Be honest, is this defense good enough to win a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
We need another 1-tech.

Yup....Your not gonna win a championship w/ Antwan Woods as your starter. Sorry. I also think we need another pass rushing DT to pair w/ Collins. Hate to say it...but David Irving really screwed us....we need a guy like that to get us over the top.

3rd and long....

LDE_D-Law
LDT-Collins
RDT-Don't think Hill is the pass rusher your looking for...Crawford is done.
RDE-Quinn

cowboys1981

Reaction score
As positive as I always am, I think we need another pass rusher to give us depth. Lawrence and Quinn are the only ones I feel noteworthy. The Bears have the pass rush I want our front four to have consistently.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think the jury is still out and depends on too many things for us to know at this point.

I will say this—we have enough talent on defense to win it—but I’m not sure we have the coaching on defense to maximize it.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think the jury is still out and depends on too many things for us to know at this point.

I will say this—we have enough talent on defense to win it—but I’m not sure we have the coaching on defense to maximize it.

:hammer:.....As much as I'd like to think we are close...I have ZERO confidence in this defensive coaching staff. Both the lead guys have been fired. One being the head coach of an 0-16 team. How does one even do that? Seriously...that's hard to do. Not even win one game. That's should scream volumes that we need a new direction. Sadly...he's a Jerry yes man....and will do what Jerry believes in. and that's play that soft zone defense...keep it close....don't give up the big play. Sounds good on paper...but looks like crap when Aaron Rodgers pulls your heart out w/ 30 seconds left in a playoff game. :rolleyes:

kskboys

Reaction score
As positive as I always am, I think we need another pass rusher to give us depth. Lawrence and Quinn are the only ones I feel noteworthy. The Bears have the pass rush I want our front four to have consistently.
And the NT to complete the puzzle.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Yes! This defense is good enough to play in the Super Bowl! Offense wins games and Championships not defense! I am tired of hearing that BS
Don’t get it twisted you need at least a good defense to win regularly and in the post season and definitely in the SB.
Look back at the top 4 defenses , maybe 5 last season none made a difference in the postseason the top 4/5 offenses did and played in the conference championship games as well as the SB.
Yes our defense is good enough. It has time to hit it’s stride we are just coming to the first quarter of the season, heck our offense as good as it has looked will be even better by the end of the season

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They rarely do, in week 3. We’re ahead of where I thought we were last year, at least.

If we can add an impact player, we should consider it.

Verdict

Reaction score
They rarely do, in week 3. We’re ahead of where I thought we were last year, at least.

I think the entire defense is solid with the exception of DT which is woefully undermanned right now.

Zordon

Reaction score
Yup....Your not gonna win a championship w/ Antwan Woods as your starter. Sorry. I also think we need another pass rushing DT to pair w/ Collins. Hate to say it...but David Irving really screwed us....we need a guy like that to get us over the top.

3rd and long....

LDE_D-Law
LDT-Collins
RDT-Don't think Hill is the pass rusher your looking for...Crawford is done.
RDE-Quinn
If David Irving didn't look like he's lost 50 lbs in his Instagram pics I'd get on the phone with him and try to make amends. He is desperately needed on this defense.

Zordon

Reaction score

I see several posts like yours in here characterizing the defense as a work in progress. Why is that? We have continuity at the coordinator and position coaches and several returning starters. I don't really see any reason why they shouldn't be firing on all cylinders right out the gate.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see several posts like yours in here characterizing the defense as a work in progress. Why is that? We have continuity at the coordinator and position coaches and several returning starters. I don't really see any reason why they shouldn't be firing on all cylinders right out the gate.

It’s so early in the season. And we’re incorporating, what, 7 new players and 4 new DLs into things. Not including giving more playing time to guys like Armstrong and the move of Lee to SAM. Or the Quinn suspension. We should be expecting the odd issues with run fits or a few blown coverages here and there. All teams have them early.

catiii

Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.
1*g4eO7lpwssVVBchx0XhrcQ.jpeg

Super bowl baby!! 16-0! :grin:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
IMO- Not the right question after 3 games. Let’s wait until we’ve seen this team face different kinds of opponents and face different kinds of adversity. You wouldn’t give a student a final grade in September without finishing the course. Why would we judge this D after 3 games?

Right now I just want to beat the aints.

Not as much as I do, if the Saints beat the Cowboys with a backup quarterback I won't hear the end of it for a year, even if Dallas wins the SB. Not saying all Saints fans are jealous of Dallas' success and popularity, but the vast majority are....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Talent wise I think this defense can be very good. I don't think they have played up to their talent level as of yet, 2nd half of the Miami game the unit showed good signs of life. Big challenge ahead of them starting this weekend.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I think a positive with this team is that in order to lose both units will have to have a bad games. If one unit is terrible one game, and one unit is great the game is still going to be close. Obviously if both are great we'll win.

In terms of the defense i think quinn will help alot opposite dlaw. Its all about the front four. I don't think Jaylon and LVE are playing great right now, but i think they will. The secondary is also above average.

So again the talent is there its just putting it all together.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Despite playing teams with running backs like Kenyon Drake, an aged A.P., and a good running back in Barkley who had an aged quarterback playing with mediocre receivers, Cowboys are giving up 90 ypg rushing. Meanwhile the Pats are giving up 36 ypg.

As noted by somebody here Cowboys aren't getting a lot of game changing plays like ints or fumbles returned for tds, or 5-6 sacks in any game, or shutouts. Receivers are finding gaping holes in the Cowboys' coverage every game, usually multiple times.

So at this point, I'd say no, the defense isn't good enough to win the SB. Now if they hold Rodgers to 1 td and 10 pts or such, then I'd have to re-evaluate, but they haven't played the Packers yet.

But on the flip side, B. Jones didn't play all preseason neither did Lawrence, Quinn just got off suspension and guys like LVE are still pretty green as far as the NFL goes, so there is definitely reason to believe they can get better. My opinion can change as the season wears on....

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.
It’s a good question. I’d say in Cap era to win a Super Bowl you need either an Elite QB or defense.

And you need to be dominant on one side of the ball and at least average to slightly above average on the other side.

If Dak and our offense continue playing at this level our defense might be enough.

quickccc

Reaction score

Be honest, ..without looking at stats, google and using your eyes and thoughts - if we were to face Tom Brady and the Pats, which will be very likely, do you favor our chances going up
against that offense in the Super bowl ? Would you feel confident ?
Even without a true pass rush and no ball hawks that can't create INTs and turnovers, ..how do you like our chances ?

but in the NFC playoffs before that SB? :

- vs Aaron Rodgers ? He continues to be a menace and regularly kills us because we simply cannot disrupt him upfront and we give up big plays- (See upcoming Oct. 6th)

- vs Russell Wilson ? our best chance is to get him playing here at AT&T, rather than in Seattle where it's so tough to win up there. And we have to make them one
dimensional and disrupt him upfront ( as we will with any playoff QB) but he will wing it and go after our DB unit.

- vs Brees ? - maybe it depends where game is played, but what are the chances of shutting him down TWICE ?

- vs Matty Ice ? - even though they have Julio, Ridley, Freeman, i'm not as scared off on ATL as the others, Ryan seems so up and down and at his most vulnerable on the road.

- vs Wentz ? - it would be interesting to see what Wentz when he has his regular weapons when Desean, Jeffries and Dallas returns to health, as only Ertz and Angulor has been competent.
But we seem to match up vs Wentz, even though it always seems to come down to the final seconds of a game.

- vs M. Stafford ? - though he takes us thru the last wire as well, most times we manage to get the better of the Staff .

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Right now we dont have DTs to collapse the pocket,if i make a trade it would be for a DT.QBs just step up and complete throws.

I have heard a big fatty is not needed because they can't get to the QB? Da bears sure were flying around last night and collapsing the pocket and still stop the run also.

Status
Not open for further replies.