Bell Dirty Tackle?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That was an excellent tackle.

Years ago when a group of guys would get together to play tackle football on the weekend, I had a friend that was very good at yanking you to the ground, using an arm bar type move, if you tried to straight arm him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Stiff arm is legal as long as the arm is simply extended to avoid the tackle. What they banned was the punches to the face that some of the ball carriers were doing to avoid being tackled.
Correct.

Frustrating how the referees are not calling them stiff-arm punches to the face as fouls as they should.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Can’t imagine the amount of crying on the forum there’d be if this was some opposing teams’ player doing this to a Cowboys player.

BTW, I don’t think the play was dirty at all. Just calling out the tenderhearts.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Too fast to be dirty.

That said....the whole stiff arm to the face everyone is complaining about in here (don't stiff arm me and you won't get your arm broken) is ludicrous as well....as EVERY team does this...including us....every game.

So I won't call this dirty...just bad luck....and when CeeDee stiff arms someone this week or in the Philly rematch, if they grab his arm and pulls him down and breaks it, I won't call that dirty either.

It's human nature for them to be calling this dirty.....just like everyone in here was complaining about SanFran hurting Tony Pollard last year by drop tackling him ....which is also not an illegal tackle.

So the eagle site is wrong....but everyone in here was whining just like them last year with Pollard....so a bit hypocritical

plymkr

Reaction score
Not dirty. Smaller guy tackling a bigger guy and the takedown was a combination of body positioning and physics.

Had Goedert not extended his arm, he wouldn’t have broken it— bad luck for him, pure and simple.
I don’t feel it was dirty or malicious by Bell. Just unfortunate.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I don't even think Bell could see what he was doing.

He had a hand in his face covering his vision.... he looked like he just grabbed whatever his hands latched onto...sight unseen....and let gravity do the rest.

All at 100 mph.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Because it’s not a foul.
It's supposed to be a foul. You can't punch someone in the facemask as a means of stiff-arming. A stiff-arm is perfectly legal as long as the ball carrier doesn't deliver a blow with his open/closed hand when using the stiff arm and doesn't grasp the defender's facemask.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
BTW....I really haven't seen any sort of complaints from their team, players, or fans about this.

This "source" looks like some rinky dink blogger, posting a quote from some rinky dink local morning news person.

This seems beyond fringe.....so not sure the narrative being suggested here is real. Pretty much everyone is just chalking this up to bad luck for the guy.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Too fast to be dirty.

It's human nature for them to be calling this dirty.....just like everyone in here was complaining about SanFran hurting Tony Pollard last year by drop tackling him ....which is also not an illegal tackle.

So the eagle site is wrong....but everyone in here was whining just like them last year with Pollard....so a bit hypocritical

I didn't post this for supposed Cowboy fans to come in here and attack their fellow Cowboy fans. That is not what this post is about. Just an FYI !

Your first 5 words of your post was sufficient to respond to my OP. I mean, your whining about Cowboy fans is pretty much over the top and really not needed if you are truly against whining. So, who is hypocritical? Reminds me of my ex digging up crap from the past. She had weak character !

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I didn't post this for supposed Cowboy fans to come in here and attack their fellow Cowboy fans. That is not what this post is about. Just an FYI !

Your first 5 words of your post was sufficient to respond to my OP. I mean, your whining about Cowboy fans is pretty much over the top and really not needed if you are truly against whining. So, who is hypocritical? Reminds me of my ex digging up crap from the past. She had weak character !
I felt like posting MORE than my first 5 words. That's what this board is about...expressing ur opinions. I'm not whining about anything....just explaining how people could let their emotions lead them to come to a wrong conclusion ...just like many people in here did about Pollard. It's called relating to past experiences, to understand what's being said now.

And as I just mentioned.....after looking at that link you posted....I realized that's just some random blogger dude. You or I could post articles on that site if we wanted to.

Nobody....including eagles people or fans....thinks this was anything other than bad luck.

FaSho

Reaction score
Honestly, if Ferguson or someone from our team got tackled that way...I wouldn't bat an eye. That's a football play, they're just hurt because he broke his arm.