BCS Championship Game: 1 Auburn vs. 2 Oregon

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
AdamJT13;3796102 said:
And yet it's the only thing over which the teams have no control.

Give us your opinion Mr. AdamJT. As the BCS is setup right now, is it important to have the SOS included in the BCS formula?

I think it is and am glad of it.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Somewhere in Lubbock, Tommy Tubberville has to be pissed...

Texan_Eph89

Reaction score
So happy Auburn won, makes Patrick Peterson more likely!
Cam Newton going early for sure now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Very good and entertaining game. I hated how Oregon lost but the call was the correct call on the long run by Auburn.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
casmith07;3796380 said:
Play to the whistle!
...Is usually a great piece of advice. Until you see guys getting penalized for piling on even before the whistle is blown. The refs have become really bad about not blowing the whistles. But they'll penalize a guy in a heartbeat for unnecessary roughness. And there was an Oregon DL right next to Dyer when he rolled over that guy. You can also see the umpire walking towards the pile up to spot the ball before Dyer gets up and starts acting like he's gonna run. Then Dyer stopped!! He had to think he was down.

I'm not faulting Oregon at all for that play. Technically, maybe the right call. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not that the BCS doesn't do that already.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
casmith07;3796380 said:
Play to the whistle!

I agree. Auburn sideline relized the whistle had not blown and waved Dyer on. Oregon players should have relized this as well. To me it was a freak situation that cost Oregon but the only thing you can do is play until you hear the whistle.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
peplaw06;3796406 said:
...Is usually a great piece of advice. Until you see guys getting penalized for piling on even before the whistle is blown. The refs have become really bad about not blowing the whistles. But they'll penalize a guy in a heartbeat for unnecessary roughness. And there was an Oregon DL right next to Dyer when he rolled over that guy. You can also see the umpire walking towards the pile up to spot the ball before Dyer gets up and starts acting like he's gonna run. Then Dyer stopped!! He had to think he was down.

I'm not faulting Oregon at all for that play. Technically, maybe the right call. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not that the BCS doesn't do that already.

Just the BCS, or the entire NCAA?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;3796406 said:

Seems like a no win situation for the ref. If he blows the whistle replay is going to show he blew the call since the RB was never down. I think these guys did a good job by allowing it to continue and then let the replay prove them right.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;3796406 said:

the refs let them play now and have late whistles as they all figure they can be corrected by the review, worse in college as all plays are reviewable, not just coach's challenges.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3796794 said:
the refs let them play now and have late whistles as they all figure they can be corrected by the review, worse in college as all plays are reviewable, not just coach's challenges.

They have been instructed to do that. Had the ref blown that whistle on that play there would have been no way to rectify it. In the end they made the right call. Heck refs are blasted constantly for a bad call they deserve kudos for making the right call at a critical moment of the game

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
casmith07;3796631 said:
Just the BCS, or the entire NCAA?
Good point.

Doomsday101;3796660 said:
Seems like a no win situation for the ref. If he blows the whistle replay is going to show he blew the call since the RB was never down. I think these guys did a good job by allowing it to continue and then let the replay prove them right.
It may be a no-win situation for the ref, maybe not. But it's definitely a no-win situation for that DL. I have no doubt in my mind if that DL had piled on Dyer after he had rolled completely over that other defender, he would have drawn a flag.

I hardly ever hear a whistle at the end of a play anymore. And go watch that replay, because the umpire was absolutely headed to the pile to spot the ball. Dyer gets up and you can actually see the surprise in the umpire's body language.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3796872 said:
They have been instructed to do that. Had the ref blown that whistle on that play there would have been no way to rectify it. In the end they made the right call. Heck refs are blasted constantly for a bad call they deserve kudos for making the right call at a critical moment of the game
Sure there would have. Happens all the time. Whistle blows the play dead, no review can take place.

They accidentally made the right call. It wasn't on purpose. The umpire thought the play was over, he just didn't blow the whistle.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TCU picked up I believe three more 1st place votes this morning though Auburn is still ranked #1 in the BCS.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;3796892 said:
Good point.

It may be a no-win situation for the ref, maybe not. But it's definitely a no-win situation for that DL. I have no doubt in my mind if that DL had piled on Dyer after he had rolled completely over that other defender, he would have drawn a flag.

I hardly ever hear a whistle at the end of a play anymore. And go watch that replay, because the umpire was absolutely headed to the pile to spot the ball. Dyer gets up and you can actually see the surprise in the umpire's body language.

Your guessing, you don't know if a flag would have been thrown or not fact is the whisle had not been blown that means the play is live. It gets old hearing people whine about the refs clearly if he blows the play dead people would be screaming that he blew the call since the runner was not down, and now the ref take the blame because he did not blow the play dead? Give me a break.