BCS Championship Game: 1 Auburn vs. 2 Oregon

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
VietCowboy;3795944 said:
that is why people want a playoff system...
Exactly. I love the last LSU national championship to death, but we won it with two losses. Let the top 16 teams prove it on the field. Every other NCAA sport and every other NCAA football division has a playoff system. Keep the money (a.k.a. the bowls) in the picture, but insert sanity into the top division in college football (because it has never been there before).

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
187beatdown;3795941 said:
If TCU had gotten a shot then people would be whining that Auburn or Oregon didn't get a shot.

It is what it is.

VietCowboy;3795944 said:
that is why people want a playoff system...

Thank you VC... my point exactly...

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
187beatdown;3795950 said:
Well obviously a playoff system would be awesome, I'm rooting for one myself, but the system the BCS has right now for determining ranking is accurate and fair, no matter people want to complain about it.

What they should do is take the current system and use it for setting up a bracket style playoff.

What really bothers me about the complainers of it all is that they completely throw out the SOS of the teams they are making the debate about.

Boise fans do it and TCU fans do it.

SOS is huge and folks completely ignore it.

trickblue

Reaction score
Double Trouble;3795951 said:
"Mighty Wisconsin"? :laugh2:

It was all we heard over the last weeks of the season... "Nobody wants to play Wisconsin"... then they lose and everyone forgets that...

I guess they'll throw TCU #2 and chuckle behind doors while they count their money...

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Dallas;3795945 said:
Yeah The Big East is part of it all. At least TCU will have much more competition thrown at them weekly in the BE. I got no issue if they run the table next year being in the NC game.

Saying it and doing it is completely different. New conference and tougher schedule. We'll see.

TCU starts Big East play in 2 years not next year.

Go Frogs!

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
DallasEast;3795956 said:
Exactly. I love the last LSU national championship to death, but we won it with two losses. Let the top 16 teams prove it on the field. Every other NCAA sport and every other NCAA football division has a playoff system. Keep the money (a.k.a. the bowls) in the picture, but insert sanity into the top division in college football (because it has never been there before).

Yep, just have the top team in each conference match up in a playoff system.

The big bowls can still be around, they will just be a playoff now.

Have 2 teams play in the first round in the rose bowl
2nd round could be the Orange Bowl
etc.

They wouldn't lose out on the big matchups, it would just be for a playoff game instead of a "bowl game". Seems simple enough.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Dallas;3795959 said:
What really bothers me about the complainers of it all is that they completely throw out the SOS of the teams they are making the debate about.

That's what Gordon Gee said too. Oops.

SOS is the tired old crutch clung to be the old establishment NCAA presidents.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Muhast;3795966 said:
Yep, just have the top team in each conference match up in a playoff system.

The big bowls can still be around, they will just be a playoff now.

Have 2 teams play in the first round in the rose bowl
2nd round could be the Orange Bowl
etc.

They wouldn't lose out on the big matchups, it would just be for a playoff game instead of a "bowl game". Seems simple enough.
That would never fly. The traditional major bowls (Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Rose) would demand rotating as host bowls for the quarterfinal, semifinal and championship games. That's doable, but the conferences would only agree with it if they saw guaranteed money for their schools in any playoff/bowl arrangement.

trickblue

Reaction score
Dallas;3795959 said:

SOS is a bull-you-know-what argument... SOS means nothing when it comes to head to head play...

A playoff system (which FCS manages to do while all the while generally higher academic standards) is the only answer. The problem is that the big schools want to restrict it to a very few conferences...

The fact that TCU/Boise can recruit and compete against OU, UT and other big schools is remarkable...

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Well obviously a playoff system would be awesome, I'm rooting for one myself, but the system the BCS has right now for determining ranking is accurate and fair, no matter people want to complain about it.

What they should do is take the current system and use it for setting up a bracket style playoff.

Personally, I beg to differ considering that a lot of schools do get an unfair advantage. If it is so accurate, than why were both schools who played tonight both ranked outside of the top 10 at the beginning of season (this is what I heard on ESPN, so correct me if I'm wrong)? If it was so accurate, why did those #1 rank schools drop so much after a loss? Should they have been #1 in the first place, could a #1 team have a bad day and still be #1? I think so. Only one team in the NFL went undefeated. This is why the playoff system is a good idea, because as much as ranking plays into it, you still have to let the teams play each other.

trickblue

Reaction score
Dallas;3795971 said:
Because its played after the BCS rankings and bowl placement has been set? :confused:

Ummm... I don't get it... TCU was penalized for winning a bowl because it was after the fact?

I may not be following you here, Dallas...

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
trickblue;3795982 said:
SOS is a bull-you-know-what argument... SOS means nothing when it comes to head to head play...

A playoff system (which FCS manages to do while all the while generally higher academic standards) is the only answer. The problem is that the big schools want to restrict it to a very few conferences...

The fact that TCU/Boise can recruit and compete against OU, UT and other big schools is remarkable...

I got no problem w/ SOS being part of the BCS formula. I think its important because the big programs don't get to dance through a smurf of a conference like Boise and TCU.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Dallas;3795988 said:
I got no problem w/ SOS being part of the BCS formula. I think its important because the big programs don't get to dance through a smurf of a conference like Boise and TCU.

but at the same time, they refuse to let Boise or TCU play them. They've asked repeatedly to play them...ON THE ROAD, and were turned down.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bragging between Crimson Tide and Tigers fans within the state of Alabama will be EPIC for the next year. :laugh1:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
trickblue;3795986 said:
Ummm... I don't get it... TCU was penalized for winning a bowl because it was after the fact?

I may not be following you here, Dallas...

I guess I don't follow you. I don't understand you saying beating WIS in the Rose is the reason TCU should have been in the NC game.

Are you just using it for a playoff argument? :confused:

trickblue

Reaction score

How can it be fair when teams don't go head to head in a tournament? Every other sport... including non-D1 football plays a tournament...

ONLY the BCS doesn't (for academic reasons is the excuse) and that is laughable...

It's money, money, money... these state supported schools are taking your tax dollars and bowl money too... while increasing tuition...

What's wrong with this picture...