Baltimore Ravens Linebacker Kyle Van Noy Grills NFL For Baffling Decision To Bail Out Dak Prescott

JustChip

Reaction score
And allow, like with the CFL, ALL penalties to be reviewable. If NY sees a penalty like a PI, then it should be buzzed down to the ref to call it.
I agree ultimately, but my proposal seems like a reasonable first step. I just cannot see why the NFL would object to this. Borderline calls would stand, just like the “clear and refutable evidence” of the current challenge system, but having a mechanism to change clear, irrefutable calls should be the goal. Unless, of course, the conspiracy theorists are right.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So let's get back to my question. I haven't heard too much "in the grasp" calls and curious if its even a thing now.

At one time it was part of protecting the qb.
You don't see it a lot these days. I think with today's mobile QB's they try to give them every opportunity to break out of a tackle or make a play while being tackled.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
First game in a long time where the refs felt sorry for us, and gave us some bad calls. Doesn't even come close to the historic ref jobbing the Cowboys have received, but I don't want the refs to hand us breaks.

Loso86

Reaction score
Baltimore Ravens Linebacker Kyle Van Noy Grills NFL For Baffling Decision To Bail Out Dak Prescott
by Grayson Weir
Sep 23, 2024

dak-prescott-cowboys-safety-penalty-controversy.jpg

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Kyle Van Noy is just as confused as everybody else about a confusing call during the first half Sunday’s NFL game against the Dallas Cowboys. Don’t be surprised if the National Football league administers a fine for his criticism of the officials, even though it is completely warranted.

A play that probably should’ve been called as a safety was instead presented as a less-destructive penalty and gave the home team a break.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/dak-prescott-safety-penalty-ravens-kyle-van-noy-grounding/

Go cry me a river, Dallas never gets breaks!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Ball never reached the line of scrimmage and with no eligible receiver in the area is intentional grounding, intentional grounding penalty from the end zone is a safety.
This post is the correct answer.

RULE 8 FORWARD PASS, BACKWARD PASS, FUMBLE
SECTION 2 INTENTIONAL GROUNDING
ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION. It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure
from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a
pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible offensive receiver.
.​
.​
Here is an exception to the rule (the other is being outside the pocket which does not apply here) but what happened on the play is the opposite of the rule's sequence. Dak was contacted first then started his throwing motion.​
Item 2. Physical Contact. Intentional grounding should not be called if:
(a) the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a
defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver; or

rambo2

Reaction score
by Grayson Weir
Sep 23, 2024

dak-prescott-cowboys-safety-penalty-controversy.jpg

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Kyle Van Noy is just as confused as everybody else about a confusing call during the first half Sunday’s NFL game against the Dallas Cowboys. Don’t be surprised if the National Football league administers a fine for his criticism of the officials, even though it is completely warranted.

A play that probably should’ve been called as a safety was instead presented as a less-destructive penalty and gave the home team a break.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/dak-prescott-safety-penalty-ravens-kyle-van-noy-grounding/

How about the no holding call on the last run by Jackson? They call that obvious holding against Osa and it's 2nd and long and stops the clock. Dallas might have gotten the ball back and might have gotten in position for a tying field goal.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There’s none because there were no noticeable blatant missed calls against Dallas. You know like an illegal huddle or delay of game on a defensive lineman.

What you want people to start a thread about bad calls that finally went in our favor when the game was over ?

Use your head Witten. That would be really stupid and no one would do that. Just dumb. Kissing Marcus butt is cute though. He’ll be really happy.
You mad, bro? Lol. Maybe someone actually knowing their stuff is more popular than crying like a banshee wench about being a victim.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Notice the Dak Haters siding with the Ravens Van Noy (who is wrong, as are the haters).

Rewatch the play. The officials got it right. Dak's knees were still off the ground as he started lunging forward out of the endzone and the football clearly was being shovel passed as it came off of Dak's forward moving hand. THAT makes it a PASS. It was touched and caught by Tyron Smith at the 1 yard line, thus a penalty for illegal pass touch and catch, hence why the Cowboys were penalized halfway distance to the goal line and allowed to punt since it became 4th down.

The fact that it's a pass is what would make it a safety. The only reason it shouldn't be a safety is if it had been a fumble.

Where the refs got it wrong was that it should have been intentional grounding (Forward pass? Check. No realistic chance at a completion to an eligible player? Check. Under pressure? Check. In the pocket? Check.). With the intentional grounding occurring inside the end zone, that's a safety.

Illegal touching is also a penalty here, but I'm sure the Ravens would have gone with the grounding call.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The fact that it's a pass is what would make it a safety. The only reason it shouldn't be a safety is if it had been a fumble.

Where the refs got it wrong was that it should have been intentional grounding (Forward pass? Check. No realistic chance at a completion to an eligible player? Check. Under pressure? Check. In the pocket? Check.). With the intentional grounding occurring inside the end zone, that's a safety.

Illegal touching is also a penalty here, but I'm sure the Ravens would have gone with the grounding call.
You don't even know what you're talking about.

khiladi

Reaction score
ball was out. Either that call or incomplete.
“What call”?

That was intentional grounding, as no eligible receiver was within the vicinity. When you do that in the end zone, it’s a safety.

The explanation that the OL caught it, thus its no intentional grounding is bogus, which is what Mike Pereira says. He says you disregard the touch.

It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver.

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score
The one angle from behind showed Ferguson (I think) about 10 or so yards behind where Dak "seemed" to be trying to throw it. Whether he actually saw Ferguson and tried to throw it to him and just couldn't because he was going down or had no clue the receiver was even there or not, I have no idea.

khiladi

Reaction score
NFL and gambling are tied at the hip now officially. They just need to do enough to recoup any potential losses “without affecting the integrity of the game”. So many games are now ending “close” when the losing team was getting blown out.

khiladi

Reaction score
The one angle from behind showed Ferguson (I think) about 10 or so yards behind where Dak "seemed" to be trying to throw it. Whether he actually saw Ferguson and tried to throw it to him and just couldn't because he was going down or had no clue the receiver was even there or not, I have no idea.
It’s not about seeing, it’s about realistic chance of completion. Dak was almost to the ground when he threw it and it was nowhere near any eligible receiver.

Adreme

Reaction score
The weird thing about that call to me was that it should have been easy. I get there is holding on every play and you can call illegal contact on 70% of plays so those are judgment calls but there is no judgment here. Was there an eligible receiver in the area? Obviously not so fhe play is a safety.

It just stuns me that these refs have such massive egos that they want to have no in game review of their incompetence to highlight how wrong they are.