Be honest, is this defense good enough to win a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

staubach24

Reaction score
To be completely honest and barring major injury, I really question whether anybody can beat the Patriots this year. You can’t give Belicheck a defense like the one he currently has and expect to have a realistic chance of beating them. I’m not even bringing up the problems that Brady and that offense pose.

romonumberone

Reaction score
It depends how good the Offense & special teams play is. On it's own merit the Defense is not winning a SB. It's pretty much the same Defense as last year. Can the Cowboys win a SB with this Defense? Yes.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I disagree. Generally speaking if you can make the playoffs, anything can happen. Not always. But sometimes.

Except, it seems, with the Cowboys. They are really re-writing the history books. We roll into the playoffs with 11, 12, even 13 wins. And do nothing. Its incredible. We are never going to win a SB with the flying tomato clapper as HC. We'll do well in the regular season on occasion and make the playoffs.

But we'll never sniff an NFC Championship Game with him in charge.

Everybody knows it. But so what? Just embrace it. That's all we really can do.
if only we had Andy Reid.... wed have at least........... 0 super Bowls.... but at least we would also have a sub 500 win% in the playoffs.

Damn, at least I can dream

TheHerd

Reaction score
ANYTHING can happen in a 6 game tournament. You really think the 9-7 Giants were the best team in the league with the best defense?
Once that Giant D for healthy at the end of the year, yes, there were the best.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Not today it ain't. Maybe by seasons end it will peak. But it did enough today and that's all that matters. (We were allowing 5.2 per play in the first half. Second half, that dropped to 4.2.)

Reaction score
No. So far, we don't have a monster pass rusher, & suck as a group in getting to the passer. GB has two DEs they picked up, both named Smith. They have 7.5 sacks between them. That's a pass rush good enough to challenge NE. Us, not so much.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
IT'S THREE WEEKS INTO THE SEASON!!! Yall can't be this ignorant about sports in general.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Nope. Patriots and Bears have Super Bowl defenses.

We have a PeeWee Football Defense. Looked terrible ever since they Rams game and has yet to recover. I am seriously beginning to get worried. We may need to do a secret operation where we steal the entire Bears D and swap it out for our D. Hopefully no one will notice. We’ll call it Operation Jerry World.

Dre11

Reaction score
Boog just repeated what I said about man vs zone and how zone create those INT.

cowboyec

Reaction score
not allowing any more points than they do...they certainly have a chance to be.
long way to go.
we'll see.

coult44

Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.

First thought was ,
“Not yet”
I believe it will get better.

garyo1954

Reaction score
And you might ask how bad a bad defense can be and still win the Super Bowl?

The 2011 Giants were ranked 25th in points allowed.
2009 Saints were ranked 20th in points allowed.
Baltimore in 2012 was 12th in points allowed.

Can be done, but not a likely outcome (unless the defense plays well above their head for that one game).

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.

BBDB defenses tend to struggle vs tier 1/2 QBs.

Notice how many times Rodgers has schooled Marinelli.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I currently see us as a unit that very effectively plays the bend-but-don’t-break approach. We will force stops and will regularly hold teams to acceptable point totals, but are unlikely to force sudden change-of-possession type plays that impact a game.

Is it good enough? Guess that depends on whether the offense can perform at a higher level than it did in last year’s playoff loss.

Our Offense couldn't get on the field vs the Rams.

40 rushes 273 yards is a lot of time to sit and watch.

endersdragon

Reaction score
4th in points allowed (with 14 of our points allowed being in garbage time)... let's actually see this defense fail before you say it's a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.