Belichick Coming to Dallas could happen

wileedog

Reaction score
He was our starting nickel corner when he was cut, the fact you don't know that is telling.
I don't remember our starting nickel corner for a half season in 2015 therefore everything I post is invalid.

Also again, why was Marion Barber not cut if uniform violations were so important and Garrett had such an iron lock on the team?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't remember our starting nickel corner for a half season in 2015 therefore everything I post is invalid.

Also again, why was Marion Barber not cut if uniform violations were so important and Garrett had such an iron lock on the team?

The fact you didn't know the name of a player from four years ago says something.

And White wasn't cut just for the uniform violation, it was obviously an accumulation of things. MBIII obviously didn't have that baggage.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
"At least I won't be walking around here on eggshells anymore." Does that sound like a guy who wanted Parcells back?

And honestly if you have "shown me several instances" where this wasn't true I don't remember them. You're right I haven't been around much due to work and lack of enthusiasm for this team, but if you have something other than Jerry saying some platitudes about Bill leaving that any owner is going to say about an outgoing HOF I'd like to see them. Because his actions for many, many years after the fact point to him not wanting a HC with any sort of gravitas in the locker room.

Nope, believe my take or do not based on what fits the facts. Jerry has had opportunities to bring in established coaches like Gruden or even Dan Reeves as a consultant and has avoided them like the plague. He clearly does not want a challenge to his authority.

Bill Belichick has 6 Super Bowls. Urban Meyer not so much. And Parcells took the job then left when Jerry shoved TO down his throat. Granted Belichick of the same generation that Parcells is that might find the job is special, but more and more in the league the Cowboys are just another team.

I have said I have no way of knowing what Belichick's motivations are at this point. But I think he has pretty much already established that he is one of the greatest if not greatest coaches of all time, and whether he leaves NE for Dallas or not that pretty much will not change. I don't think he needs a resume polisher at this point.

And I also think the star is quite a bit tarnished right now. 25 years without so much as a NFC CG game I think the job is diminished. Rams HC Sean McVay was 10 years old the last time we won a Superbowl. Think the Cowboy job would mean anything special to him if for some reason he and the Rams split?

I have no idea what that means and its not sourced. Parcells was a dominating personality that kept you on your toes. A lot of people see the value in that. What Jerry said when Parcells retired is unequivocal.

“Clearly, we wanted Bill to return for next season, but I am completely understanding and respectful of his decision to retire from coaching.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/23/sports/football/23parcells.html

And far all of your entitled disappointment, Cowboys games are still the most watched every year. The game a week ago was the most watched NFL game in years. Belichick coming here, overcoming the stigma perceived or not, and winning a title would be one accomplishment he has not accomplished. No other franchise in football can say the same.

wileedog

Reaction score
I have no idea what that means and its not sourced. Parcells was a dominating personality that kept you on your toes. A lot of people see the value in that. What Jerry said when Parcells retired is unequivocal.
It was pretty widely posted at the time, it's not like I am making up a quote like that out of thin air.

Clearly, we wanted Bill to return for next season, but I am completely understanding and respectful of his decision to retire from coaching.

So banal owner speak. That's your "showing me several times I am wrong?" What was he going to say to the media "Woohoo, that fat ******* is finally out of here!"

Again, what has been Jerry's behaviour since then? Did he try to find another HOF level coach like Parcells and give him control? Or put in Wade and Garrett who were more than fine with Jerry's input?

And far all of your entitled disappointment, Cowboys games are still the most watched every year. The game a week ago was the most watched NFL game in years. Belichick coming here, overcoming the stigma perceived or not, and winning a title would be one accomplishment he has not accomplished. No other franchise in football can say the same.

LOL, would he win one here and then move on to winning one with the Bears, because they are a heritage franchise that haven't won anything in years? Then maybe the Lions? Or the Browns?

Do you think BB gives two deflated footballs about the TV ratings?

Again, at this point we are both *completely* speculating. I have zero idea what Belichick feels he has left to accomplish and I think it far more likely he retires with Brady this offseason than any other outcome. But to think to come here and work with a self-absorbed fingers-in-the-pie owner like Jerry just so he can maybe win something for the Cowboys just because they are the Cowboys doesn't seem a likely option to me. YMMV.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Belichick is on record stating that the single most important piece to any hc gig, is an owner that doesn't meddle with football operations...

Just saying

McClay is the long term problem here. He's largely GM, and I think Stephen intends to make him that when Jerry dies. No one even has the title GM in NE, so I think Belichick is it.

Mark

Reaction score
It would be quite something to see a fiery, animated coach in the mold of Jimmy Johnson come to Dallas. But I'm living in the past.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It was pretty widely posted at the time, it's not like I am making up a quote like that out of thin air.

So banal owner speak. That's your "showing me several times I am wrong?" What was he going to say to the media "Woohoo, that fat ******* is finally out of here!"

LOL, would he win one here and then move on to winning one with the Bears, because they are a heritage franchise that haven't won anything in years? Then maybe the Lions? Or the Browns?

Do you think BB gives two deflated footballs about the TV ratings?

Again, at this point we are both *completely* speculating. I have zero idea what Belichick feels he has left to accomplish and I think it far more likely he retires with Brady this offseason than any other outcome. But to think to come here and work with a self-absorbed fingers-in-the-pie owner like Jerry just so he can maybe win something for the Cowboys just because they are the Cowboys doesn't seem a likely option to me. YMMV.

That was just the one that first pulled up. Banal or not, it is clear with no evidence to the contrary. It is not speculation either.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
That was just the one that first pulled up. Banal or not, it is clear with no evidence to the contrary. It is not speculation either.
what about the video taped on a phone where he calls Parcells a ***!!!v drunk as usual. Google that

wileedog

Reaction score
The fact you didn't know the name of a player from four years ago says something.
That I have a life?

And White wasn't cut just for the uniform violation, it was obviously an accumulation of things. MBIII obviously didn't have that baggage.
This is dumb. White started for 3 games and I bet Jerry doesn't even remember who the heck he is, but yeah Garrett had such control and power in the locker room that he could cut him without Jerry's blessing. Wow, that's an iron fist in the locker room alright..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That is fair. There have been rumblings for years now that BB and Kraft's relationships has soured too.

Thing is that BB's contract is year to year and I would hope that at least Jones would make the call and see what happens. I cannot think of a better case scenario.

Exactly, and you never know. What's the worst case scenario for Jerry to call Belichick and tell him he can coach here?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree the past 25 years have been mostly about Jerry's ego. But I don't think bringing in a coach like Belechek is analogous to Jimmy. I love Jimmy Johnson, but the man is an egomaniac and he was socially very rude to Jerry. He looked at Jerry as a football buffoon and treated him accordingly. BUT, though Jimmy came up with the Walker trade and worked out all the details, it was Jerry who talked Walker into accepting the trade and paid him 1 million dollars thus making it possible. Without Jerry coming to the rescue, that trade never happens. Jerry also brought in Charles Haley and sold him on Dallas. So, Jerry had a right to think he deserved some credit AND more respect from the men he paid. We all know the story.

Well, its 25 years later and here comes Bill Belechek.............a man with nothing to prove and half Jimmy's ego. I don't think there would be any kind of battle for credit, b/c Belechek doesn't require it. Its a completely different dynamic.

Exactly why I think Belichick and Jerry would be the perfect match. I think Belichick knows that he has nothing to prove. Jerry would probably do his best to accommodate Belichick to try and win the Super Bowl knowing the caliber of coach Bill is. It's perfect!

wileedog

Reaction score
No, it is basic PR. It is not proof of ANYTHING. Every fired/quitting coach in the history of pro sports has been feted on the way out door. Leon Hess probably sang Rich Kotite's praises out the door.

Again, look at Jerry's actions in the 13 years since this has happened. Has he hired *anyone* like Parcells that has any challenge to his authority, or given *anyone* any measure of control like he did Parcells?

You can have your media quotes. 13 years of Jerry's behavior since then speak much louder.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In his own cryptic conversations, Jerry probably has already asked Bill.
Follow the recent events:
Garrett's name pops up as top guy for Giants-HC.
Jerry shares his story about Bill.
Bill compliments Cowboys players (as he does every opponent).
Jerry compliments Bill and his coaches after loss.

It's unlikely, for sure. But hey, this is the Dallas Cowboys!
"The Big Room" as the Bug Tuna once said just before taking the job.

Plus, if Brady is finally beginning to fade, Bill already knows it.
He'd be wise to get out first. And Jerry's hand won't cramp up while
making the one signing every team in the league would want.

Or maybe it's just my buzz... lol.

I think you're spot on, and I really think this may be the splash Jerry is after when it comes to coaching. Plus, can you IMAGINE our division rival boards reacting to us hiring Belichick? My word!!! The meltdown that would be the Eagles board would be HILARIOUS!!

wileedog

Reaction score
"I'm too cool to know football" says something also.
I don't know football because I don't remember a 3 game starter at nickel from 5 years ago.

I think you may be overplaying this one just a tad.