Belichick out in New England

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Thought he’d get one more year. His talent evaluation and draft performance the last few years justify his departure. I’d be shocked if he’s unemployed next season, though. Teams that need a foundation laid will line up for him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tom Brady has been Belly's legacy.
Belly simply has not been same since.

and even Brady's final dayz, Belly could not provide TB with quality WRs -and the WR issues never
got better with Mac Jones.

Despite total control and power over personnel and coaching, he's failed at putting together a legit contender again.
Bust draft picks, failed coaching staff. - especially at the offensive end since Josh Daniels departed.

I do think with the right personnel, Belly can still be a great defensive coach.
But it's clear he has to have the right football leading his player personnel dept.
he has to have his OC guy ( Patricia & Brien were horrible) .and he has to have his QB.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
To think, Dave Campo and Bill Belichick were hired months apart to take over the Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots, respectively.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Tom Brady has been Belly's legacy.
Belly simply has not been same since.

and even Brady's final dayz, Belly could not provide TB with quality WRs -and the WR issues never
got better with Mac Jones.

Despite total control and power over personnel and coaching, he's failed at putting together a legit contender again.
Bust draft picks, failed coaching staff. - especially at the offensive end since Josh Daniels departed.

I do think with the right personnel, Belly can still be a great defensive coach.
But it's clear he has to have the right football leading his player personnel dept.
he has to have his OC guy ( Patricia & Brien were horrible) .and he has to have his QB.
It'll be fascinating to see what Bill looks for in his next stop. I'm seeing some folks suggest that a rebuilding gig wouldn't be what he's after at this stage of his career and that he'd be more likely to end up at a place whose roster is playoff-ready.

But it's hard for me to envision him as a Mr. Fix-It type coach. He seems like a guy whose philosophy and way of doing business needs to take deep root in an organization in order to sprout success -- and does that happen without overhauling a team?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The way Brady just popped on to Tampa Bay and won the Super Bowl may suggest is was Brady and not Belichick to credit for the Patriots success.
That roster in TB was insanely good. Would have been way better than 11-5 with Belichick.

As a GM though, he's not that great. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It'll be fascinating to see what Bill looks for in his next stop. I'm seeing some folks suggest that a rebuilding gig wouldn't be what he's after at this stage of his career and that he'd be more likely to end up at a place whose roster is playoff-ready.

But it's hard for me to envision him as a Mr. Fix-It type coach. He seems like a guy whose philosophy and way of doing business needs to take deep root in an organization in order to sprout success -- and does that happen without overhauling a team?
I think the Bills are similar, even if they both hate each other. Belichick could pull a Parcells and come to a franchise and live with it, but if anything went south, he'd tear up the place like Parcells did in Dallas.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
There's a difference between a great QB and a QB who is regarded as the greatest of all-time who was willing to play for less than top dollar so the pieces could be signed around him. What is Belichick without Tom Brady? He's a coach with a losing record (29-36) with one play-off appearance and 0 victories. And, he only lucked into finding Brady. Bledsoe was the starter until he got knocked out. And a cheater. And I've heard people say that everyone does the things he got caught doing. If he's so great, why is he the only one was ever caught?
I'm sure Bill had nothing to contribute to the SBs when Brady had stinkers in the playoffs and the defense stepped up so the team could still win.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Nick Saban, Pete Carrol also some highly tenured HCs out.. also Harbaugh might leave Michigan.

If there were any year that a team like a playoff team wanted to make it crazy move at head coach and fire somebody you know like the Cowboys or the Eagles you know something out of left field this will be the year to do it because there's some high end talent out there.... Not saying that Bill Belichick or any of these guys can actually improve a playoff team but again this would be the year to do it in my opinion..

I know a lot of the fan base want some new young gun out of the blue college football guru or someone low in on another team that looks like one part of their group is really good but sometimes when you have a team with a small window open that's full of veterans ready to win a Super Bowl now it's better to go get one of these guys to help push you over the hump....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Meh. He got caught cheating......twice.
nah strategery LOL better to ask for forgiveness then permission.... Look at what Harbaugh did with Michigan what's the difference they didn't feel like they were cheating they still never truly proved it...

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The game does not pass by great coaches
Strongly disagree. I'm not saying that the game has passed Bill because he has been so far ahead of the game for so long.

But coaches like Landry, Knox, Noll couldn't see how drastically the rules changes, etc., were impacting how the game was being played.

They all deserve the respect they earned but at some point it's time to move on no matter how great you have been.

Really odd to me that the Patriots & Seahawks haven't treated these guys with more respect. I can understand thinking it's time to move on but you would think they would have gone to these guys & said we don't want to do anything to tarnish your legacy. Then let them craft their own exit.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
If I'm a Patriots fan and they hire Bill O'Bortion as the next head coach, I'd just retire as a Patriots fan! ZeroBrien needs to go to Washington.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
There's a difference between a great QB and a QB who is regarded as the greatest of all-time who was willing to play for less than top dollar so the pieces could be signed around him. What is Belichick without Tom Brady? He's a coach with a losing record (29-36) with one play-off appearance and 0 victories. And, he only lucked into finding Brady. Bledsoe was the starter until he got knocked out. And a cheater. And I've heard people say that everyone does the things he got caught doing. If he's so great, why is he the only one was ever caught?
If Bill is a cheater then Brady is an accessory. It is Ok for both of them to have been great. Brady might not have won with Tampa had KC not lost it's entire O-Line prior to the game. Bill's defence won the first 3 Rings, not Tom's arm. And Bill's defence won the Giants 2 Superbowls.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would retire if I were him. He's proven everything already, and he's old and rich. Why not just travel to some fun and interesting places and enjoy life?
Fun for him is coaching football. He will be miserable in retirement without it.

He’s just built different