Battle Lines: more depth than ever at DT

GoldenR

Reaction score
San Fran ran for over 200 yards two years ago and over a 100 last year, facts. But.....most logical folks know what is holding this team back and no excuses this year with the talent on offense. Then again, some always have an excuse depending on the player.

rambo2

Reaction score
This could be the best defensive line in the history of the team. Is that 63 years?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
No I'm saying that the run defense was good last year, just had two-three bad games. The only game that Dallas gave up a positive EPA against the run - Chicago - they won by 20-something. There isn't much better they can actually be.

The run defense is not and was not a problem last year. At all.

EPA- 4th
SR- 3rd(36.9%)

DVOA- 5th
Early downs(1st&2nd)
EPA- 5th
SR- 4th(34.4%)

Philly and SF had no success, and were markedly worse against Dallas than their average.

This doesnt count what they had to give up to stop runs, take the GB game for example we had to commit body's to stop which left holes on the coverage... numbers may not jump but upgrading the DT position will have an impact on the defense.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This doesnt count what they had to give up to stop runs, take the GB game for example we had to commit body's to stop which left holes on the coverage... numbers may not jump but upgrading the DT position will have an impact on the defense.
Not really true, and also irrelevant - especially in the GB game - if the offense doesn't turn the ball over.

On the TD drive to make it 28-21, GB hit on on 4th and 7 against a 7-man coverage with a safety over the top.
On the GB overtime drive, they hit a third-and-2 pass where the Cowboys only had a light box (one-step drop).

Dallas' biggest problem against GB was turnovers by the offense and DBs who couldn't cover anybody. The run defense wasn't very good, but it was way down the list as far as what cost them the game.

75boyz

Reaction score

Yeah, definitely some impressive workout numbers in shorts.
I watched a good amount of Michigan.
I definitely need to see how his pro game day performance will surpass his college film before giving an "official" opinion but let's just say he's got a lot to do to impress me but again, I'm a nobody.

I just sure hope McClay got this one right and he's not just another workout (combine) warrior.

jmo

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/battle-lines-more-depth-than-ever-at-def-tackle

Biggest Question: Is this run defense better? That's the question going into the season and even though it was addressed by the pick of Mazi Smith, we won't really know what happens until Week 1 against the Giants, who have one of the NFL's best backs in Saquon Barkley.

Thing is, I don't recall Barkley ever having a lot of success against us, no matter our DT's.

Mazi will be the key as to how well the run defense improves and how quick he picks everything up.
Barkley is on one of those teams where if you focus on stopping him, you stop the offense. Makes it a lot easier than facing teams that have a quarterback who can also consistently hurt you. Jones is better than he was, but he's still not that guy.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Get ready for this look:
4-3_Under_medium_JPG.jpg
That's pretty much the look we're already using on early downs, but we're essentially using two LEOs (Lawrence, Armstrong) instead of a LEO and SLB. Ours is more of a 5-2 or pseudo-3-4 with a 4-tech/5-tech, 1-tech and 3-tech officially as the down linemen. We do drop the ends out some into short zone, especially when we're bringing Parsons from MLB.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely some impressive workout numbers in shorts.
I watched a good amount of Michigan.
I definitely need to see how his pro game day performance will surpass his college film before giving an "official" opinion but let's just say he's got a lot to do to impress me but again, I'm a nobody.

I just sure hope McClay got this one right and he's not just another workout (combine) warrior.

jmo
I think no matter what he'll improve the run defense. He was considered one of the top run defenders in the draft because of his ability to clog things up. That's one reason I didn't have a problem with the pick. He may not become the dual threat that they want him to be but just the congestion he can create will help us put offenses in situations where they have to pass and we can bring in the pass rushers.

His workout warrior numbers suggest he can be more than just a clogger, but even if he doesn't live up to them we're still better off as a run defense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/battle-lines-more-depth-than-ever-at-def-tackle

Biggest Question: Is this run defense better? That's the question going into the season and even though it was addressed by the pick of Mazi Smith, we won't really know what happens until Week 1 against the Giants, who have one of the NFL's best backs in Saquon Barkley.

Thing is, I don't recall Barkley ever having a lot of success against us, no matter our DT's.

Mazi will be the key as to how well the run defense improves and how quick he picks everything up.
More depth than ever at *NT*.
Then a bunch of DEs as pass rush DTs and a DT/DE tweener in Osa.
Nothing left besides Gallimore as a 4-3 DT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think no matter what he'll improve the run defense. He was considered one of the top run defenders in the draft because of his ability to clog things up. That's one reason I didn't have a problem with the pick. He may not become the dual threat that they want him to be but just the congestion he can create will help us put offenses in situations where they have to pass and we can bring in the pass rushers.

His workout warrior numbers suggest he can be more than just a clogger, but even if he doesn't live up to them we're still better off as a run defense.
Short yardage should improve a lot with Smith *and* Hankins on the field together.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think expecting Mazi Smith to dominant in his rookie season and make a significant improvement in run defense, is a bit of wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a great addition and be very worthy of the 1st round pick. He appears to be exactly what we need.

What will make a difference is Smith and/or Hankins occupying two interior OL on a consistent basis and LDE having an injury-free year. I actually think Overshown could be a key piece of the D in his rookie year.

blueblood70

Reaction score

So, what would be the best hope for what Mazi can turn into??

I mean this guy's measurables, if you compare him to other guys, I saw on Twitter somewhere they were comparing his cone drills and his lift reps and some other things and he actually had better measurables in some of these categories then Tyrone Smith, Tyler Smith, and even in one spot, I think it was his 1st 10 yards burst, almost as good Micah Parsons, it was close...

so if Smith turns into say Byron Jones is that good enough?? the guy who also had great measurables and turned into a good player but not a generational or transcendent player just played a nice role or does he have to turn into a Micah Parsons type??

which would you be happy with, I mean I know everyone's going to want him to be the greatest tackle we ever had but if he just simply plays at a level like Byron Jones would that be good enough?

Big_D

Reaction score
Totally agree. It was a total offensive failure.
But what I was also saying was that you cant lay any of the blame on last year's 9er loss to run defense.
Like maybe you could the year before or definitely the run dee as a major reason for the playoff loss to the Rams a few years earlier.

It was indeed an offensive fail, no doubt.
Play action. A 7th round rookie QB took full advantage because the LBs have to sell out to stop the run. So instead they get burnt in the passing game. The rushing yards don’t tell the whole story. And the addition of Smith should help tremendously in this area.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Let's see it first. Hankins was a huge addition last year but is 31 and played 5 games last year. I think he will still clog the middle in a rotation and be one of those guys whose contribution greatly exceeds his stat line. Mazi hasn't stepped on an NFL field yet. We all hope our picks are great and in particular our 1st rounders but he hasn't done anything yet. Osa is a really good rotation 3 tech, but far from an elite guy and for us he is in a rotation with JAGs the last couple of years. Gholston is too small to play FT DT on run downs. Bohanna still hopefully can improve some more but hasn't done anything yet. Gallimore has mostly been a disappointment. That's not exactly a feared group.

But, all that being said, I have high hopes. I'm not looking for All Pro level play I'm looking for better play than recent years. I think our DTs will do a much better job against the run than in recent years and I love that the team finally dedicated a prime resource to fix (or at least begin to fix) the problem. Our DEs will provide the splash. Our DTs just need to stop the run and not get pushed around and hopefully push the pocket a little bit. I don't think Mazi is going to provide much pass rush year 1 but if he can, then paired with Osa it could really make it difficult on teams because they are going to need to pay attention to our Edge guys every pass play. I suspect we will also again move our DEs inside and rush one of them at DT along with Osa at times. So while I'm not sure the group itself is all that formidable, I think we will make it so by rotating and playing 3 DEs on some pass rush downs. I'd still love to see us add another legit 3 tech. Yes Mazi and Hankins may play together on some run downs or short yardage but I'd love to get another guy to rotate in the Osa role that isn't a huge drop off.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, what would be the best hope for what Mazi can turn into??

I mean this guy's measurables, if you compare him to other guys, I saw on Twitter somewhere they were comparing his cone drills and his lift reps and some other things and he actually had better measurables in some of these categories then Tyrone Smith, Tyler Smith, and even in one spot, I think it was his 1st 10 yards burst, almost as good Micah Parsons, it was close...

so if Smith turns into say Byron Jones is that good enough?? the guy who also had great measurables and turned into a good player but not a generational or transcendent player just played a nice role or does he have to turn into a Micah Parsons type??

which would you be happy with, I mean I know everyone's going to want him to be the greatest tackle we ever had but if he just simply plays at a level like Byron Jones would that be good enough?
I think Mazi has much better coaching and supporting cast than Byron. Better schemes as well.
However he is still learning, at least to be a pass rusher. I am sure there will be some growing pains. Which means you know what happens on here with that.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The D is going to be nasty. And if MM successfully transforms the offense into an efficient TOP, run-first unit— this D will be playing with leads and putting a lot of QBs on IR

75boyz

Reaction score
The D is going to be nasty. And if MM successfully transforms the offense into an efficient TOP, run-first unit— this D will be playing with leads and putting a lot of QBs on IR
Yep, no doubt.
This SHOULD be the plan. The coach has even said it WOULD be.

NOW go and prove it and don't get pass happy and mistake riddled at the first sign of good defenses which is my fear.