Before you say we draft poorly

theSHOW

Reaction score
Dallas has become an average team at drafting over the past three or so years, which is improvement. They still aren't one of the great drafting teams, but hopefully something like 2009 will never, ever happen again.
Run the numbers...actually the Cowboys are drafting near the top of the class

perrykemp

Reaction score
As far as I know that Cowboy's haven't drafted a player who was initially selected to the Pro-Bowl (ie, discounting injury replacements, superbowl replacements, etc etc) since 2007 -- Nick Folk.

Cowboys players drafted in the past half decade:

2008 - No draftees selected to the Probowl
2009 - No draftees selected to the Probowl (Mike Jenkins went in 2009 as a injury replacement for Antoine Winfield)
2010 - No draftees selected to the Probowl
2011 - No draftees selected to the Probowl
2012 - No draftees selected to the Probowl (Anthony Spencer went in 2012 as a injury replacement for Clay Matthews)

The draft track record is certainly nothing to be strutting around about. They have not selected a single solitary player who was good enough to be selected to the probowl -- other than guys who made it as replacements for injured players, players playing in the Superbowl, etc.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nice breakdown but you're forgetting one important point. Being a starter and or an impact player on the Cowboys doesn't mean they would be a starter or impact player on any other team. Bryant, Lee and Smith are solid, but the rest of them may not even start on other teams.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
As far as I know that Cowboy's haven't drafted a player who was initially selected to the Pro-Bowl (ie, discounting injury replacements, superbowl replacements, etc etc) since 2007 -- Nick Folk.

Cowboys players drafted in the past half decade:

2008 - No draftees selected to the Probowl
2009 - No draftees selected to the Probowl (Mike Jenkins went in 2009 as a injury replacement for Antoine Winfield)
2010 - No draftees selected to the Probowl
2011 - No draftees selected to the Probowl
2012 - No draftees selected to the Probowl (Anthony Spencer went in 2012 as a injury replacement for Clay Matthews)

The draft track record is certainly nothing to be strutting around about. They have selected a single solitary player who was good enough to be selected to the probowl -- other than guys who made it as replacements for injured players, players playing in the Superbowl, etc.

Agreed.

People have used the "number of starters drafted" argument for years. Go back and look at the number of starters drafted between '97 and 2000 who were starting on the 2000 Cowboys. The numbers look pretty similar to me. Were those drafts successful too?

I like Lee but he was available at that slot because of injury concerns and those concerns have proved to be valid, no? It's not like they saw talent where no one else saw it. Same thing with Dez--everybody could see he was talented; it was just a question of how his character would hold up. So far, so good...but I wouldn't hold him up as an example that our front office knows how to go out and evaluate talent.

tm1119

Reaction score
So we draft as well as 3 other mediocre to bad teams? Compare us to Seattle, San Fran, New England, Baltimore, New Orleans, ect...I really don't care how our talent stacks up against 3 other teams who have no shot at winning anything either.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Nice breakdown but you're forgetting one important point. Being a starter and or an impact player on the Cowboys doesn't mean they would be a starter or impact player on any other team. Bryant, Lee and Smith are solid, but the rest of them may not even start on other teams.

Even the three you pointed out, have had their blemishes:
  • Lee: Uber-talented yet injured to some extent every season of his Cowboys career
  • Smith: His play has been very good but never great. As an example this year he is currently ranked by PFF as the 6th (out of 16) best LT in the NFC. Again -- pretty good, but not Pro-Bowl caliber.
  • Bryant: Had has trials and tribulations over the 1st three years of his career including the Cowboys having to hire professional babysitters, the Dez rules, etc. Currently ranked as the 7th best WR in the NFC by PFF. Again, very good, but maybe not Pro-bowl caliber based on his production this season.

slomoxn

Reaction score
Great post and breakdown, the Cowboys have done a fantastic job the past few years in drafting. I definitely have to give credit where it is due to JJ, (I just threw up in my mouth), I don't know if he is better at picking talent or is allowing his chosen employees do their job but things are better. He still has a tendency to make the splash (Morris Clairborne) but it is a lot less than before when he would sell the farm for the magic beans. All they need is someone that can get this team to get it together....

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
which needs to change. agreed

They do it year after year though so they are not learning. It leads to subpar depth & then they end up getting guys off the street which leads to well games like the NO one.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Running the numbers" is completely arbitrary, and if they were drafting near the top of the class, they would have a winning record at some point.

Teams are made up of more than three drafts. And this team has had a winning record and been the front-runner in the NFCE almost the entire season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Teams are made up of more than three drafts. And this team has had a winning record and been the front-runner in the NFCE almost the entire season.

I love your optimisim but how can you seriosly support the Cowboys team this year that looks like the same 8-8 team the last 2 years? Drafting for flash instead of drafting to mash. It's a losing philosophy.

SWG9

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think about him other than he's injury prone but some consider Mo a bust. I'm on the fence I guess.

Obviously it's a subjective exercise, but yeah, you could argue Mo is just as close to notable bust status as what he is to starter status right now. Doubly so when you consider what we paid to trade up and get him.

Although I like Carter, he was also benched earlier this season. Murray's likely on thin ice due to his injury history. Wilcox might be a player, but he's essentially starter by default right now.

We have 8 listed starters right now, but I could see that number going down to 5 next season.

MartinRamone

Reaction score
The fact that a player is a starter (ie Wilcox) doesnt mean he was a good pick, his level has been below average.

I dont think this list is fair, but whatever makes you sleep at night. Besides, the draft has 7 rounds.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love your optimisim but how can you seriosly support the Cowboys team this year that looks like the same 8-8 team the last 2 years? Drafting for flash instead of drafting to mash. It's a losing philosophy.

I don't think there's any reasonable disputing the fact that this team has drafted better under Jason Garrett. If we're going to be tough on him for the things he doesn't do well, we should give him credit for what he does right.

We haven't drafted for DL (which I assume is what you mean by 'drafting to mash') the last three drafts simply because of where we were with our existing contracts on the roster. This upcoming season was the obvious target for replenishing the DL youth.

And the only reason we look like the same 8-8 team is because we still can't field a decent pass defense. It has zero to do with the good players we've added to the roster the last three off seasons.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
can we include guys we drafted that are starters on other teams becuase they were never developed in Dallas?

...because I can think of 2 2nd Round TEs off the top of my head.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have made a list of all the players in the NFC East who were drafted from 2010-2013 who are either starters or important role players on their respective teams. I did this purely because I was curious but what I found was pretty encouraging/surprising.

Players who I consider to be Impact/Well above average players are in bold

I also included a list of notable "Busts" (Either 1st or 2nd rd picks who are not with the team or are not notable contributors to the team

New York Giants:
Jason Pierre Paul - Starter
Linval Joseph - Starter
Prince Amukamara - Starter
Jaicquan Williams - Starter
Jerrell Jernigan
David Wilson - Starter
Rueben Randle - Starter
Justin Pugh - Starter
Demontre Moore

Notable Busts: Marvin Austin,

Philadelphia Eagles:
Riley Cooper - Starter
Clay Harbor
Alex Henery - Starter
Fletcher Cox - Starter
Brandon Boykin - Starter
Mychal Kendricks - Starter
Vinny Curry
Nick Foles - Starter
Bryce Brown
Lane Johnson - Starter
Bennie Logan
Earl Wolff - Starter

Notable Busts: Brandon Graham, Nate Allen, Danny Watkins, Jaiquawn Jarrett

Washington Commanders:
Trent Williams - Starter
Perry Riley - Starter
Ryan Kerrigan - Starter
Leonard Hankerson
Roy Helu
Dejon Gomes
Aldrick Robinson
Robert Griffin III - Starter
Alfred Morris - Starter
Jordan Reed - Starter
David Amerson - Starter

Notable Busts: Jarvis Jenkins

Dallas Cowboys:
Dez Bryant - Starter
Sean Lee - Starter
Tyron Smith - Starter
Bruce Carter - Starter
Demarco Murray - Starter
Dwayne Harris
Morris Claiborne - Starter
Tyrone Crawford
James Hanna
Travis Frederick - Starter
Terrance Williams - Starter
JJ Wilcox - Starter

Notable Busts: None

Final Results are

Giants: 9 Total, 6 Starters, 1 Well above average player , 1 Bust

Eagles: 12 Total, 8 Starters, 0 Well above average players, 4 Busts

Commanders: 11 Total, 7 Starters, 4 Well above average players, 1 Bust

Cowboys: 12 Total, 8 Starters, 3 Well above average players, 0 Busts

In my opinion the Cowboys have arguably had the best drafting in the NFC East since 2010. One could certainly make an argument for the Commanders but that also hinges on what becomes of RG3.. I listed him in bold because of last year but the way things are going I'm not sure that will stay that way..

This also doesn't include undrafted contributors since 2010 which I am quite certain we have the most of (Barry Church, Dan Bailey, Lance Dunbar, Ronald Leary)

The Cowboys DO have the best Talent in the NFC East and have the best young talent as well.. It's time that translates but as long as you keep losing every close game with a good opponent it will be difficult. I don't want a coaching change because of all that comes along with (Change of staff, Philosophy, a lot of Personell changes) etc.. But If Garrett can't get us at least to the playoffs this year I think he needs to go.. He has what he needs to work with and even though the Defense has been a major let down the offense has SEVERELY UNDERACHIEVED.. That falls on him.

Excellent work. Thanks for the effort.

Common Sense

Reaction score
can we include guys we drafted that are starters on other teams becuase they were never developed in Dallas?

...because I can think of 2 2nd Round TEs off the top of my head.

Heh. On that note, when we talk about "good" versus "bad" drafts, are we specifically talking about talent evaluation, or how much value is extracted from each pick? Bennett and Fasano are perfectly serviceable players, but were they good picks for Dallas? This should factor in as well, shouldn't it?