Beat the Skins - Add a WR on the bye week?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They really need to see about adding a playmaker. I don't care what position he plays...I'd prefer receiver but they need to take advantage of teams tanking and try to get good value on a player.

fredp22

Reaction score
I didn't read the article myself, but a day or two ago somebody posted an article that said Oakland was willing to trade Cooper for a 1st round pick. If that's truly the asking price I would have to say hell no. If they would take somebody like Gregory and a 3rd rounder, maybe so, but even then the question has to be asked if Cooper is worth $13 million, and we would also have to consider how much time is left on his contract, and what other options we might have in the offseason. Unfortunately, given Gregory's history of suspensions and lack of sacks, I just don't see him being that enticing to Oakland.
Oakland wants a first but also read in another story they want a DE
Gregory and 3rd rounder if we can redo Amari contract to 3-5 yr at 7-8 million a yr could be good for both sides

Flamma

Reaction score
Gregory and 3rd rounder if we can redo Amari contract to 3-5 yr at 7-8 million a yr could be good for both sides

Oh they want a DE? What a shocker. Don't give them anything. I wouldn't touch this D. If anything I'd add to it. Pile on the impact players. Our problems in the passing game isn't just due to WR talent, it goes beyond that. If that's the case, Cooper isn't helping. Beyond that, I wouldn't trade them straight up for Gregory let alone a 3rd rounder as well. The Cowboys went through all of that crap with Gregory only to have him play well for another team? Screw that.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Why exactly do you say that? It looks like Austin is going to IR. This already weak WR corps is getting weaker.

I believe they'll make a move.
Because it almost never happens. There’s nearly no way it will happen. Especially for the players named by op.

Salaries are too complicated and draft picks are too valuable. The Galloway trade still haunts this front office as it should. As well as the Roy Williams trade. It wasn’t worse, but very close.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
If Dallas beats Washington, it leaves Dal at 4-3 heading into the bye and securely in the NFC East hunt.

Front office can't be happy with the WR production. Do you think they add a WR in FA?

Teams with depth at WR-possible trade partners

NE- Phillip Dorsett/Kevin Hogan
LAC-Mike Williams/Tyrell Williams/Benjamin
MIA-Stills\Parker\Amendola
Raiders-Cooper\Nelson\Lafell\Bryant

Players who could help us: Hogan, Mike Williams, Stills, Cooper

The Cowboys FO isn't that smart, they won't make any moves, none that matter anyway!

JustChip

Reaction score
You aren't trading at a premium? You're just trading. It happens every season.
Lately teams have actually been overvaluing draft picks, so you get solid contributors for low round picks (Gordon for 5th, Bennett for 6th, Ajayi for 4th etc etc). So youre trading at a discount not a premium.

There is no premium, so we should stop saying that. Who says the guy we'd trade for doesnt give us much more than we do now?

Then in the 2nd paragraph you say "I think WR is an area we can easily improve" after JUST saying in the 1st paragraph "I dont think thered be a significant upgrade for us" regarding the WR position. So which one is it? Is it easy to improve or is it not?

And you're saying don't trade a premium pick on a receiver, but also saying spend a premium pick on one in the offseason.

If you're going to use a pick, especially a premium one, it's better to get a multi-year return which is what you have with a draft pick. But you are correct, if a short-term (this year and maybe next) above average WR can be had for a 4th round pick, you do it. I've vacillated on Cooper because it depends on what stats you want to pay attention to. But I would give a 4th for him, maybe a 3rd and his 5th round option to see what he can do here for the 1 1/2 years. I'm afraid that won't get him though.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have loosened my thoughts on Cooper. I would give up a 2nd rounder for him.

I know he has the dropsies at times but he's also a two time 1,000 yard WR.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If you're going to use a pick, especially a premium one, it's better to get a multi-year return which is what you have with a draft pick. But you are correct, if a short-term (this year and maybe next) above average WR can be had for a 4th round pick, you do it. I've vacillated on Cooper because it depends on what stats you want to pay attention to. But I would give a 4th for him, maybe a 3rd and his 5th round option to see what he can do here for the 1 1/2 years. I'm afraid that won't get him though.

Agreed. I like what the Rams did last year with Watkins despite it not working out.

They traded a 2nd for him with a year and a half left on his deal. Watkins didnt work out in their scheme like they had hoped, so they let him walk after his year and a half was done and got a 3rd round comp for him. That's almost exactly the same situation as Cooper is in right now, except we have more weeks of exposure for Cooper and Cooper has done more than Watkins had at the same point in their careers.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh they want a DE? What a shocker. Don't give them anything. I wouldn't touch this D. If anything I'd add to it. Pile on the impact players. Our problems in the passing game isn't just due to WR talent, it goes beyond that. If that's the case, Cooper isn't helping. Beyond that, I wouldn't trade them straight up for Gregory let alone a 3rd rounder as well. The Cowboys went through all of that crap with Gregory only to have him play well for another team? Screw that.

I understand your point about not wanting to screw with a defense that is playing well, and also that the problems on offense go deeper than just WR, but as things sit, Amari Cooper has proven to have the ability to play at a top level in the NFL, and Randy Gregory has 2 sacks in 3 years. As for the team going through all the crap with Gregory, if trading Gregory could help bring in a high quality receiver then going through the crap wasn't in vain.

That said, Oakland isn't going to trade Cooper straight up for Gregory, and I don't even think they would trade Cooper for Gregory and a 3rd rounder like fred suggested. I just don't see that Gregory has any notable trade value at this point.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Hurns is a waste of a roster spot and the other two aren't as good as most fans think they are.
So how is Hurns a fan favorite then...?
And last weeks game should have shown you just how good Irving and Gregory are. Absolute studs.

Batman1980

Reaction score
So how is Hurns a fan favorite then...?
And last weeks game should have shown you just how good Irving and Gregory are. Absolute studs.

I'll buy Gregory as an absolute stud when he gets to Tank's level. Also, this is Irving's last year in Dallas most likely. If you can get anything for him, now is the time to do it.

Falco78

Reaction score
Cooper is a lesser Dez Bryant I'd give no more than a 3rd for him

Flamma

Reaction score
I understand your point about not wanting to screw with a defense that is playing well, and also that the problems on offense go deeper than just WR, but as things sit, Amari Cooper has proven to have the ability to play at a top level in the NFL, and Randy Gregory has 2 sacks in 3 years. As for the team going through all the crap with Gregory, if trading Gregory could help bring in a high quality receiver then going through the crap wasn't in vain.

That said, Oakland isn't going to trade Cooper straight up for Gregory, and I don't even think they would trade Cooper for Gregory and a 3rd rounder like fred suggested. I just don't see that Gregory has any notable trade value at this point.

Your POV is solid. No argument from me. My main point is that Cooper might not make a difference until we get our offensive problems fixed. If that's the case, we'd be on the losing side of the trade. I don't want to trade anything, picks or players if it's going towards something that's broken. Last week was pretty good but only because Dak had to use his ability to run to make a difference. Between him and Zeke it opened up the pass. I want to go back to 2016 where only Zeke had to carry the load to open up the pass. Because if Dak gets injured our season is over.

Out of our two backups I like Mike White, but he's not ready yet. He's a good passer with a strong arm but oblivious to his surroundings and pressure.