Twitter: Belichick asked Jerry for a job after the Browns firing

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
I didn't see where Bill asked for a head coach job. Just a job. Just my opinion but Ithink Jerry hired Chan Gaily because he still had the triplets. Gaily was offensive and Jerry still thinks those SB were won only because of them.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't see where Bill asked for a head coach job. Just a job. Just my opinion but Ithink Jerry hired Chan Gaily because he still had the triplets. Gaily was offensive and Jerry still thinks those SB were won only because of them.
Considering he spent big to get Deion and Haley I would say he realized defense was important.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Actually, he hired Chan Gailey because George Seifert, Terry Donahue and to a lesser degree, Sherm Lewis could not come to terms.

There was no, oh, this is the best guy to work with the Triplets. Gailey was the last of the Mohicans as Jones is fond of saying.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Actually, he hired Chan Gailey because George Seifert, Terry Donahue and to a lesser degree, Sherm Lewis could not come to terms.

There was no, oh, this is the best guy to work with the Triplets. Gailey was the last of the Mohicans as Jones is fond of saying.
You are correct but I'll still maintain it was all about the triplets and offensive minded or having been around a great offense was main priority. As I side note I googled the hiring to refresh my memory. He asked Donahue to sign a contract with an insubordination clause which stated the coach would be fined for any remarks that put the team in a bad light. "mainly Jones" and only offered him coordinator money. Guess time ran out on the Jimmy team before he could try out the 500 coaches that could get it done.

Alexander

Reaction score
You are correct but I'll still maintain it was all about the triplets and offensive minded or having been around a great offense was main priority. As I side note I googled the hiring to refresh my memory. He asked Donahue to sign a contract with an insubordination clause which stated the coach would be fined for any remarks that put the team in a bad light. "mainly Jones" and only offered him coordinator money. Guess time ran out on the Jimmy team before he could try out the 500 coaches that could get it done.
That was no different than Jones running Dan Reeves out after a few days. He wanted and wants things his way.

He has made so many hiring mistakes since Johnson it is tragic.

This one with Garrett is a classic that has cost the organization far worse than Switzer, Gailey, Campo or Philips.

Last edited:

Alexander

Reaction score
And people think he would have had the same success here? No, he wouldn't have. He wouldn't have had the authority he needed in Dallas thanks to the lunatic owner.
But just like Parcells, it still would have had the franchise further along than it would have been otherwise.

Jones' idiocy is extremely powerful, but Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But just like Parcells, it still would have had the franchise further along than it would have been otherwise.

Jones' idiocy is extremely powerful, but Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time.

Jerry was desperate after the 2002 season and willing to give up some control if he could land a guy like Parcells with serious skins on the wall as an NFL head coach. He wasn't in that mindset in the late 90's and all Belichick was then anyway was a failure in Cleveland as the head guy. Jerry would have had no reason to make those concessions and give up any control to a guy like that.

It wouldn't have worked here.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I bet he glad Jerruah forgot about him. His whole legacy would've been lost.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Bill would have won one SB and Jerry would have fired him for getting too much credit.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Had two shots at hiring........after Switzer (1997 ) or Gailey (1999)

* As the heavenly angels collectively murmured off key utterances of W.T.SHEESE,,, every day all across the fruited plains of America a child snivels& crys upon witnessing the substitute mail man run over their pet dog, while driving away & waving bye-bye,,,, with every heart open& every head bowed,,, lettuce preyo_O

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I suspect they knew who he was
He had been a coordinator and HC
He did fail as a HC though
Well, that's debatable, as the primary hand picked inner core of his assembled Coaching staff , nailed it square over in Baltimore in an immediate rapid fashion,,, and were it not for the Footballish eye having been instilled unto them thru the tutelage of HEAD COACH B.B.,,, that Ravens Lombardi never ever would've happened,,,just saying ya knowo_O