting like our DT’s are the weakest players in the league. It’s a scheme issue, they don’t pay attention to run stopping at all; both DC and defense both covet pass rush and at best can tolerate run defense.

Until Quinn makes a concerted effort to stop the run schematically it won’t matter who we bring in.

And Hankins is a more than capable 2-gap DT so anyone saying we need more 2-gappers needs to want a scheme adjustment instead.

exciter

Reaction score
That's why I call them jump around defensive tackles. Because when they come off the ball they try to jump around the offensive guards leaving big holes. John Ridgeway was physically incapable of laying like that. If we want to stop the run we have to abandon the one gap system. Go to a two gap system and bring in players like John Ridgeway and Suh...natural two gap players.
Oh good grief, Ridgeway would just now be getting out of his 3 point stance. Suh went from only playing the run when he felt like it, to not playing it at all last season. There’s a reason he’s sitting on the couch… it’s where he belongs!

Creeper

Reaction score
Funny how one game has soured everyone on Quinn. I never trusted him because his record at Atlanta told us a lot about who he really is.

As for Baldy's Breakdown, I would have to see the down and distance before criticizing the decision to stunt the linemen. On the first play it looks like Lawrence was supposed to loop around from the LDE and get into the hole He somehow got cut off and never got there. But the Cowboys might have been anticipating a pass. I thought the packers did a great job of running in passing situations which sets up play action. Or maybe they saw Cowboys tendencies to stunt on passing downs and thought they could take advantage of it. The one thing I don't understand about this play was Bohanna and Hankins were at DT. Why put two beefy guys inside then send them on stunts? Let them clog the middle and keep the LBs clean. If you want to stunt put Odighizuwa and Watkins in there.

But on a play like that the DTs get the blame. People will say the Packers gashed us on the inside runs.

Selling out to get sacks is fine, if you get the sacks and turnovers. If you don't this is what happens. So yes, other teams will try the same things. Parsons has less impact on the game as an off ball LB than he does as a pass rusher so by mixing things up they negate some of Parsons best abilities. It looked to me like the Cowboys were afraid to send 5 guys against Rodgers. I think it really hurt than, especially on that 4th and 7 TD pass. I think you have to challenge Rodgers because he is going to beat you if he sits back in the pocket just as much as he beats you if you blitz and he sees it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Oh good grief, Ridgeway would just now be getting out of his 3 point stance. Suh went from only playing the run when he felt like it, to not playing it at all last season. There’s a reason he’s sitting on the couch… it’s where he belongs!
Are you sure our 6'3" 300 pound DT's can't withstand being pummeled by 6'5" 320 guards for 65 times a game and 17 games a year? I'm not because. And I'll use our last two playoff games as proof.

Big, strong, tough is how I would describe the DT's I want.

exciter

Reaction score
Are you sure our 6'3" 300 pound DT's can't withstand being pummeled by 6'5" 320 guards for 65 times a game and 17 games a year? I'm not because. And I'll use our last two playoff games as proof.

Big, strong, tough is how I would describe the DT's I want.
Oh please, numerous teams and players have done just fine with DTs at and under 300lb. The best DT in the league currently is at around 285. If Jimmy Johnson was still the coach they’d all be at around 275!

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's only a few plays, but when you see them it's not hard to grasp why what Dallas did wasn't working.

When your DT runs himself straight into the defensive end, completely vacating 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, you are going to have a bad time.

DQ better start playing some more base D with less stunting or this is going to get super ugly.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
"Let's make Dan Quinn the head coach." Yeah, no. I'm not impressed. Sack totals don't mean much when teams can just run it down your throat.

Show us the answer, Dan Quinn. We're waiting.

Been saying this, are edges are soft because we go full pressure with no gap awareness, this is fixable with who we have. DQ has work to do.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’ve been saying this for weeks. It’s not a personnel thing people are acting like our DT’s are the weakest players in the league. It’s a scheme issue, they don’t pay attention to run stopping at all; both DC and defense both covet pass rush and at best can tolerate run defense.

Until Quinn makes a concerted effort to stop the run schematically it won’t matter who we bring in.

And Hankins is a more than capable 2-gap DT so anyone saying we need more 2-gappers needs to want a scheme adjustment instead.
I want a scheme adjustment.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Oh please, numerous teams and players have done just fine with DTs at and under 300lb. The best DT in the league currently is at around 285. If Jimmy Johnson was still the coach they’d all be at around 275!
The best DT in the league, as you say, only want to Super Bowl when Suh was playing next to him.

Dallas needs bigger DT's and DE's if they want to be able to stand up against the run for 20 games a year.

But my opinions are mine alone and I don't need anyone to agree with me. No one will ever be able to talk me into changing my opinions. So, if your opinions different from mine have no problem with that, because they are your opinions.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
We've got an offensive coordinator who uses Dak like he's Patrick Mahomes and a DC who runs whatever this is, but we're going to win the Super Bowl?

The coordinators are not what some want to believe, including Jerry. We're not winning trophies with either of them.

I sleep better at night because I do not have false hope. We all want championships, but these guys won't get them.

Just a little research for you:

"They found those with more hope throughout their lives had better physical health, better health behaviors, better social support and a longer life. Hope also led to fewer chronic health problems, less depression, less anxiety and a lower risk of cancer"

But you keep sleeping good at night with that depressed negative attitude. ;)

exciter

Reaction score
The best DT in the league, as you say, only want to Super Bowl when Suh was playing next to him.

Dallas needs bigger DT's and DE's if they want to be able to stand up against the run for 20 games a year.

But my opinions are mine alone and I don't need anyone to agree with me. No one will ever be able to talk me into changing my opinions. So, if your opinions different from mine have no problem with that, because they are your opinions.
Lol, last I checked the Rams won the SB last season while Suh was in Tampa showing anyone paying attention that Father Time had passed him by at a good clip. But hey, your whole premise has pretty much been nonsense and gibberish!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
It's only a few plays, but when you see them it's not hard to grasp why what Dallas did wasn't working.

Parsons doesn't have a clue on how to get off a block, it's sad to watch someone who Thought was the next LT in this league. He's an average joe at the Backer position. Quinn is putting the players in the right spot to make tackles, but he can't do everything for them. Also, if a player can't wrap his arms around an opponent when attempting a tackle then CUT them because throwing oneself into a runner isn't going to do the job!