News: Ben DiNucci is getting a lot of praise

csirl

Reaction score
I like what I see. Have been looking at the FCS Championship game as well as the highlights etc.

Big question. Why did he transfer? He had extensive gametime as a sophmore and looked good.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
True, I have low expectation for a 7th rd small school QB. I can't rule out he could become better than I expect but starting off I know he will have a lot of work ahead of him. I have always looked at QB not by the strength of their arm or the mobility they have but what is between the ears. I think the thought process of a QB under extreme pressure is the critical part of the game for QB. I have seen HOF QB who did not have the strongest arms but they could make the quick reads and get the ball out to the open man or getting up to the line and making the correct adjustment or changing of the play to attack a defense. We all tend to look so much at physical ability but I think much of the QB play happens between the ears.

We’ll see how it plays out for him. I’m going to try and do my best to stay out of the rest of these DiNucci threads because I don’t care to get into the same type of debates I had with those who had such high hopes for Mike White two years ago.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is that the knock on him? He's 6'3. That's about what Romo was, right? To me this is an average body. Lol
tom-brady-shirtless.jpg
I'm not knocking him, just saying he's not "big".

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Strong arm, accurate, mobile, and big.
All traits you mentioned above are spot on what you look for in a qb. I know nothing about this kid at this point but if they drafted him in the late 7th round as they in fact did, it told me his upside was of one in which the team didn't want to have to get in a bidding war after the draft for his services. So I'm interested in seeing him so off to you tube I will now go.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We’ll see how it plays out for him. I’m going to try and do my best to stay out of the rest of these DiNucci threads because I don’t care to get into the same type of debates I had with those who had such high hopes for Mike White two years ago.

I agree as far as there is no way of knowing what he will or will not do. Odds say it will not end well for him based on many late rd and undrafted QB, fact is very few will make it and the odds of being a great QB even slimmer. 30 teams passed, there were some teams according to DiNucci that he expected to take him as an UDFA, I know one was the Bears. I look forward to seeing out on the field this pre season and competing but really not expecting much in terms of starting ability early on in his career.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is that the knock on him? He's 6'3. That's about what Romo was, right? To me this is an average body. Lol
tom-brady-shirtless.jpg

Romo was listed at 6’2” but some didn’t think he was that tall. I remember an interview with Brady talking about how embarrassed he was to have to disrobe in front of everyone at the combine. He looked miserable. That pic looks like one of those before pics prior to a weight training program.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
No doubt he is, especially when he likes you. Randy Gregory and Dez comes to mind. But we all know there's exceptions to the rule. Look what happened to Romo? He loves Romo. Heck Tony named his boy after the family name. They were close and Jerry went along with Dak taking Romo's job. So you never know.

I agree..most people who own companies they let others do the management so they can observe the progress clearly from a distance without involving their emotion in the process..... it's like creating a buffer zone and that is one issue with JJ

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree as far as there is no way of knowing what he will or will not do. Odds say it will not end well for him based on many late rd and undrafted QB, fact is very few will make it and the odds of being a great QB even slimmer. 30 teams passed, there were some teams according to DiNucci that he expected to take him as an UDFA, I know one was the Bears. I look forward to seeing out on the field this pre season and competing but really not expecting much in terms of starting ability early on in his career.

The fact that teams that need a QB such as the Pats passed on him tells you he’s a longshot. You mentioned the Bears, they’re not expected to pick up Trubisky’s option. He’s going to be in a battle with Foles who hasn’t played well for any team but Philly. My opinion of Mike White a couple years ago didn’t set well with some fans. If someone wants to bring out a big bottle of anointing oil for a QB that we just drafted three days ago in the 7th round because they don’t like Dak that’s up to them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The fact that teams that need a QB such as the Pats passed on him tells you he’s a longshot. You mentioned the Bears, they’re not expected to pick up Trubisky’s option. He’s going to be in a battle with Foles who hasn’t played well for any team but Philly. My opinion of Mike White a couple years ago didn’t set well with some fans. If someone wants to bring out a big bottle of anointing oil for a QB that was drafted in the late rounds because they don’t like Dak that’s up to them.

I get that for some anyone but Dak seems to be their motto even a late rd pick. Myself I'm happy with the progress of Dak and feel he will continue to improve as the QB of this team. I heard time after time that it was Garrett that was the problem, it was claimed that he wasted Romo career yet Dak under the same HC was somehow to overcome it? Dak will have a chance to work under McCarthy and we will see how McCarthy and Dak work together

starfan1

Reaction score
Some can spin what they want but DiNucci is all about giving the Dak haters/detractors hope. The realists see him as a backup prospect but the Dak haters see him as hope for the future.
actually as a fan that would be great if Ben unseats Dak because that means we have another great QB. 2 top 10 QB's on your roster only the Pappy's and Super k's of the world would complain about that.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
The fact that teams that need a QB such as the Pats passed on him tells you he’s a longshot. You mentioned the Bears, they’re not expected to pick up Trubisky’s option. He’s going to be in a battle with Foles who hasn’t played well for any team but Philly. My opinion of Mike White a couple years ago didn’t set well with some fans. If someone wants to bring out a big bottle of anointing oil for a QB that we just drafted three days ago in the 7th round because they don’t like Dak that’s up to them.

Ok this doesn't apply to everyone

For one, we have no real backup QB and haven't unbelievably for more than just a few years, so there's that.

Second, Dak isn't signed and as of right now he could just play on his tag for two years, then what?

Yeah history and experience goes against his chances of being anything more than camp fodder, but he does have intangibles that you wanna see in a rookie. The fact that we just are one QB removed from a guy that came from a small school gives us all hope.

Not always about Dak

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Great post, Skaven! After reading it, I learned far more about what DiNucci is all about.
Thanks for that. It certainly does appear that Rush has his work cut out for him!:thumbup:

I'm definitely thrilled after reading about DiNucci's accuracy and quick release. So glad.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
actually as a fan that would be great if Ben unseats Dak because that means we have another great QB. 2 top 10 QB's on your roster only the Pappy's and Super k's of the world would complain about that.

For DiNucci to unseat Dak the same scenario that happened to Romo in 2016 would have to happen to Dak. Dak would have to be injured and DiNucci takes over and plays lights out. He would have to play so well that the Cowboys decide to stay with him and let Dak walk. The odds of that happening are extremely slim and none but don’t tell the Dak haters that.

waldoputty

Reaction score
here is a highlight video for rush
the ball does appear to take longer to get there?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I think like most of us, I was puzzled when I heard DiNucci’s name called. I thought they’d go with Gordon if they went QB, but really I thought they’d pick either Benito Jones or Thaddeus Moss.

But I’ve started to read about Mike McCarthy’s new pet project and people are saying some amazing things about him.

If you read one Cowboys’ article today, read this one.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/ar...d-a-controlled-play-maker-to-back-up-prescott

Start there. That’s about as in-depth an article that you will ever read for a 7th round pick. Here are some highlights.

About his accuracy..

About his decision making and ability to read defenses...

“He’s very accurate” is what McCarthy said.

I’d say so, 70.9% completion percentage (stats) and boy does he put the ball right on the money. Throws well on the run too.

Did I mention that the kid can scramble away from pressure and get first downs? In 2019 he ran for 569 yards and 7 touchdowns (his o-line wasn’t very good so a lot of the time he was running for his life)

I’ll just leave this last tweet here without comment. :)

Obviously the kid is a 7th round draft pick so expectations are limited......but damn he reminds me a lot of Romo and there is something about this kid that just may be.......something.

That said, big negative is that he will be 24 years old in November.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ok this doesn't apply to everyone

For one, we have no real backup QB and haven't unbelievably for more than just a few years, so there's that.

Second, Dak isn't signed and as of right now he could just play on his tag for two years, then what?

Yeah history and experience goes against his chances of being anything more than camp fodder, but he does have intangibles that you wanna see in a rookie. The fact that we just are one QB removed from a guy that came from a small school gives us all hope.

Not always about Dak

We don’t know for sure if we don’t have a backup QB because Rush has never had to come in and take over. He could end up playing very well in relief of Dak who knows. If Dak were to play on the franchise tag the next two seasons, his future with the team will depend on how he plays those two seasons. We’ll be left with no choice but to either pay him or let him walk. I don’t believe it will come to that unless he doesn’t play very well this season. If he has any intention of holding out the entire offseason and not participating in any of these virtual workouts he could set himself up for a rough season. With a new head coach and offensive system he needs to participate. With everything we’re building on offense with the addition of a new HC and Cee Dee Lamb I just don’t see a scenario where we don’t pay Dak. Nothing we’ve done is going to function properly without him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not always about Dak

It’s not always about Dak but most of it is. He’s taken a real beating by the fan base this offseason due mainly to his contract demands. Trust me, there’s a few fans on his board that wouldn’t mind going with DiNucci this season on his 7th round contract. Some have even admitted they’ll take any QB over Dak for the right price. It’s almost like they care more about finding a bargain at QB than winning.