Battle Lines: more depth than ever at DT

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/battle-lines-more-depth-than-ever-at-def-tackle

Biggest Question: Is this run defense better? That's the question going into the season and even though it was addressed by the pick of Mazi Smith, we won't really know what happens until Week 1 against the Giants, who have one of the NFL's best backs in Saquon Barkley.

Thing is, I don't recall Barkley ever having a lot of success against us, no matter our DT's.

Mazi will be the key as to how well the run defense improves and how quick he picks everything up.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Care to explain that? Are you saying our coaches are incompetent?
No I'm saying that the run defense was good last year, just had two-three bad games. The only game that Dallas gave up a positive EPA against the run - Chicago - they won by 20-something. There isn't much better they can actually be.

The run defense is not and was not a problem last year. At all.

EPA- 4th
SR- 3rd(36.9%)

DVOA- 5th
Early downs(1st&2nd)
EPA- 5th
SR- 4th(34.4%)

Philly and SF had no success, and were markedly worse against Dallas than their average.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By "material differense" are you suggesting the run defense won't be improved this year?

Just saw your reply, no need to answer again. I think where they'll be improved is stopping the critical 3rd down runs that weren't stopped last year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This team's present pass defense should improve significantly over what it was in 2022. With that being the case, opposing offenses will be likely to rely more upon their running games to a greater extent. I'm expecting our run defense to improve somewhat but, of course, much remains to be determined. Hopefully, that will be good enough to boost the entire team's performance as a whole. Whether it helps our cause in the playoffs remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
By "material differense" are you suggesting the run defense won't be improved this year?

Just saw your reply, no need to answer again. I think where they'll be improved is stopping the critical 3rd down runs that weren't stopped last year.
Again, this is largely a myth.

They were 7th in EPA and 6th in success rate on 3rd and 4th down runs. There's just not a lot better to get.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No I'm saying that the run defense was good last year, just had two-three bad games. The only game that Dallas gave up a positive EPA against the run - Chicago - they won by 20-something. There isn't much better they can actually be.

EPA- 4th
SR- 3rd(36.9%)

DVOA- 5th
Early downs(1st&2nd)
EPA- 5th
SR- 4th(34.4%)

Philly and SF had no success, and were markedly worse against Dallas than their average.

Not sure fans understand this.......sure we have to do a better job but we are not as bad as some seem to think.
In fact, even in the two playoff games....our interior D did very well.

Bucs ......the D gave up 336 total yards but only 52 rushing yards
49ers.......total yards 312 total yards but 113 rushing

Hopefully, Smith's addition will close the gap a bit

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2022.htm

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Get ready for this look:
4-3_Under_medium_JPG.jpg

75boyz

Reaction score
Again, this is largely a myth.

They were 7th in EPA and 6th in success rate on 3rd and 4th down runs. There's just not a lot better to get.
They're still stuck on the Rams playoff loss from a few years back and to a more recent extent, the 9ers '21 playoff loss which you've effectively addressed in a previous post.

So when the Cowboys totally shut down the 9er run game in the playoffs last year it was like,
Hmmm...

Where should we go with the blame now?

Hint: it wasn't the defense.
OR the playcaller, lol

gtb1943

Reaction score
They're still stuck on the Rams playoff loss from a few years back and to a more recent extent, the 9ers '21 playoff loss which you've effectively addressed in a previous post.

So when the Cowboys totally shut down the 9er run game in the playoffs last year it was like,
Hmmm...

Where should we go with the blame now?

Hint: it wasn't the defense.
OR the playcaller, lol
Maybe because the offense was so inept the 49rs really were not trying.

Think about that.

gtb1943

Reaction score

EPA- 4th
SR- 3rd(36.9%)

DVOA- 5th
Early downs(1st&2nd)
EPA- 5th
SR- 4th(34.4%)

22nd in yards given up and 17th in YPC.

Try again.

75boyz

Reaction score
Maybe because the offense was so inept the 49rs really were not trying.

Think about that.
Totally agree. It was a total offensive failure.
But what I was also saying was that you cant lay any of the blame on last year's 9er loss to run defense.
Like maybe you could the year before or definitely the run dee as a major reason for the playoff loss to the Rams a few years earlier.

It was indeed an offensive fail, no doubt.