Belicheat, Brady claim ignorance; NFL Statement Post #434

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Don't know why he would be the fall guy. If anything, this provides further evidence of tampering--A Patriots employee took the footballs

In other words, he took a detour. Not a stretch to assume that the Football were deflated during the detour.

So the question remains--who ordered it, because we know he didn't mess with Tom's Balls without Tom's permission or direction.

I meant that the Pats will blame him for whatever happened between the refs approving the balls and the deflations before halftime. It gets Brady and Belichick off the the hook.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The people who made the footballs arent buying all the BS. You need to stop also. Patriots cheated

Are you saying the manufacturer claimed that footballs don't loose pressure when they are pumped in higher temps than what the game day temp is?
I think you are the one full of it by just saying they said that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
No way they said that.
That's like saying water isn't wet.
It is 100% indistubatle fact that psi declines in cooler temps.
Zero debate.

They must have said something else

If you want to say the Pats cheated, that's up to you. You won't hear me say for sure one way or the other,but I do understand why people think they did.

Rogah

Reaction score
Are you saying the manufacturer claimed that footballs don't loose pressure when they are pumped in higher temps than what the game day temp is?
I think you are the one full of it by just saying they said that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
No way they said that.
Zero debate.

If you want to say the Pats cheated, that's up to you. You won't hear me say for sure one way or the other,but I do understand why people think they did.
The Wilson people don't seem to understand the situation. They seem to be defending their product against accusations it leaked air but, of course, that isn't the accusation. No one is saying it leaked air out of the bladder.

Oh but wait... they must manufacture footballs immune to the laws of physics.....

Staubacher

Reaction score
No way they said that.
Zero debate.

If you want to say the Pats cheated, that's up to you. You won't hear me say for sone way or the other,but I do understand why people think they did.

No way they said that.
Zero debate.

Google "Wilson football" and read the news stories. They are not buying Belichicks BS. It isn't just about the weather it's his stupid rubbing the ball, everything. Besides, regarding weather, do you really think Wilson makes nfl footballs that keep flattening the colder in gets, and in only an hour or two? I've left amateur footballs in a cold garage for years they're not deflated. Nfl games are played in much colder temps than 45-50 degrees why aren't the balls pancakes when it's zero degrees in Green Bay?

Please, all this hand wringing trying to come up with an excuse. The simplest explanation is the truth. A team that cheats had 11 balls that deflated and the other team had 0. There was not a perfect storm of scientific factors that made 11 of their 12 balls (yeah only 11 the 12th was a magical ball I guess) deflate while the other teams did not.

They have been looking at the ball boy already and he did something with the footballs in another room.

They cheated.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The Wilson people don't seem to understand the situation. They seem to be defending their product against accusations it leaked air but, of course, that isn't the accusation. No one is saying it leaked air out of the bladder.

Oh but wait... they must manufacture footballs immune to the laws of physics.....

The 12th Patriot ball is immune to the laws of physics too

Rogah

Reaction score
Google "Wilson football" and read the news stories. They are not buying Belichicks BS. It isn't just about the weather it's his stupid rubbing the ball, everything. Besides, regarding weather, do you really think Wilson makes nfl footballs that keep flattening the colder in gets, and in only an hour or two?
Apparently you think Wilson football are of such a high quality that they supercede the laws of physics.

First of all, the ball isn't "flattening"; it is losing 7.4% of its internal air pressure.

Second of all, it has nothing to do with the quality of the product, it has to do with the simple physics of cold air.

When you go out to your car on a cold Texas morning and the check tire light is on, it has nothing to do with the quality of tire.
They have been looking at the ball boy already and he did something with the footballs in another room.
The guy was in a bathroom for 90 seconds.

Gee I wonder what he could have been doing in a bathroom for 90 seconds. Certainly no one would ever go into a bathroom for 90 seconds to do anything biological....

Staubacher

Reaction score
No comment on the 12th Patriot ball I see. I get it that's even harder to explain than the 12 Colt footballs. And lol the guy was taking a wiz with the footballs.

Answer the 12th Patriot football, Dr. Try to do it with a straight face.

Apparently you think Wilson football are of such a high quality that they supercede the laws of physics.

First of all, the ball isn't "flattening"; it is losing 7.4% of its internal air pressure.

Second of all, it has nothing to do with the quality of the product, it has to do with the simple physics of cold air.

When you go out to your car on a cold Texas morning and the check tire light is on, it has nothing to do with the quality of tire.
The guy was in a bathroom for 90 seconds.

Gee I wonder what he could have been doing in a bathroom for 90 seconds. Certainly no one would ever go into a bathroom for 90 seconds to do anything biological....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Google "Wilson football" and read the news stories. They are not buying Belichicks BS. It isn't just about the weather it's his stupid rubbing the ball, everything. Besides, regarding weather, do you really think Wilson makes nfl footballs that keep flattening the colder in gets, and in only an hour or two? I've left amateur footballs in a cold garage for years they're not deflated. Nfl games are played in much colder temps than 45-50 degrees why aren't the balls pancakes when it's zero degrees in Green Bay?

Please, all this hand wringing trying to come up with an excuse. The simplest explanation is the truth. A team that cheats had 11 balls that deflated and the other team had 0. There was not a perfect storm of scientific factors that made 11 of their 12 balls (yeah only 11 the 12th was a magical ball I guess) deflate while the other teams did not.

They cheated.

Lol

They are saying their balls don't leak. That's not the same thing.
Jeez, of COURSE the balls loose psi in cooler temps.
And no, they don't keep losing air, they equilibrate to outside air temp, then stop.

As for whether or not they cheated, you won't hear me say they did or didn't....yet.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Lol

And no, they don't keep losing air, they equilibrate to outside air temp, then stop.

As for whether or not they cheated, you won't hear me say they did or didn't....yet.

They don't lose 2psi or more in a half of football at 45-50 degrees

Explain the 12th Patriot ball. Why did it defy Belichick's Law of Physics?

Rogah

Reaction score
No comment on the 12th Patriot ball I see.
That's because I didn't think you were serious. The 12th ball was taken out of play because that was the one D'Qwell Jackson intercepted in the 2nd quarter. So when all those unconfirmed reports are talking about "11 of 12 balls were measured as under-inflated" they aren't including the one Jackson had.

Just when ya think the haters couldn't display any more ignorance, someone finds a way. I knew it would be either you or YR. I had faith you would once again prove you have no idea what you're talking about.
And lol the guy was taking a wiz with the footballs.
What's he supposed to do??? Leave the game balls for which he is 100% responsible just sitting out there in the hall???

But ya... sure.... the guy emptied the bag and deflated 24 balls in 90 seconds....

Staubacher

Reaction score
That's because I didn't think you were serious. The 12th ball was taken out of play because that was the one D'Qwell Jackson intercepted in the 2nd quarter. So when all those unconfirmed reports are talking about "11 of 12 balls were measured as under-inflated" they aren't including the one Jackson had.

Just when ya think the haters couldn't display any more ignorance, someone finds a way. I knew it would be either you or YR. I had faith you would once again prove you have no idea what you're talking about.
What's he supposed to do??? Leave the game balls for which he is 100% responsible just sitting out there in the hall???

But ya... sure.... the guy emptied the bag and deflated 24 balls in 90 seconds....

Baloney

You keep making excuses.

Rogah

Reaction score
Baloney

You keep making excuses.
Excuses like a guy spend 90 seconds in the bathroom taking a piss instead of the ridiculous notion that he took 12 footballs from a bag, made sure he got the right team, deflated 12 of them with incredible precision and left with all 24 in 90 seconds?

Gimme a break. Even David Blaine couldn't pull that off.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Excuses like a guy spend 90 seconds in the bathroom taking a piss instead of the ridiculous notion that he took 12 footballs from a bag, made sure he got the right team, deflated 12 of them with incredible precision and left with all 24 in 90 seconds?

Oh you finally find something incredulous?

Not 11 balls with a 2+psi drop and 0 Colts balls with anything possibly more than a 1 psi drop (if that)

Not Dr. Belichick's ball rubbing theory

Not legally inflated balls no longer experiencing the claimed psi drop in the second half, when it's colder?

Not any number of convoluted illogical scenarios that lamely attempt to explain away the obvious?

A cheating team with an unethical man leading them got caught cheating again.

Doomsay

Reaction score
No way they said that.
Zero debate.

They couldn't have lost that much pressure, it's a simple formula. You also have 0 explanation why the visiting team's footballs stayed firm.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
They don't lose 2psi or more in a half of football at 45-50 degrees

Explain the 12th Patriot ball. Why did it defy Belichick's Law of Physics?

Exactly the temp was 50 at kickoff and about 45 by the end of the game, not exactly frigid weather.
The Cowboy/Packer game was 19 at kickoff, if we had been using the Pats balls they would have been like raisins. All wrinkled and shriveled up. The footballs used in the original Ice Bowl wouldn't even had been 3 dimensional, by Belichick's science, just a flat piece of leather.

o_O

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Lol

I think people are confusing two issues. I know I'm confused. The problem to me is the amount of air in the footballs. I seriously don't know the scientific answers to these questions.

Does just releasing air from the football cause the PSI to go down? Or is it some other measurement?

Can the pressure go down without any air leaking, just from the change in temperature?

What Belichick was describing sounded like there was still the same amount of air in the balls but the pressure was just elevated do to vigorous rubbing(I know). Once it settled, the pressure went down, but the balls didn't noticeably deflate. Is that possible?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

If the report is accurate all that it proves is the ball boy had possession of the all the footballs, not the refs. He didn't have to deflate the balls in the bathroom. Were the refs even still in the room when he picked the bags up? I'm sure the rest of the time he had the balls is not completely accounted for. He could have easily done it on the sidelines. Who watches the ball boy before the game? It would take less than a minute once they were out of the bag.

The Glazer report proves nothing and subsequent report doesn't either.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think people are confusing two issues. I know I'm confused. The problem to me is the amount of air in the footballs. I seriously don't know the scientific answers to these questions.

Does just releasing air from the football cause the PSI to go down? Or is it some other measurement?

Can the pressure go down without any air leaking, just from the change in temperature?

What Belichick was describing sounded like there was still the same amount of air in the balls but the pressure was just elevated do to vigorous rubbing(I know). Once it settled, the pressure went down, but the balls didn't noticeably deflate. Is that possible?
You and I both know the best to get air out a ball--poke a hole in it. :)

But normally, by far the best way to get the air pressure (psi...pounds/square inch) is to take a ball needle and let the air out. That will do it every time and that is how teams do it each week.

Next in line is put the ball out in the cold. It will eventually decrease the psi every single time. Colder temp allows the air molecules to get closer together. You can use water as an example---ice takes up less space than water, water less space than steam, etc. But it only decreases enough to equalize to the air temp, then it stops.

Another way, would be to sit something very heavy on the ball, but that enters into the integrity of the ball itself--and really, that is what the Wilson company wants everyone to know (truthfully) is not an issue.
The marketing dude from Wilson who said cooler air temp would not cause a drop in psi was flat out wrong. They developed the balls years ago, so there's no reason to have the developer from 70 years ago on staff. But you can be sure he would tell the representative to shut up. Losing psi due to colder air does not mean the product is flawed. It means we live in the real world where natural laws of physics apply .

In the end...
most would fairly assume (but not know for sure) that the MOST LIKELY reason a football would loose air is because someone took it our the normal way--with an air needle.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The 12th Patriot ball is immune to the laws of physics too

IMG_8306-0.png