Be honest, is this defense good enough to win a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember it's not how you start.........how you finish. Other words, regardless of what happens Sept or Oct, you have to play you best ball after T'giving to any real shot playoff success.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yes, because defenses don't win superbowls. The combination of offense, defense, and special teams do.

The Chiefs had an absolutely awful defense last year, but it was good enough to make it to and win the Superbowl (even if it didn't). "All" it takes is the offense playing good and some plays here and there (like not lining up offsides so you get the 3rd pick of Tom Brady).

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.
Right now no let’s revisit week 8.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.
No, this defense is not good enough to win a Super Bowl, but they are much better than the Eagles defense and the Chiefs defense, so does that mean neither of those teams can win the SB? When healthy, our offense is good enough to win a Super Bowl, and our defense is good enough to be a part of that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
If we can outscore opponents a la " gretest show on turf" STL Rams , then yes

scottsp

Reaction score
I believe the answer to the question is forthcoming, yet to be answered. Just as it would be with Kellen Moore's unit, it's tough to get a read on this defense until it's confronted by opposition equipped with planning and personnel capabilities to light up scoreboards.

No one would be asking Dallas to grind those offenses to a halt. But it certainly cannot allow 270+ yards on the ground, either.

Can't wait to find out!

Aven8

Reaction score

Pressure is awful, and I don’t see how it’s fixed on the interior, and we create NO TO’s. I don’t see how we can expect to win sustainably like this. We created NO pressure until we started to blitz yesterday.

mmohican29

Reaction score
IMO- Not the right question after 3 games. Let’s wait until we’ve seen this team face different kinds of opponents and face different kinds of adversity. You wouldn’t give a student a final grade in September without finishing the course. Why would we judge this D after 3 games?

Right now I just want to beat the aints.

Honestly, at this time- no it is not.

BUT.

I am not seeing the same schemes employed as last season. There have been very few blitz packages shows to date, less DL games. It's been stylistically different.

I think it has a chance to improve dramatically as it gets a) healthy and b) the real NFC heavyweights schemed with more scrutiny.

My expectation is the D will soar post bye-week as it comes to in-season maturity.

The Rams managed their season similarly last year, and while it has not been dominant to date, the Cowboys continue to play with great effort and excellent physicality.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Dallas is 3rd in the NFL in 3rd down conversions %.

+53 point differential is 2nd.

Points allowed is 4th.

willia451

Reaction score
What defense is better? Teams regularly give up 17-21 points per game. That's normal against a good offense in the modern NFL. At a minimum.

Yeah. They're ok. Just like every other team is ok. Or worse.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The NFL isn't designed for great defenses. The teams which win it all typically do two related things

Pressure the QB and create turnovers. The offenses good enough to get to the big show don't make a lot of unforced errors. So our bend don't break scheme combined with no ballhawks will not win the Super Bowl.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense hasn't peaked. We just got Quinn in the line-up, and might even get the weed legend himself back at some point. LVE has also been mostly MIA and Jaylon isn't making a whole lots plays either.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
so you think th eteam with the great defense is gonna outscore the chiefs? The last ten SB winners have avg 30ppg....

willia451

Reaction score
The NFL isn't designed for great defenses. The teams which win it all typically do two related things

Pressure the QB and create turnovers. The offenses good enough to get to the big show don't make a lot of unforced errors. So our bend don't break scheme combined with no ballhawks will not win the Super Bowl.

I disagree. Generally speaking if you can make the playoffs, anything can happen. Not always. But sometimes.

Except, it seems, with the Cowboys. They are really re-writing the history books. We roll into the playoffs with 11, 12, even 13 wins. And do nothing. Its incredible. We are never going to win a SB with the flying tomato clapper as HC. We'll do well in the regular season on occasion and make the playoffs.

But we'll never sniff an NFC Championship Game with him in charge.

Everybody knows it. But so what? Just embrace it. That's all we really can do.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I disagree. Generally speaking if you can make the playoffs, anything can happen. Not always. But sometimes.

Except, it seems, with the Cowboys. They are really re-writing the history books. We roll into the playoffs with 11, 12, even 13 wins. And do nothing. Its incredible. We are never going to win a SB with the flying tomato clapper as HC. We'll do well in the regular season on occasion and make the playoffs.

But we'll never sniff an NFC Championship Game with him in charge.

Everybody knows it. But so what? Just embrace it. That's all we really can do.
Oh I generally agree with you. You need to be aggressive to win in the playoffs. And we have risk averse coaches

LovinItAll

Reaction score
If we are being honest, no, not a chance. What happened in the first half yesterday against an inferior opponent cannot happen against the Saints, Packers, Pats, Eagles etc. The defense also started "slow" against the Skins and the Gmen. I don't think it is a bad defense, but I think we are vulnerable to the high-powered offenses of the league.

We held the Dolphins to 6 points and covered a 21 point spread. The Patriots didn't cover their 20+ point spread yesterday. Also, the Pats were only beating the fish 7-0 until late in the 2nd quarter.

Geez, enjoy a great start. It's a long season. Jaylon will be fine, LVE will get his sea legs, Quinn looked good yesterday and will get better, Tank will see fewer double teams and will be the stud he is. Ours CBs and safeties are serviceable.

We have enough talent on both sides of the ball to make the SB. So do 6-8 other teams. Avoiding injuries and getting a few lucky breaks always helps, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.