...beautiful actresses...

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Most definitely. :)

She is the one actress I wanted to look like.

Most women love Gone With The Wind because of Clark Gable.... I loved it because of her... she made me want to be Scarlett. I was so into her strength and how she stood on her own and took on the world... plus... she sure knew how to play men...LOL

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
She is the one actress I wanted to look like.

Most women love Gone With The Wind because of Clark Gable.... I loved it because of her... she made me want to be Scarlett. I was so into her strength and how she stood on her own and took on the world... plus... she sure knew how to play men...LOL

The search for the actress to play Scarlett O'Hara was a fascinating bit of cinematic history. Lucille Ball was a finalist - she never would have become "Lucy" if she had landed that role.

I didn't really like Leigh as Scarlett - thought she wasn't QUITE beautiful enough, weak chin, and not as stately, passionate, and romantic as the novel's heroine was. She struck me as silly and trivial all thru the film, not just in her frivolous pre-war scenes - but out in the fields "I'll never go hungry again"- I don't think the young Leigh had the strength to do that role justice.

K. Hepburn was the one to play Scarlett, I think.

I read the novel at about age 12 and could never identify with the wider historial context - the glorification of a way of life that never should have existed - but loved the subplot of Scarlett's lifelong, self destructive yearning for Ashley Wilkes - Scarlett is a truly great character in American literature.

So I had very mixed feelings about the character of Scarlett.

What I loved of Leigh's was some of her later work, particularly A Street Car Named Desire . Her Blanche DuBois - "the only unforgivable thing is deliberate cruelty" - that was fine.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
The search for the actress to play Scarlett O'Hara was a fascinating bit of cinematic history. Lucille Ball was a finalist - she never would have become "Lucy" if she had landed that role.

I didn't really like Leigh as Scarlett - thought she wasn't QUITE beautiful enough, weak chin, and not as stately, passionate, and romantic as the novel's heroine was. She struck me as silly and trivial all thru the film, not just in her frivolous pre-war scenes - but out in the fields "I'll never go hungry again"- I don't think the young Leigh had the strength to do that role justice.

I read the novel at about age 12 and could never identify with the wider historial context - the glorification of a way of life that never should have existed - but loved the subplot of Scarlett's lifelong, self destructive yearning for Ashley Wilkes - Scarlett is a truly great character in American literature.

What I loved of Leigh's was some of her later work, particularly A Street Car Named Desire . Her Blanche DuBois - "the only unforgivable thing is deliberate cruelty" - that was fine.

She was great in A Street Car Named Desire.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
I'd like to throw a vote in for Kim Novak.

Kim_Novak_03.jpg

If I were William Holden in the movie "Picnic", I would have sucked my gut in, too.:)

Myrna Loy.

loy2.jpg

Cyd Charisse. Known more as a dancer than an actress.

chiffon.jpg

Susan Hayward.

page2.jpg

You never hear about her, but Haya Harareet from one of my favorite movies, Ben Hur. I thought she had beautiful eyes. She only did 4 or 5 other movies, I believe.

benhur1959_hayaharareet_01.jpg

Also, Yvonne DeCarlo. A lot of people associate her with the Munsters, but she had a fairly extensive film career.

decarlo2.jpg

I guess in my case, you could say "the eyes have it".:)

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Wow, DLK, that's quite a film history harem. I'm impressed. ;)

mm.jpg
The beauty you see in the women from the golden era of cinema to me, was much more pure. As you mentioned in an earlier post on the subject, today it's more about sleaze. No mystery at all, as everything's on display for all the world to see.

Cyd Charisse reeled me in with her role as the silent dancer in "Singin' In the Rain". Pure seduction.

Kim Novak in the aforementioned "Picnic" was wholesome beauty. There were moments in that movie where she simply glowed.

Myrna Loy was just plain attractive. There was nothing truly outstanding about her, but all you ever noticed was her face. She didn't need anything else.

Yvonne DeCarlo was just beautiful. She wasn't the greatest actress, but it's a shame that so many people think of her as Lily Munster when there was so much more to her.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I'll most definitely add Berry to my list with Phifer, Judd, Theron, et al...
all true beauties, but only Jolie, imo, is smolderingly sexy.

And let me also add Zeta-Jones. She might be at the very top of my list.

Question for ibis - you've seen a few Cowboys games now.

who does Roy Williiams most hit like?

A) Rocky Marciano

B) Rocky Graziano

C) Rocky Balboa

D) Rocky of Bullwinkle fame
.....I actually knew two of those guys...Graziano...a middleweight,was not an overly big puncher...when I knew him,we both hung out at PJ Clarke's in the 60/70's...we'd talk fights and fighters...a dapper guy what stuck in my mind was that at his age (then) he was walking around at 63:64...(fighters when talking weight drop the 100 part)..Sly,I knew from UM...he was acting at the Ring Theatre on campus and I was dating a girl ,an actor who worked with him...nice guy,a couple of years ago,he got his degree from UM...I think the papers said his lifetime experience qualified him to skip over the few credits he was short (of)...my vote would be "A"...the brockton bomber was a BIG time puncher...tiny for (today's )heavyweights..he fought at over his career between 87 and 95...I've seen a bunch of his fights on film and my favourite was the first Walcott fight.....knocked out Jersey Joe,late in the fight,with a single punch,,caved in his face like an accordian....the moment of impact being re-printed on the back page of New York's Daily News...

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
That was Susanna Hoffs.

She had something of a solo career.

And where are those Spice Girls now? :rolleyes:
...me,loved the teeth on Sporty...and the really good looking one...Posh...did well for herself did she not...to finish up....great rack on Geri Hallawell...(I got nothing on "Scary")

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

.....STELLLLLLLLLLLAA!!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
And let me also add Zeta-Jones. She might be at the very top of my list.
If we're talking today I will agree with this and with Yeager on Halle.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Sorry ibis, I meant to add an "all of the above" to that quiz question. But you get full points for going with ' B '. Like Marciano, Roy can not not only deliver a killer punch, but any punishment he receives in the process, he takes with a grin on his face. That's what my dad always said about Marciano - your best shot(s) bounced off, and he stood there grinning.

We also have a few Grazianos around here - AKA street fighters, that Tuna is trying to teach technique. A few flying squirrels in coverage as well. No Balboas tho - that Rocky's too much associated with Philly, and like a Hollywood prize fighter would , the Eagles choke in a real life championship bout.

Growing up, boxing was as big in my house as football - may dad's two loves - he boxed some in the army and played semi pro ball for this long defunct team called the Providence Steamrollers, so I found that post very interesting.

Now don't tell me you've met Mickey Rourke. ;)

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Sorry ibis, I meant to add an "all of the above" to that quiz question. But you get full points for going with ' B '. Like Marciano, Roy can not not only deliver a killer punch, but any punishment he receives in the process, he takes with a grin on his face. That's what my dad always said about Marciano - your best shot(s) bounced off, and he stood there grinning.

We also have a few Grazianos around here - AKA street fighters, that Tuna is trying to teach technique. A few flying squirrels in coverage as well. No Balboas tho - that Rocky's too much associated with Philly, and like a Hollywood prize fighter would , the Eagles choke in a real life championship bout.

Growing up, boxing was as big in my house as football - may dad's two loves - he boxed some in the army and played semi pro ball for this long defunct team called the Providence Steamrollers, so I found that post very interesting.

Now don't tell me you've met Mickey Rourke. ;)
...yep...used to have a restaurant in South Beach...had it for maybe 6 months...you could shoot a cannon off inside...me...when it comes to parking and restaurants...I go for the first available spot...when we shook hands,it was me the Mrs ...and him and his bartenders...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ibis said:
...yep...used to have a restaurant in South Beach...had it for maybe 6 months...you could shoot a cannon off inside...me...when it comes to parking and restaurants...I go for the first available spot...when we shook hands,it was me the Mrs ...and him and his bartenders...
I knew it!!!!

This one's for you.

barbarella_biggun.jpg

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BTW, am I dreaming or was the thread title here originally "beautiful female actors."

Any female actor I've encountered from high school amateur to summer stock to the 'names' doesn't use the word "actress". They refer to themselves as actors.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Let us not forget the woman that sent many of our hearts pounding out of our chests when we were 10 years old... Lynda Carter. I had the good fortune of meeting her back in VA and told her how I was crushed when I found out she got married to her first husband, I thought she was going to wait for me!! She got a kick out of it but something tells me that she'd heard that many times before.

wwx1.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Irving Cowboy said:
Let us not forget the woman that sent many of our hearts pounding out of our chests when we were 10 years old... Lynda Carter. I had the good fortune of meeting her back in VA and told her how I was crushed when I found out she got married to her first husband, I thought she was going to wait for me!! She got a kick out of it but something tells me that she'd heard that many times before.

wwx1.jpg
An Arizona native.

We also have another native beauty from E! Network. Brooke Burke.

http://www.brookeburke.com/